Australia: Car Rental in Perth

Tjkbeluga

Think wont go beyond mandurah

Will drop by rockingham and fremantle.

I thinking to go weekday to avoid crowd lol. Anyway i will be going only 5-6 days on october. Weekend maybe in around perth area before heading back sh

ahemmm.....rockingham & mandurah?? bring a comfy pillow or dose up on extra strong caffeine. [:p]

↡ Advertisement

ahemmm.....rockingham & mandurah?? bring a comfy pillow or dose up on extra strong caffeine. [:p]

These two place i intend to cover in one day.

But then overnight in mandurah. See sebel hotel offers a really peaceful night lol

Any new/nice hotel recommendation near to city and offers free/cheap parking daily?

I was looking at fraser suites but parking not cheap. Another one is 4 points but parking abiut 25 per night

No one try Airbnb?

Remember to buy car insurance as the kangaroo sometimes appear out of no where.

And if you driving at night, stay alert and not chit chat as the gravel road is quite "driftty"

I recall driving at a slow pace of 55 km/h and skidded as I did not expect the road for gravel to be so slippery.

Also note that the speed limit when it says slow, 50 kmh, do go slow, because the bends sometimes are not that speed friendly.

If you travel regularly on SG road and it says 50kmh, sometimes you feel, its grossly exerated .. over there , 50kmh. just right for the bends.

And the rental cars there somehow drink more petrol then usual even if its a similar model in SG, so do pump at least 3/4 tank if you travel town to town because the pump there very very isolated.

And the petrol discount varies from pump station to different pump station even if ts just next to each other.

Any new/nice hotel recommendation near to city and offers free/cheap parking daily?

I was looking at fraser suites but parking not cheap. Another one is 4 points but parking abiut 25 per night

When I stayed there earlier this, between the two hotels I've stayed I'd recommend the following:

It's right next to the swan river so river-facing apartments are quiet with nice, unblocked view. Parking is free with ample parking space.

I stayed in a 2-bedroom service apartment that comes with a kitchen -- great for family stay.

And get an AWD if you venture onto unpaved roads. I got a FWD and nearly had to stay overnight in no man's land, if not for some help from a nice local lady.

• Praise 1

Why don't you check out swan valley wine area, can do wine tasting, beer tasting (drinking), chocolate factory honey farm etc. There is a great beer garden (Elmars in the valley) as well for lunch. Its about 30/40 mins drive from Perth City and has enough activities to keep the day occupied.

Save a day for shopping at their big shopping malls (carousel / Garden City) sometimes they have great sales at North Face etc

Fremantle market IMO not really worth going, it used to be great but not anymore, lunch there is great though. Would recommend lunch @ Little Creatures (and not cicerellos)

There are some nice places to eat around South Perth area (South Perth Esplanade), I recall there is an oyster bar there and great Italian food but I can't recall the restaurant name

As for car rental (No Birds) an ex staff told me their insurance don't cover night driving, not sure how true this is. If you have to use them you can engage their airport pickup/return service for convenience.

Fraser suites charge me 30 per day for parking, pricey but worth considering if you are staying with family,

Have a great trip

Think wont go beyond mandurah

Will drop by rockingham and fremantle.

I thinking to go weekday to avoid crowd lol. Anyway i will be going only 5-6 days on october. Weekend maybe in around perth area before heading back sh

• Praise 1

No Birds is the cheapest car rental in Perth based on my personal comparison

but there is a catch ...

there is no collection/return in airport ... i got a friend book no bird in city and then take public transport to city to get car then drive to airport to fetch family members ... it's a MPV and book for > 1 week ... so still worth it ... lol

and their insurance is very very basic ... seriously, much drive very very careful ...

Edited by Wt_know

Last time I rented from them confirm got airport drop off service (cost 50 bucks), but the last time I used their service was in 2007 so not sure if things changed?

Now I use budget at the airport, much more convenient [nod]

No Birds is the cheapest car rental in Perth based on my personal comparison

but there is a catch ...

there is no collection/return in airport ... i got a friend book no bird in city and then take public transport to city to get car then drive to airport to fetch family members ... it's a MPV and book for > 1 week ... so still worth it ... lol

and their insurance is very very basic ... seriously, much drive very very careful ...

I use Hertz for my rental in Perth. Try to look out for their online offers which can be pretty competitive.

I took their offer to upgrade from a Camry to Auris for a token sum (about $2-5 per day). The Auris comes with GPS where if I had rented the Camry and gotten their GPS it would have been more expensive.

• Praise 1

Don't need to rent their GPS. Now everyone have a GPS in your pocket which is your smartphone. Get a sim card from Optus and activate the $2 per day plan which comes with 500mb data daily. Used to be unlimited but after singtel brought the company over and introduced LTE, no more unlimited data liao. Damn it. Google Map is very reliable. I have used it to navigate from Perth City to Margaret River no problem.

Claremont is a nice place too. Can just take train there from the central train station. They have this family ticket (for 2 adults and 2 children) on weekend which is very cheap. Paid once and unlimited train ride for whole day.

I use Hertz for my rental in Perth. Try to look out for their online offers which can be pretty competitive.

I took their offer to upgrade from a Camry to Auris for a token sum (about $2-5 per day). The Auris comes with GPS where if I had rented the Camry and gotten their GPS it would have been more expensive.

Hi, when was your trip may I ask?

Did you also mean the aurion? Cos if its auris I don't think its an upgrade

Do you happen to know if the new ford falcon is in the rental fleet?

Hi, when was your trip may I ask?

Did you also mean the aurion? Cos if its auris I don't think its an upgrade

Do you happen to know if the new ford falcon is in the rental fleet?

I did my trip exactly one year ago.

Yes, it was an Aurion, thanks for the correction. I can't answer your question on the Ford Falcon. The rental booking is usually by luck of the draw. i.e. you book by class, in my case it was either Aurion or Holden SV6. Fine print will have a caveat "or its equivalent".

Booking in advance will lower the rental as opposed to going direct to the counter.

Hope this helps.

Don't need to rent their GPS. Now everyone have a GPS in your pocket which is your smartphone. Get a sim card from Optus and activate the $2 per day plan which comes with 500mb data daily. Used to be unlimited but after singtel brought the company over and introduced LTE, no more unlimited data liao. Damn it.

Singtel. Burdening consumers wherever it goes

Don't need to rent their GPS. Now everyone have a GPS in your pocket which is your smartphone. Get a sim card from Optus and activate the $2 per day plan which comes with 500mb data daily. Used to be unlimited but after singtel brought the company over and introduced LTE, no more unlimited data liao. Damn it. Google Map is very reliable. I have used it to navigate from Perth City to Margaret River no problem.

Claremont is a nice place too. Can just take train there from the central train station. They have this family ticket (for 2 adults and 2 children) on weekend which is very cheap. Paid once and unlimited train ride for whole day.

Their roads are relatively simple outside of Perth.

Margaret river some places have no 3G/4G reception. Can't even have phone signal along certain stretches. I would only get $2/day if I'm within perth itself.

Think i used optus as well, but it's the top up $5-10 dollars each time type of sim card

I used my AA card, think usually have discount at least with that card.

no need to think so much la ... just get optus $2 for 500mb/day

i just take the $30 for 15 days and i stay less than 15 days

which mean i can use >500mb per day with 4 x phone - 4 users, no need to top-up whatsoever

the counter is just next to the car rental counter at the airport

**pix taken from internet

optus%2Bqueue.JPG

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

yeah if u share then wuhua.

Lol i use abt 1+gb per month only here in SG.

no need to think so much la ... just get optus $2 for 500mb/day

i just take the $30 for 15 days and i stay less than 15 days

which mean i can use >500mb per day with 4 x phone - 4 users, no need to top-up whatsoever

the counter is just next to the car rental counter at the airport

**pix taken from internet

optus%2Bqueue.JPG

↡ Advertisement