Liverpool: Goodbye Yankees?

Vroomtattat

Football: Liverpool talks near 'final stage', says Saudi prince

RIYADH: Saudi Prince Faisal bin Fahd bin Abdullah said on Wednesday that talks over his F6 company buying a major stake in Liverpool are nearing conclusion, as club co-owner George Gillett visited Riyadh.

"Our negotiations to buy shares in Liverpool are ongoing, meetings are taking place and we might be in the final stages in the coming days," Prince Faisal told AFP.

Gillett, one of the two US owners of the legendary but heavily-indebted English team, was in Riyadh mainly to discuss a project regarding the creation of Liverpool soccer academies around the region, Prince Faisal said.

In recent weeks, both parties have admitted that potential investment from Faisal has been firmly on the agenda.

Gillett and club co-owner Tom Hicks have been seeking new investment in Liverpool after refinancing some of its large debt during the summer.

The two met with Prince Sultan bin Fahd, president of the Saudi Youth Welfare organisation and chairman of the Saudi League, on Wednesday.

"The purpose of the visit of the owner of Liverpool Football Club to Saudi Arabia is to understand the sports industry and to learn about the facilities and the potential of the main clubs in order to set up the Liverpool Academy in Saudi Arabia," Prince Faisal said.

The agreement between F6, a sports marketing and investment firm controlled by Faisal, would also provide opportunities for young Saudi players to train at Liverpool, he said. - AFP/de

Source: CNA

↡ Advertisement

To buy over the 50% from GG is already a good start. In terms of wealth, Hicks is never going to match the Prince. Hence, when the Prince starts to inject more capital into the club, Hicks will have to do likewise or else, his share will be diluted accordingly.n

GG to go first is better also as he is a pal of the ousted CEO Parry and Hicks is more supportive of Rafa.

I want the Prince to come in to reduce the debts placed on our club, fund the new stadium and give Rafa all the financial backing he needs to sign the top players he wants so that he will not have to settle for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice because he was priced out of the market.

dunno how Liverpool starting lineup will look like if they are rich again in the hands of the saudis...

Well, I do not think there will be an overhaul but I seriously would not mind having the following shirts available next season:

Villa - 7

Aguero - 10

Wow becoming a playground for these Arabs [sweatdrop] .anyway,i can only hope for stability and not chop and change the manager.gave him the $ and let him handle manage the club for another 1-2 seasons then see how it goes.

It's a good news for the club. With $$$ invested from the prince, Rafa will have less constraints when buying players. All the years we only heard his 'wants' but most didn't land in the club.

dunno how Liverpool starting lineup will look like if they are rich again in the hands of the saudis...

Messi, Ronaldo, Ribery, John Terry and Kaka .................. [sly]

together with Torres, SG, Masarano, Reira .....

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Picnic06

Football: Liverpool talks near 'final stage', says Saudi prince

RIYADH: Saudi Prince Faisal bin Fahd bin Abdullah said on Wednesday that talks over his F6 company buying a major stake in Liverpool are nearing conclusion, as club co-owner George Gillett visited Riyadh.

"Our negotiations to buy shares in Liverpool are ongoing, meetings are taking place and we might be in the final stages in the coming days," Prince Faisal told AFP.

Gillett, one of the two US owners of the legendary but heavily-indebted English team, was in Riyadh mainly to discuss a project regarding the creation of Liverpool soccer academies around the region, Prince Faisal said.

In recent weeks, both parties have admitted that potential investment from Faisal has been firmly on the agenda.

Gillett and club co-owner Tom Hicks have been seeking new investment in Liverpool after refinancing some of its large debt during the summer.

The two met with Prince Sultan bin Fahd, president of the Saudi Youth Welfare organisation and chairman of the Saudi League, on Wednesday.

"The purpose of the visit of the owner of Liverpool Football Club to Saudi Arabia is to understand the sports industry and to learn about the facilities and the potential of the main clubs in order to set up the Liverpool Academy in Saudi Arabia," Prince Faisal said.

The agreement between F6, a sports marketing and investment firm controlled by Faisal, would also provide opportunities for young Saudi players to train at Liverpool, he said. - AFP/de

Source: CNA

It is good to be rich.

Rafa needs to go. Fact is he is a lousy assesor of players' ability.

His win in Europe 2005 is a fluke. Of all the players he brought in that stand up to scrutiny is Torres and Jonhson. Rest are scrap value. That says a lot about his scouts and he himself.

Another very glaring thing....he is biased for Spanish players.

Reine, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Kuyt, Lucas, Aquilani, Voronin, Insua, Dossena....many more. Most of them should not be in EPL.

Remember his rotation policy? Was a huge failure and now he is quiet about it.

Sack Rafa and Liverpool will progress.

Rafa needs to go. Fact is he is a lousy assesor of players' ability.

His win in Europe 2005 is a fluke. Of all the players he brought in that stand up to scrutiny is Torres and Jonhson. Rest are scrap value. That says a lot about his scouts and he himself.

Reine, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Kuyt, Lucas, Aquilani, Voronin, Insua, Dossena....many more. Most of them should not be in EPL.

Remember his rotation policy? Was a huge failure and now he is quiet about it.

Sack Rafa and Liverpool will progress.

I beg to differ.

Only Red nose think that our Istanbul heroic is a fluke. Rest of the world has hailed it as the greatest comeback in UCL history.

Before you attack Rafa's transfers, we need to know that for all his big spendings so far, he had got it right. There is risk in every signing. You need to take more risk when you sign lesser known players who command a lesser fees.

He is biased for Spanish players? How so? As far as I see, those who is not in his plan will be sold, regardless of their nationality. If he is biased against Spanish players, would be contemplate selling Alonso to fund Barry 2 seasons back? Your argument don't hold water at all.

Reina not fit to play in EPL? I don't whether to rebute or just laugh it off. Aquilani, you failed him even before he plays for the team. Bravo. Insua not good enough? Maybe you should tell Maradona about it. What the hell he gave him his full International cap at such a young age.

Rotation? Check your stats, Red nose rotates more than Rafa, but no one points it out.

Recently, only Gillet blasted Rafa so unfairly. I really hope you are not him in disguise.

Reina should not be in EPL?? You better check. the 5 years he is at liverpool, how many time did he win the golden glove?

Biased on Spanish? i will say he is biased on Brazilian.

Aquilani haven even play and you write him off? That should sum out your verdict.

with due respect, dont you all think that time has proven that Rafa has to go in-order for Liverpool to break the duck ? this season doesnt seem to suggest otherwise ...

Edited by Vextan

I beg to differ.

Only Red nose think that our Istanbul heroic is a fluke. Rest of the world has hailed it as the greatest comeback in UCL history.

Before you attack Rafa's transfers, we need to know that for all his big spendings so far, he had got it right. There is risk in every signing. You need to take more risk when you sign lesser known players who command a lesser fees.

He is biased for Spanish players? How so? As far as I see, those who is not in his plan will be sold, regardless of their nationality. If he is biased against Spanish players, would be contemplate selling Alonso to fund Barry 2 seasons back? Your argument don't hold water at all.

Reina not fit to play in EPL? I don't whether to rebute or just laugh it off. Aquilani, you failed him even before he plays for the team. Bravo. Insua not good enough? Maybe you should tell Maradona about it. What the hell he gave him his full International cap at such a young age.

Rotation? Check your stats, Red nose rotates more than Rafa, but no one points it out.

Recently, only Gillet blasted Rafa so unfairly. I really hope you are not him in disguise.

I only know one thing......6 years in charge and the title is still not in-sight. That's not good enough for a team like Pool.

Arsenal didn't spend much either, but everyone that Arsene bought, they normally perform very well straight off from the start. And Arsene did won the title for Arsenal before.

We can't say that Rafa didn't have enough $$$. He used it to spend on people like Keane, Voronin, Lucas, Dossena, Degen, Babel but where is their impact? Instead of buying all these average lot, why not take the money and just spend on two proven quality players? Or, be like SAF and grab Owen at no cost but at least can contribute some important goals. However, instead he spend on an injured Italian for a bomb and hoping he could replace Alonso. I am afraid that the title race is already over for Pool when this Italian chap recovers.

So I do agree with Gilett. Money was there...so the manager has to be questioned on how he spend that money. 6 years is a long time. Why on earth do Pool fans so supportive to him I am not sure. If a company hire a manager and he couldn't produce the goods in 6 years, I am sure he will be fired long ago by any company.

So stop dreaming guys..as long Rafa is there, Pool fans can really kiss the title goodbye.

Its up to you since it appears that you're a die hard Pool fan.

But let me make my position clear, Rafa will not will EPL regardless of Saudi $$ or otherwise. Its definitely not this year.

Its his judgement that I question.

I'm no MU fan but I must say that Sir Alex is miles ahead in spotting, grooming, nurturing, and deploying his players to maximum effect.

Rafa is another Gerrard Houllier....good luck.

PS.....loev to see Mu vs Pool soon. Can you guess the outcome?

↡ Advertisement