Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)

Achtung

Did anyone buy the Steelmate TPMS that is on offer at the COMEX show now? Any comments on ease of use, reliability and cost?

Edited by Annapurna
↡ Advertisement

Is a TPMS really needed? I check the air pressure regularly every month.

Depends on your habit.

If you check your tyres every time before you drive off, then no need.

A tyre can go flat quickly overnight with a screw or a nail.

Checking it every month is not good enough.

You're only checking for low tyre pressure, in which case you'd probably top it up at the same time.

Also avoid all construction areas. The banglas tend to drop nails or screws near the road for your tyres to pick up.

• Praise 1

I'm using Fobo tire, got it during their launch. Silver and black caps included. Google to take a look. I'm not related to the product in anyway.

Product is made in Malaysia.

Pros:

- Direct reading on your smart phone

- Easy self installation, no need to take off the tire and replace the valve.

- Reading includes pressure, temperature and battery level of each sensor

- Allow you to set min and max pressure of front and back tires

- Allow change of units of measurement

- Change to another vehicle easily! Just move the correct sensor to the correct wheel.

Cons:

- May require battery replacement on each sensor every quarter to half year

- Alarm to alert low/no battery is irritating. U will get it until u turn off the unit, or replace the battery.

- A bit cumbersome when topping up air, esp if you use the theft prevention nut.

I check the tire pressure every week to ensure my tires are not under inflated (fuel efficiency), and when on a long drive down the NS highway to check the max temperature and pressure of heated tires. You dont need to check the pressure everyday anyway so a permanent display isnt necessary.

To me the pros outweigh the cons, so it is quite a good product to use.

Edited by cadbury

How often you check your tyre pressure ??

Device shown 4 tyres pressure and temperature.

Set your own tolerance level. Pressure drop or temperature went up.

Device will beep and give warning.

A must have gadget for all drivers.

With this you don't need to carry spare tyres in Singapore anymore.

Why pay more for same product else where??

BRAND NEW IN BOX

post-101248-0-57978500-1443545519.jpg

post-101248-0-86877700-1443545524.jpg

post-101248-0-17563400-1443545530.jpg

Please advise below. Still thinking hard whether to buy Internal or External TPMS....

1) Internal or External TPMS is better ?

2) For internal sensor, how long can the battery last before changes required?

Thanks.

• Praise 1

Depends on your habit.

If you check your tyres every time before you drive off, then no need.

A tyre can go flat quickly overnight with a screw or a nail.

Checking it every month is not good enough.

You're only checking for low tyre pressure, in which case you'd probably top it up at the same time.

Also avoid all construction areas. The banglas tend to drop nails or screws near the road for your tyres to pick up.

I do 1500 - 1600km/mth. Is checking once per mth enuff for pressure, bar things like nails..? If i have driven 20km in sg highway legal speed do i need to pump 5 or 10 kpa more than manual says to compensate?

I do 1500 - 1600km/mth. Is checking once per mth enuff for pressure, bar things like nails..? If i have driven 20km in sg highway legal speed do i need to pump 5 or 10 kpa more than manual says to compensate?

Assuming no nails/screws, at least check every 2 weeks.

For air pressure, this is quite controversial. The manual tells you to pump say 220kpa.

But other people tell you to pump more.

For me, I'll experiment with 230~240kpa for small petrol sedan.

The reason is that you get better fuel economy.

More air pressure, also mean less grip, but less heating of the tyre.

So you need to find a compromise.

At the extreme, a flat tyre when continued to be driven; overheats the tyre until it burst.

Edited by Kb27

If i have driven 20km in sg highway legal speed do i need to pump 5 or 10 kpa more than manual says to compensate?

About 15-20 kPa.

• Praise 1

About 15-20 kPa.  

Just to note, the "rule of thumb"  indicated in some websites is 4 psi ( about 28 kPa) between cold and hot .

Last evening I was unlucky enough to get a puncture from a screw poking into the groove of a tire. The factory installed TPMS beeped the moment I drove off and indicated which tire has low pressure. I inspected the indicated tire and true enough, found a screw lodged, but still driveable. Went to the nearest petrol kiost and inflated my tire with air so that I could drive home and to the workshop today.

The TPMS could detect that the tire was inflated with air and flashed me pressure warning despite pumping to normal pressure. My tires are nitrogen filled and only the punctured tire was air filled. What impressed me was that the system could even detect a tire was incorrectly filled with air when the others were nitrogen filled.

I am now convinced that TPMS is not just a nice-to-have gadget. It does serve warnings so that immediate corrective action can be taken.   

Err, I don't think the TPMS sensor can detect if it's normal air or nitrogen.

You do know that normal air is 78% nitrogen right?

does your rims have 2 valve stems? else, it's almost impossible to fill it entirely with Nitrogen as there's always going to be some "air" left inside regardless of how hard u try.

Well the TPMS system did tell me correctly that the single tire that I filled with normal air as a stop-gap measure was having irregular pressure. This was despite me inflating to the same pressure as the other 3 nitrogen filled originals. I am curious where the sensors are placed as to be able to tell me the Kpa of each tire individually. 

Update after tire was patched and I did a tire rotation while at tire shop. TPMS auto asked me whether I would like to calibrate the TPMS system to the new settings when engine was started. How did it sense that the tires had been rotated?

Each TPMS sensor has a unique ID which they communicate with the "master".

They are planted internally or externally in each tyre to read pressure.

It can't smell whether it is oxygen or nitrogen or whatever gas. It can only read pressure.

• Praise 1

As bro KB27 mentioned, each sensor will have FL, FR, RL, RR. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, a sensor can only detect pressure. It cannot detect whether it's normal air or nitrogen.

As bro KB27 mentioned, each sensor will have FL, FR, RL, RR. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, a sensor can only detect pressure. It cannot detect whether it's normal air or nitrogen.

most after market TPMS work that way, got a small screen that give u live reading of each indv tyre when ever u on the car .

most popular brand i seen around is ' ORANGE'

but like some bro mention his car inbuild tpms warning sound. he might be driving some conti car, BMW  esp, come with runflat and inbuild tpms, which u need to set after u fully pump the tyres, and when pressure lost the sign will come out.

but i dun believe bm, merc audi etc inbuild tpms will tell u which tyres is pressure low,

u will need to go tyre shop to check.

anw , normal tyres dun really need tpms, cos no air u will notice, (most driver will notice)

but a car with runflat, eg bmw, even if tyres 0 pressure, u might not notice if the tpms is not working properly

Edited by Beregond
↡ Advertisement