Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)

Achtung

Modern luxuries and pampers.. good to have, but not a necessity.

It might become a evil necessity when you get very OCD and skeptical with 1 PSI changes while driving.

A regular all round tyre visual inspection before moving off in the morning, diligently fill up with pressure every one to two weeks, is actually what we've been doing before TPMS. 

Some drivers overly relied on TPMS that they can't be bothered to check their tyres for bald thread, cuts and damages on their tyres, just because TPMS says all four OK,

• Praise 3

A regular all round tyre visual inspection before moving off in the morning, diligently fill up with pressure every one to two weeks, is actually what we've been doing before TPMS. 

Some drivers overly relied on TPMS that they can't be bothered to check their tyres for bald thread, cuts and damages on their tyres, just because TPMS says all four OK,

Agreed, visual checking of the tyres are important, I do that every couple of days...having said that I just purchased this set of TPMS

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zus-smart-tire-safety-monitor--2/x/17171484#/

Cost US$117 which is about S$160 inclusive of shipping.

• Praise 1

Modern luxuries and pampers.. good to have, but not a necessity.

It might become a evil necessity when you get very OCD and skeptical with 1 PSI changes while driving.

I had an experience where a tyre with 150kPa looked very similar to one with 220kPa - slow leak caused by a screw.

It was not detected during my diligent fill-ups which were 3-4 days. 

In my previous experience,  if I was at the recommended cold tyre pressure at the start of the day,  I would probably be over pressure by about 1 PSI -  bouncier and lesser traction. 

Saw this on AliExpress and wondering anyone has any review on this TPMS?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-Alarm-Monitoring-System-4-External-Sensor-Tyre-Security-Wireless-LCD-Display-Cigarette/32713476783.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.269.3rrBPX

As a matter of fact, the price difference between this and the Steelmate TP-77 is vast...... Makes me wonder what's the catch.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-Alarm-Monitoring-System-4-External-Sensor-Tyre-Security-Wireless-LCD-Display-Cigarette/32713476783.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.269.3rrBPX

As a matter of fact, the price difference between this and the Steelmate TP-77 is vast...... Makes me wonder what's the catch.

Looks like this, which I just bought from Amazon for US$60 and shipped over via EZBuy.

I find mine ok, no problems so far but it has only been a week. I tested my air pressure with a digital pressure gauge before I installed it. I find the air pressure shown to be accurate.

I guess that if it is cheap enough, my heart will not feel so painful when it is spoilt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PW986P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed mine on my car in 10 min. It is very simple.

Edited by Madmax67
  • Praise 1

The bonus thing about the external sensors :

After I put them on the tyres, I find it rarely leaks. I didn't have to pump up the tyres for many weeks.

With a normal plastic cap, I've to keep checking and pumping the tyres every couple of weeks.

I think the push back from the sensor is keeping the pressure inside.

After I put them on the tyres, I find it rarely leaks. I didn't have to pump up the tyres for many weeks.

With a normal plastic cap, I've to keep checking and pumping the tyres every couple of weeks.

Hmm... that is interesting. 

I order oredi...shipped out....use as standby.....

Supercharged

pardon me for asking, external sensors refer to those cap TPMS?

are they accurate?

thinking of investing a set since every few months, i will travel far.

a good indicator to know my tires are ok.

Same feeling here.

are they accurate?

Yes.  External sensors are the cap ones.  You plug in the reader at the 12V outlet (see picture of mine).

Why do you need to invest a set every few months?

post-17929-0-47323600-1507788605_thumb.jpg

are they accurate?

its not that accurate for absolute pressure. anyway the pressure fluctuates due to heat. its a warning for low pressure so that you know there is a leak. if you are anal about all showing the exact same pressure that you'll be disappointed.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Yes.  External sensors are the cap ones.  You plug in the reader at the 12V outlet (see picture of mine).

Why do you need to invest a set every few months?

[laugh]

you got me wronged, i mean i will travel north every few months hence a TPMS is a good investment.

if i could ask more,

is steelmate a trusted brand to go for?

i think your model is TP-77

I'm quite keen in TP-S3E.

these external sensors, do they require battery? The usual watch type?

is removing them a chore?

I'm thinking of installing them for local use, when heading north, i will switch to another ride.

its not that accurate for absolute pressure. anyway the pressure fluctuates due to heat. its a warning for low pressure so that you know there is a leak. if you are anal about all showing the exact same pressure that you'll be disappointed.

I'm fine with that, at least a warning to tell me i got a leak or puncture will really helps.

I recalled i got a burst in my rear tire when heading up to Malacca..

lucky, i still manage to pull the car to road side.

[laugh]

you got me wronged, i mean i will travel north every few months hence a TPMS is a good investment.

if i could ask more,

is steelmate a trusted brand to go for?

i think your model is TP-77

I'm quite keen in TP-S3E.

these external sensors, do they require battery? The usual watch type?

is removing them a chore?

I'm thinking of installing them for local use, when heading north, i will switch to another ride.

I'm fine with that, at least a warning to tell me i got a leak or puncture will really helps.

I recalled i got a burst in my rear tire when heading up to Malacca..

lucky, i still manage to pull the car to road side.

simple to install and remove. i am using steemate TP75.

yes battery those watch type. should be easy to replace. have not yet replaced since using for 1year.

• Praise 1

are they accurate?

Yes, I bought external sensors - tyredog

Use it for many years, still working.

You only need to replace with cheaply available cell button battery.

They are generally quite accurate, more than enough to detect a leaky tyre.

You can set the alarm to trigger for low/high pressure and temp.

One time, the sensors didn't seemed to work, but I reset the system, then it work again.

One disadvantage though is that you should keep it power up all the time.

Otherwise, it may take a long time to get the sensor reading.

↡ Advertisement