TPMS

• Search this thread
28 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:47 AM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi guys,

I been thinking of installing the tyre pressure monitoring system. Some systems do not need to go tyre shops and its DIY, others u need. Some are wireless, some are not. Any feedback and recommendations with price?

Its a useful gadget for me on the road and on track.

Hope anyone can shed some light.
If you cannot differentiate a TP from an LTA officer, you ain't a car enthusiast.

Have you come here to play Jesus, to the Lepers in your head? U2 - One[/font][/b]

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

Watwheels
  • Watwheels
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

My friend just got a set. The sensors are mounted on the air valve instead of inside the wheel. S$250.

But... I find it very leh jie cos if you wanna pump air you have to remove the sensor. Btw the sensor comes with a simple anti-theft part to prevent ppl from pulling the sensor out. An adaptor between the sensor and air valve. The sensor has two different set of screw threads to be screwed onto the air valve and adaptor, on the adaptor there's a hex socket set screw(3mm) to lock it.

I still find the current TPMS design not very user friendly cos when you wanna remove or install your wheels the tire installer have to be careful not to damage the sensors. The one install outside of the air valve is very troublesome if wanna just pump air into the tires. IMO A tire pressure gauge is still easier and convenient.

Local tire shops selling TPMS are range between S$220 ~ S$300 some include installation fee some dun. Installation fee is around S$20 ~ S$40. I had thought of installing a set but I find it too leh jie. I even want to get it shipped from Taiwan(cos most is made from there) but around the same price here (+ shipping). Made in Germany brand (Hella) is too ex. Costing S$350~S$400 w/o installation.

Edited by Watwheels, 28 October 2009 - 09:17 AM.

If you smell what the Rock is cooking.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

Diesel
  • Premium member
    Diesel
    5th Gear

Any bros have this installed in their ride? Any feedbacks? Keen to get a set fixed myself for next tyre change. Thanks.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

Starsaaa
  • Starsaaa
    2nd Gear

Bought one orange TPMS 'inside wheel type' but not suitable due to my 2 piece rim thus no choice have to buy another set 'Tyredog' tyre valve type. So far no problems. I din put in any anti theft screws with the valves as I find it troublesome to pump air. So far the valves are still around as no one can use the valves as they can only be used with the set that they come together.

But the only quirks is that when one of the tyre shop personel changed my tyre and dropped one of my 'caps' on the floor, it became spoilt.

The tyredog warn me once due to leakage in one of the front tyres... Thus managed to reach home instead of going out to other places.

Call it coincidence, after installing the tpms, managed to get 2 flats in one mth. laugh.gif
Is it worth it? That depends on how u look at it...
________________________________________________________________________________
_________
Lets help the Earth!!
Lets CYCLE to work!!

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

Wolfy3769
  • Wolfy3769
    4th Gear

i think those aftermarket TPMS was not really that good..heard the electronics not that reliable.

just check ur tire pressure weekly or bi-weekly.. will be good enough.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

Mona-vie
  • Mona-vie
    4th Gear

I personally feel they are not needed unless you are tracking or something. As long as you check once a week, its ok already. If you get a flat tyre due to nails etc, then you don't even need TPMS cause you can feel it when you drive already. As for slow leaks, you will notice it when you check your tyres. Cheapest way is just to get a gauge and measure once a week.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

Diesel
  • Premium member
    Diesel
    5th Gear

Thks for the feedback, i find the tyredog valve sensors quite big & attention-seeking, worried they might get tempered with if i don't fit the anti-theft.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

Diesel
  • Premium member
    Diesel
    5th Gear

thks, already using a digital tyre gauge, but i seldom use it as i pump my tyres once every few weeks, but getting lazier to check manually laugh.gif

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

Ocean6576
  • Ocean6576
    3rd Gear

Any guys installed TPMS? Any lobang?

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

6th Gear

Depends on how u look at it.
Weekly check is good defensive method.

TPMS is real time active monitoring.
temp and pressure are the 2 most important factors.

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:25 PM

Ocean6576
  • Ocean6576
    3rd Gear

Depends on how u look at it.
Weekly check is good defensive method.

TPMS is real time active monitoring.
temp and pressure are the 2 most important factors.

Had a bad experience recently, think of installing it. Any guys have recommendation?

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

6th Gear

I installed TPMS after driven a punctured tyre, for luckily a short distance, and knowing it after I reached destination.

Care to share your experience with your nearmiss?

My is a very spartan Taiwan model.

You should get one which allows you to adjust and set alarms set points for low and high temp and pressure settings.

Sorry, this is my first TPMS.

Maybe Grix17 can contribute.

Edited by 5936, 29 May 2011 - 08:26 PM.

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

Ocean6576
  • Ocean6576
    3rd Gear

I drove wit a flat tyre without knowing it and have to replace the tyre, spending 200++. If I had know this, I could have replace with the spare, saving the trouble of changing tyres, spending money and also the risk of driving with a flat.

So where did you install yours and how much? Looking at Orange or Tyredog.

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hondauto
  • Hondauto
    2nd Gear

SOH Brothers. I installed the Orange TPMS since late 2009. Quite useful - at least will know which tyre is having less air. I think about
$250 +/- with installation.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:05 AM

Hide
  • Hide
    Neutral Newbie

hi bros,
Need to take note of your rims valve diameter as some old rims are using valves with smaller diameter. These rims are not able to fit those TPMS with internal sensors...

Better to check compatibility before buying and I think it would be better to buy from shops at least can verify when buying and not buy liao then know cannot fit... sad.gif

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:23 AM

Mecontle
  • Mecontle
    5th Gear

why waste $$, just step out & see it for free

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

6th Gear

Installed my at autoba.s at around 280 with installation.
Really very basic.
Cant preset pressure and temp alarm settings.
Troublesome to set sensors after tyre rotation.

You are lucky that no one got hurt.
Safety first

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:38 AM

Hermit
  • Hermit
    4th Gear

why waste $$, just step out & see it for free

I am the 'visual' kinda driver too..
But having changed to a set of tyres with softer side walls (for comfort), my old eyes cant tell anymore..
Nowadays, only rely on consumption readouts. But then again, may be too late..

Contemplating for TPMS too..

身体发肤,受之父母.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

KARTer
  • KARTer
    NOS-ed

I am the 'visual' kinda driver too..
But having changed to a set of tyres with softer side walls (for comfort), my old eyes cant tell anymore..
Nowadays, only rely on consumption readouts. But then again, may be too late..

Contemplating for TPMS too..

I use a hand-held pressure gauge, simple, can do it at home, or while waiting for wifey, if the readings show low press, pump it up on the way home or to work.

but it will be nice to be able to read the pressure while driving, if i have nowhere else to spend the $200++
我地呢班打工仔, 通街走直头系坏肠胃, 温个些少到月底点够驶(吃个鬼), 咪话无乜所谓, 最弊波士郁的发威(癫过鸡), 一咪系处系唔系就乱黎吠, 哎亲加薪块面拿起恶睇(扭下计)...我地呢班打工仔 一生一世为钱币做奴隶, 个种辛苦折堕讲出吓鬼(死比你睇),半斤八两 就算有福都无你享...

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed

Hi guys,

I been thinking of installing the tyre pressure monitoring system. Some systems do not need to go tyre shops and its DIY, others u need. Some are wireless, some are not. Any feedback and recommendations with price?

Its a useful gadget for me on the road and on track.

Hope anyone can shed some light.

My wireless TPMS sensors are being belted to the inner ring of the rims. I used those valve type before but they were broken into fragments after a long drive at the NSHW.

Regards,
Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. You may feel displeased which in this case, my sincere apologies and do kindly seek moderator's advice if need be. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. My motto is we agree to disagree. No profanity or obscenities of any kind. No personal attacks on other users. Thank you.

Back to Accessories  ·  Aftermarket Top

Also tagged with these keywords: TPMS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users