• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
44 replies to this topic | 60 praises

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

Iisterry
  • Premium member
    Iisterry
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Undercover cops in Geylang.

Excerpt:
First, both men looked young, probably between 20 and 30 years of age. Too young to be a taxi driver in Singapore for one of them. Secondly, they wore similar, possibly identical, type of clothes. Not the formal police uniform, but in the same navy blue color nonetheless. Thirdly, and most conspicuously, they wore same type of caps in the car! Also in a navy blue color, the cap was same as the baseball cap, with a long, curved brim. But caps like this are also commonly used by army and police personnel around the world. They are customarily referred to as “low profile caps”. I haven’t seen many ordinary people wearing them in Singapore, but I guess some will, particularly outdoor in the middle of a hot sunny day. But at night? In a car? Both a taxi driver and a passenger? Come on, that’s just impossible unless you were looking at a pair of undercover cops.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the day ends in Central Business District, it only just begins in Geylang. Crowds start to build around the dinner time and last all the way till the small hours of the night. When I passed through the place on my way to the city around 10pm, it was right in the middle of its peak hours. The street was crowded with cars, taxis, and pedestrians. Noisy, chaotic, razzle-dazzle, and seductive. Definitely the most vibrant nighttime playground in town, where the heart of the city beats briskly as the rest of it is asleep.

Somewhere near Lor20, I was going nose-to-nose with a blue Comfort taxi. It was one of those new, flashy, automatic Sonatas to which I had on several occasions lost my customers, due to their fast speed, swift maneuverability, and the daring drivers who never hesitate to put their own shiny butts at risk to offer a road test for the quality of the brake work of my company’s workshop by cutting in abruptly right in front of me. Because of these unpleasant experiences, I am not exactly overly fond of them. When I see one of these on the road, I don’t usually waste my second glance on it. But there was something peculiar about this one that had persuaded me to take another look.

It looked newer than most other Sonatas. In fact, I believe it was brand new. Bathed in jazzy, brilliant neon lights, every part of it shone sparklingly as if the full body was coated in mirror glass. What really caught my attention, though, were the men sitting inside.

The taxi had a “busy” light on at its rooftop, because there was a passenger sitting in the front seat next to the driver. From the way the two men carried themselves, I realized this was no ordinary taxi. This was most likely a police patrol car in a taxi’s costume.

It was really obvious to me.

First, both men looked young, probably between 20 and 30 years of age. Too young to be a taxi driver in Singapore for one of them. Secondly, they wore similar, possibly identical, type of clothes. Not the formal police uniform, but in the same navy blue color nonetheless. Thirdly, and most conspicuously, they wore same type of caps in the car! Also in a navy blue color, the cap was same as the baseball cap, with a long, curved brim. But caps like this are also commonly used by army and police personnel around the world. They are customarily referred to as “low profile caps”. I haven’t seen many ordinary people wearing them in Singapore, but I guess some will, particularly outdoor in the middle of a hot sunny day. But at night? In a car? Both a taxi driver and a passenger? Come on, that’s just impossible unless you were looking at a pair of undercover cops.

You could still argue, of course, that maybe the economy is so bad that more young people have been forced to drive taxis to make a living. Maybe this young taxi driver happens to have a brother, or a male friend, who likes to dress up the same, dull-looking way as him. And maybe they both have the same type of cap that they like so much they wear it wherever they go, even at night. But I found that too far-fetched to be plausible.

I bet a full month of my taxi rental that these men were undercover vice cops. They were on an assignment right now to sniff around for illegal prostitution activities in this area, which had become quite rampant in recent times. They didn’t seem to realize, however, that they were so ludicrously obvious. Their proud “low profile cap” had in fact given them a very high profile, and blown their cover wide open.

In agreement with my theory, the men were scanning the street from one side to another with their apparently alert and vigilant eyes hidden under the cover of their caps, while moving slowly at my side. After going like this for a while, the Sonata suddenly picked up speed, made several swift maneuvers to push itself through the heavy traffic, and soon disappeared without a trace.

Since all government-owned vehicles in Singapore, including police cars, bear special classes of license plate, the police in Singapore, unlike other countries, may not have their own unmarked vehicles for stakeout or undercover assignments. In a country where the buzzwords are “low crime doesn’t mean no crime”, I guess occasional undercover police operations are still required. Using a taxi for this purpose is therefore a logical as well as smart idea. Assuming the taxi was rented from Comfort, which is also owned by the government, does the policeman who drives it have a taxi driver’s license? Is it legal for them to drive a taxi if they don’t?

At any rate, if I was right, then these young policemen were too amateur. They should at least take off their caps, which they should know will render them seriously under-covered. With all these lavish camouflage, the brand new taxi and all, I couldn’t help but to wonder what was the point.

Source.

Big brother is watching. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Who ate the peanut?

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

Alfisti168
  • Premium member
    Alfisti168
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

another taxidiary journal. rolleyes.gif

Maybe they are police looking for cheap service laugh.gif
"A true petrolhead must drive an Alfa at least once in his lifetime!" Jeremy Clarkson

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:22 PM

Elfenstar
  • Premium member
    Elfenstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

The bugger is an idiot lah. Why would anyone in the SPF want to use a taxi when we have unmarked vehicles???

"I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner, but it is the most exciting way"
- Keiichi Tsuchiya

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:37 PM

WTF
  • Premium member
    WTF
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Don't really believe they are under-cover cops leh. The under-cover cops are not easily spotted as they just look like your neighbour next door. Some even look like a blanga or a ah-pek at GL!!! lipsrsealed.gif laugh.gif
命里有时终需有,命里无时莫强求

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:51 PM

Mcmug
  • Mcmug
    Clutched
    Author Image

The bugger is an idiot lah. Why would anyone in the SPF want to use a taxi when we have unmarked vehicles???

1. Sometimes, unmarked vehicles are fully booked by others.
2. If they are AV, they can pickup streetwalkers flagging cab. Of course, the 'passenger' must alight first.
3. They may not necessary be AV, but Gambling Suppression Branch. There are also alot of illegal makeshift gaming stalls at the backlane of Gay Land.

A taxi vs unmarked vehicle is less conspicious.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:35 AM

Elfenstar
  • Premium member
    Elfenstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

1. Sometimes, unmarked vehicles are fully booked by others.
2. If they are AV, they can pickup streetwalkers flagging cab. Of course, the 'passenger' must alight first.
3. They may not necessary be AV, but Gambling Suppression Branch. There are also alot of illegal makeshift gaming stalls at the backlane of Gay Land.

A taxi vs unmarked vehicle is less conspicious.

Errm if its AV or GSB, if there are no unmarked vehicles they use their own or they walk after cabbing/busing. Besides, regardless of which, being in a vehicle makes no sense in Geylang since all there are many alleys that you can't access properly in a vehicle, not to mention in the time it would take to procure a cab, they could have procured an unmarked car vehicle from central (which has another benefit). Could be PID, but their field team personnel almost like ghosts and wouldn't be spotted by some china-man driving a cab.

"I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner, but it is the most exciting way"
- Keiichi Tsuchiya

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:21 AM

Ahdi
  • Premium member
    Ahdi
    6th Gear
    Author Image

taxi might good in some way....
at least it is ver common on the road, over a turn u will forget which one just cut into ur lane abrutly. unless u remember the number.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:10 AM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Errm if its AV or GSB, if there are no unmarked vehicles they use their own or they walk after cabbing/busing. Besides, regardless of which, being in a vehicle makes no sense in Geylang since all there are many alleys that you can't access properly in a vehicle, not to mention in the time it would take to procure a cab, they could have procured an unmarked car vehicle from central (which has another benefit). Could be PID, but their field team personnel almost like ghosts and wouldn't be spotted by some china-man driving a cab.

Isn't it obvious that the author is anti-establishment? He might just be adding some spin on the story to make the police force look bad.

I mean some of the statements are absurb.

First, both men looked young, probably between 20 and 30 years of age. Too young to be a taxi driver in Singapore for one of them.

Duh. Only one of them (THE FRIGGIN DRIVER) needs to be old enough to be a taxi driver. So what if the passenger is a 5 year old child and not old enough to be a taxi driver?

Edited by Kusje, 10 November 2009 - 04:13 AM.

That is all.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:27 AM

Jefkstan
  • Jefkstan
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

This 'idiot' as you named, happens to have a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of scientific accomplishments. happy.gif

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:19 AM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

many learned scientist used to think that light travels in a straight line until it was proven that extreme gravity can force light to bend

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

JackRabbit
  • JackRabbit
    5th Gear
    Author Image

This 'idiot' as you named, happens to have a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of scientific accomplishments. happy.gif

A PhD from Stanford that still can't get a better job after so long ... probably has other issues not mentioned in the "proven track record".

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

Little_prince
  • Premium member
    Little_prince
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Isn't it obvious that the author is anti-establishment? He might just be adding some spin on the story to make the police force look bad.

I mean some of the statements are absurb.

First, both men looked young, probably between 20 and 30 years of age. Too young to be a taxi driver in Singapore for one of them.

Duh. Only one of them (THE FRIGGIN DRIVER) needs to be old enough to be a taxi driver. So what if the passenger is a 5 year old child and not old enough to be a taxi driver?

because there is a minimum age to be a taxi driver.... iirc it's about 40
"Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it'll spend it's whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

HungryPaPa - https://instagram.com/hungrypapa/

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

Jefkstan
  • Jefkstan
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

A PhD from Stanford that still can't get a better job after so long ... probably has other issues not mentioned in the "proven track record".

http://taxidiary.blogspot.com/
Maybe this will shed more light from his side. Quite a good read if one has time.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

Zyrofillica
  • Premium member
    Zyrofillica
    6th Gear
    Author Image

30 actually

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

Elfenstar
  • Premium member
    Elfenstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

My dir has a PhD from Oxford, and is one of Singapore's most influential and accomplished entrepreneurs.n He still considers himself an idiot in many things. Scientific accomplishments mean nothing when it comes to intelligence gathering and how this intelligence is obtained. Without knowing what (or who) to look out for, it would be quite hard to spot a proper undercover PO (not talking about normal PO on plainclothes duty).

- Keiichi Tsuchiya

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

Fcw75
  • Fcw75
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

So? PhD means everything ah? Geez...

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

Zyrofillica
  • Premium member
    Zyrofillica
    6th Gear
    Author Image

wah lau no need so defensive. at least the "idiot" has phd ma, there is no honour putting down other people's accomplishments.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

you are a polite man thumbsup.gif

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It doesn't matter if there is a minimum age or what the minimum age is because he already stated that one of them (presumably the driver) was old enough to be a taxi driver. Does it really matter how old the passenger was?
That is all.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

NAI011
  • Premium member
    NAI011
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

PhD ....Permenant Head Damage

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users