The thing with keyless...

Ericongy

I think you just don't like reading car manuals. [rolleyes]

I also think people just like to assume things.

1. Manual is in japanese.

2. Hybrid engines don't get their ignitions turned on like that. Like pressing the start button without stepping on brakes isn't the first thing anyone would try.

i was parking and reversing half way when my oc got off with my key fob.

The dashboard alerted me of the missing key fob but i am still able to finish reversing my car into the lot.

So could i drive off even without the key fob?

Another thing that proves my point.

Also, https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/car-thieves-in-malaysia-have-gone-high-tech-using-device-to-unlock-car-with-keyless

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Wrong again......

1) I can just open the door, stick my left leg in to step on the brake and press the start button to turn on the engine

2) with keyless technology and in some more fancy cars, the driver can just stand outside the car, press his keyfob (special method eg. long press unlock button)  and  all the windows with roll down and sunroof open,  the engine remote started.

3) In an even more premium car like the BMW G30, they can even do all that from comfort of their office via mobile phone connection before walking down to their car.

I probably could have done better to read the manual (assuming what to do when the batt dies is given) but then, the whole point of the convenience it brings is that you wouldn't really think about such a thing happening until the day it does.

One con for keyless though, I have to get into the car to start it after baking in the sun whereas I can just open the door and turn the ignition with a physical key method. 1st world problem lah this one haha

I drove a Lexus GS450h for 6 + years. [rolleyes]

I also think people just like to assume things.

1. Manual is in japanese.

2. Hybrid engines don't get their ignitions turned on like that. Like pressing the start button without stepping on brakes isn't the first thing anyone would try.

Another thing that proves my point.

Also, https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/car-thieves-in-malaysia-have-gone-high-tech-using-device-to-unlock-car-with-keyless

Wrong again......

1) I can just open the door, stick my left leg in to step on the brake and press the start button to turn on the engine

2) with keyless technology and in some more fancy cars, the driver can just stand outside the car, press his keyfob (special method eg. long press unlock button) and all the windows with roll down and sunroof open, the engine remote started.

3) In an even more premium car like the BMW G30, they can even do all that from comfort of their office via mobile phone connection before walking down to their car.

I get car to come to me lol

And yes, the convenience of connected drive

Can on ventilation before enteringpost-547-0-20214200-1526357710_thumb.png

The dashboard alerted me of the missing key fob but i am still able to finish reversing my car into the lot.

Yes....

• Praise 1

The way I see it,sooner or later we will b able to start ignition w our smart phones

Twincharged

The way I see it,sooner or later we will b able to start ignition w our smart phones

I think tesla can already? Can cool down the car from home/office. I rmb some cars can set certain timing to start cooling/warming the car daily also.

WRONG. The detection system works by RFID with the car being the sensor sending out signal to the RFID chip embedded in the keyfob.

Having battery in the keyfob just amplify this signal only. With a totally dead keyfob, just have to bring it close to there the sensor of the car is.

Alot of misinformation in this thread.

I think same for toyota. The instruction is to put key fob near the engine start button and press and the car will start.

Hypersonic

As long don't switch off engine can do whatever u want. I drove for one hour after my wife left with the car key
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

KNNCCB

Mini is chiobu.  Not aunty lah.

when you drive it off the showroom, it was a chiobu.

when coe about to expire, it would have turned into a naggy auntie with frizzy hair. :grin:

As long don't switch off engine can do whatever u want. I drove for one hour after my wife left with the car key

mine will have this irritating alarm when key is not in range. but can still drive like you said.

What your car scold you ah?

lao ban, no juice liao. 

[thumbsup]

Wrong again......

2) with keyless technology and in some more fancy cars, the driver can just stand outside the car, press his keyfob (special method eg. long press unlock button)  and  all the windows with roll down and sunroof open,  the engine remote started.

why you so leche?

i just call my driver to meet me at the driveway. 

24x7, rain or shine.

:D

Edited by Kxbc

By right there should a safety algorithm for these keyless technology. Cars are very much smarter these days with plethora of sensors in the car that the manufacturer can harness to have a comprehensive algorithm of operational safety.

Depends if the manufacturer thought them out as thoroughly for all sorts of scenario that leads to the key suddenly not detected in the car after it was started.

1) keyfob low batt: usually it will already have detected it on startup and warn the driver. if during the ride, driver seat belt still buckled, suddenly no more signal from the keyfob, the car will signal that no car key is detected. some car models will just warn and allow you to complete your journey.

2) if for some weird reason, your very angry angry CO/MIL throws your keyfob out of the window without opening the door, driver seat belt still buckled and there is movements in the steering wheel, in the consideration of safety, the car should still allow you to drive albeit in  "limp-home mode" where they limit the power and top speed till you stop at the side.

3) if car is in park, engine still running, driver seat belt unbuckled, the door is open and closed and the keyfob is suddenly not detected,  the car should be smart enough to know that the driver have left the car and to commence to countdown to engine being switched off and the doors locked.

4) if the car is in drive or reverse when the engine is still running, driver seat belt still buckled, the door is open and closed and keyfob not detected, the car should still allow the car to be operated till it comes to a stop and parked in the interest of safety.

(edited)

NP_20180323_TTBABY23_3856612.jpg?itok=Jc

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/baby-locked-car-rescued-after-father-smashes-front-door-window

The baby was locked in a white BMW in the carpark behind Holland Village Market & Food Centre for 20 minutes before being rescued by her father.

In a statement, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they were alerted to the incident at about 11.50am. When SCDF officers arrived on the scene, the owner of the car had already gained access to his vehicle. SCDF added that the baby was safe and had no visible injuries.

According to Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao, the baby was locked in the BMW after her maid accidentally closed the only door that was open and triggered the auto-lock function.

At the time, the baby's parents were on a test drive and had left the car keys with their maid.

After the maid placed the baby in the back seat, she kept the keys in a bag on the front seat. While folding the baby pram, the maid accidentally knocked into the open door.

A florist at the wet market who only wanted to be known as Ms Huang told Wanbao that she saw the baby's parents, who looked to be in their30s, running around screaming for help.

She said: "The father attempted to break the car window with a bat... but to no avail."

Passers-by sought help from a locksmith nearby but he was unable to help.

Upon hearing about the incident, Ms Huang's younger brother retrieved a hammer from their shop and lent it to the frantic father, who smashed the front door window.

Ms Huang, 50, said: "He wanted to break open the back door window. Thankfully, passers-by told him that he could hurt his baby and he broke the driver's window instead."

But even with whatever fail safe incidents like this still happen.

Tech fails usually as a result of the ppl who uses it.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/boy-3-rescued-after-locking-himself-in-car

No matter how high tech car makers make their car it is still unintelligent.

Edited by Watwheels

Supersonic

Wrong again......

Sounds like nowadays you can remote on and off your house aircon from outside on your mobile phone.

I am curious. If I had a keyless entry system and I was pumping petrol in jb, does it mean anyone can open my car door since I am nearby and key fob is within range?

Supersonic

I am curious. If I had a keyless entry system and I was pumping petrol in jb, does it mean anyone can open my car door since I am nearby and key fob is within range?

Technically yes.

↡ Advertisement