Wat polishing machine to buy for DIY grooming???

Tanly

paiseh lompang your thread [:p]

i recently got myself a Meguiars g220 and been busy happily waxing my cars :D

what i realised is that using a machine, i run through more wax than if i were to do it by hand ... dunno whether is because use machine very shiok or what [rolleyes][laugh]

anyone can advise what in your opinion is most value for money wax to use? [grin]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

paiseh lompang your thread [:p]

i recently got myself a Meguiars g220 and been busy happily waxing my cars :D

what i realised is that using a machine, i run through more wax than if i were to do it by hand ... dunno whether is because use machine very shiok or what [rolleyes][laugh]

anyone can advise what in your opinion is most value for money wax to use? [grin]

Soft99 King of Gloss from Autobacs - cheap and very good. Apply with the applicator supplied, don't use RO as it will be very wasteful. This wax, a little goes a long way...here are some pics of it on a S350 I detailed

8310052782_375855d8ce_c.jpg

8310054632_a18d7dd8b0_c.jpg

To apply, mist one panel at a time with water for easy spreading, mist the applicator pad.

Twist the pad in tub 2-3 times for a thin layer on pad.

Spread thinly and evenly one panel at a time.

Wipe off straight away.

Repeat for every panel, split large panels like boot and bonnet into two.

Relax and admire with a cold beer

so using those 12V cigarette lighter type are useless?? Those who DIY at their HDB car park, no choice but to hand polish?? Any suggestion?

yeah soft 99 stuff rocks ... i used to use AUTHENTIC paste wax

since i got the RO, so far i tried only Formula 1 carnauba wax ... looks good! but it don't last leh

i got too many car to wax la - my 2 cars, sister car, father car.... do by hand, shack la ... back pain la ... i old man leh [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

Oh good, you're familiar with Soft99 products...was going to suggest as its VERY good, but just more expensive.

Then easy solution...don't wax!

There is a spray sealant twin set from ArtDeShine also sold at Autobacs. First spray on sealant, wipe off, the spray on hydrophobic water repellant, wipe off. Easier than eating rice :D

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

so using those 12V cigarette lighter type are useless?? Those who DIY at their HDB car park, no choice but to hand polish?? Any suggestion?

Yes, I would render them useless for attempting paint correction, that is to level the clear and remove scratches.

Although, you can use them to lightly polish and bring back some gloss or to apply glazes and fill in scratches with a finishing pad.

Can't do much more as when you apply a bit of pressure, they will stop orbiting which prevents them from doing anything useful but spreading product around

Edited by Vivant511

(edited)

Yo bro David..

Agreed with Vivantt511..unless you are looking to do some correction then forget about those ciggi type..this are fine with wax or sealant application or maybe a white polishing pad with an AIO..remember to use the correct pads for different products.

Alternatively..you can get an ac converter or a small generator for a DA..You might wana check with HDB for the electrical supply..Some folks told me you could rent it.

Edited by Maddriver

Yo bro David..

Agreed with Vivantt511..unless you are looking to do some correction then forget about those ciggi type..this are fine with wax or sealant application or maybe a white polishing pad with an AIO..remember to use the correct pads for different products.

Alternatively..you can get an ac converter or a small generator for a DA..You might wana check with HDB for the electrical supply..Some folks told me you could rent it.

Wah Benny, did not know got such thing about renting the power outlet... maybe will check it out... in the meantime will have to slowly slowly use my pair of hands to do it.... going to be siong liao..... hahaha..... free will pick up from you the stuffs... : )

The 12v polishers are only good enough for application of wax/sealant.

If you actually need to do some paint corrections like swirlmarks and light scratches. They will not be good enough.

If you have not had any experience with a buffer before.

I do suggest using a Dual Action polisher as they are rather easy to use and nothing too drastic will happen even if you make a mistake.

A Rotary will probably be much more efficient under a trained hand but done wrongly. The holograms or even paint peel will occur.

↡ Advertisement