Anyone interested in taking Class 4 licence?

Ithunk

Class 4 Driving Licence - Procedure

1. Legal Requirement

2. Enroll For Driving Classes

3. Driving Lesson

4. Pass The Practical Driving Test (PDT)

Legal Requirement

You must be at least 21 years of age and in possession of a Class 3 Driving Licence.

Enroll For Driving Classes

Unlike learning to drive and obtaining a Class 3 Driving Licence where you can choose to learn from a private driving instructor or from any of the 3 driving schools, you can only learn how to drive and obtain a Class 4 Driving Licence from the test centre as specified below :

Jurong Test Centre

4 Chin Bee Road #01-08

Singapore 619698

Tel : 6261 3236

Driving Lesson

Upon enrolling into the Jurong Test Centre, you will be provided with the necessary training to learn to drive a Class 4 Motor Vehicle. Upon passing the Driving Assessment Test conducted by the Jurong Test Centre, you will be allowed to take the Practical Driving Test (PDT) for Class 4.

Pass The Practical Driving Test (PDT)

Upon passing the Driving Assessment Test conducted by the Jurong Test Centre, you could then apply for the Practical Driving Test (PDT).

Upon passing the Class 4 PDT, you will then be issued with a Class 4 Driving Licence which allows you to drive the following vehicles :

* Heavy motorcars of an unladen weight exceeding 2500kg and constructed to carry a load or passengers and

* Motor tractors of an unladen weight not exceeding 7250kg but exceeds 2500kg.

Source

http://learn-to-drive.spf.gov.sg/services/.../4procedure.htm

↡ Advertisement

Thinking of learning the next time I'm back. One reason being that I might need to get a van in future as my business grows, but the stupid HK govt. policy allowed me only to get a private car licence by direct issue with my Singapore Class 3 - to drive a van they require me to either take the full course and driving test here or to get Class 4 from Singapore. So rather than to pay so much for something I already know, might as well learn something new.

Anyone who has taken Class 4 here? Mind sharing the details of what the lessons and test are like? I have 10 and 14 foot lorry experience, including similar vehicles (Isuzu NPR 14 foot lorry) to those used in the Class 4 lessons, and have been driving around the test route area quite often (around International Road, Pioneer Road, Corporation Road etc.) so I'm not too worried about the wider turning radius or the road test, but if there's one thing I really suck at it is tying knots, and so I guess if I fail at the first time it will be because of the lashings. Also, is double clutching required for Class 4? Have heard conflicting advice, some say its still required while others say only for Class 5.

Thanks.

Neutral Newbie

Have Class 4 & 5 licenses so can tell you about the details for the course.For Class 4 lesson you need to complete 7 lessons in order to take the TP test.

For Class 4 you NOT need to double clutch .

Then you will learn parallel parking,reversing,u-turn and 3-points turn as these will be tested during TP test.

For the rope tying the instructor will teach you and make sure it must be tight or else will have 4 points deducted so don't worry you will fail.And also the height estimation using a measuring pole which they will teach you how to read.Double clutching is only for Class 5.

Have Class 4 & 5 licenses so can tell you about the details for the course.For Class 4 lesson you need to complete 7 lessons in order to take the TP test.

For Class 4 you NOT need to double clutch .

Then you will learn parallel parking,reversing,u-turn and 3-points turn as these will be tested during TP test.

For the rope tying the instructor will teach you and make sure it must be tight or else will have 4 points deducted so don't worry you will fail.And also the height estimation using a measuring pole which they will teach you how to read.Double clutching is only for Class 5.

Thanks so much for the info! It is helpful indeed - I am a lot more confident of taking my Class 4 successfully now.

All along thought I have to double clutch, so I've been practicing it for more than a year, whether driving lorry or car, and its now second nature to me. I guess even if not required, they won't penalize me for double clutching for Class 4? Otherwise I'll have to "un-learn" this useful technique. [laugh]

yeah yeah me!!! been wanting to take since 2006 but no action yet... wan to chiong 4 & 5 together??

in 2006 oso wanted to take speed boat license... haiz

I am interested!!!

How long does it take to get the license???

How much does the whole course + TP test cost???

Btw, I just passed my speed boat last Sat. :D

Only a few driving centres provide class 4 or 5 license in SG...

I knoe 1 driving centre in west side got provide "package" for class 4 & 5.

I took class 4, 5 years ago...juz for play and thought maybe can be tour bus or SBS bus driver if kena retrenched..hehe

Took it in cathay driving centre in bedok...total lessons took tink cost ard $500 excl test fees..

I drive so well during lesson, the instructor ask whether i drive pick up...

so confident but failed during TP.. [bigcry] failed by demerit pts...i tink 20+..

made some silly mistake like u shld stop b4 the filter lane crossing zone to check traffic..

i stop b4 the give way line, tester say i block pedestrian...haiz..shd hav passed.

but nvr retake it..i dunno y..maybe shld start again.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks so much for the info! It is helpful indeed - I am a lot more confident of taking my Class 4 successfully now.

All along thought I have to double clutch, so I've been practicing it for more than a year, whether driving lorry or car, and its now second nature to me. I guess even if not required, they won't penalize me for double clutching for Class 4? Otherwise I'll have to "un-learn" this useful technique. [laugh]

Actually when you double clutch when driving is actually can make your gear more lasting or when you want to downshift sometime very difficult to engage low gear but by using double clutch is more easy as you can see some lorry and bus driver using this method to drive.

You can ask the instructor whether need to double clutch even though its not necessary when learning your Class 4.Class 5 is a must to double clutch or else cannot engage the appropriate gear and also will deduct 2 points for failing to use double clutch.

Neutral Newbie

I am interested!!!

How long does it take to get the license???

How much does the whole course + TP test cost???

Btw, I just passed my speed boat last Sat. :D

By 1 or 2 months if everything smooth can get the license and retest also have to wait for 1 month or above depend on availability.

For the cost of the course you can refer to this website,http://www.singaporemirror.com.sg/co_pancountry.htm for more info.

And also one thing,the Driving Centre will shift to Woodlands new multi-storey driving circuit next year.

Edited by Leong52

i have both 4 and 5 by the time i turn 25. my dad drive a loory for a living so when i pass my class 3 he told me to enrol for 4 and 5. i took it from jurong chin bee. they got package, usually they will tell u to take the package which once u pass 4 , u can take class 5. both the classes are the same as class 3. if u know how to drive a manual class 4 and 5 is nothing. only the view is diff from a car, size too. the only diff is that class 5 u will be driving a lorry with crade, u need take extra care about it and the double clutch. that is the main diff. quite easy to pass if u have experience in driving a class 3.

but 1 thing is that u have to study some road sign and keep it in heart. they will test u.

Neutral Newbie

i have both 4 and 5 by the time i turn 25. my dad drive a loory for a living so when i pass my class 3 he told me to enrol for 4 and 5. i took it from jurong chin bee. they got package, usually they will tell u to take the package which once u pass 4 , u can take class 5. both the classes are the same as class 3. if u know how to drive a manual class 4 and 5 is nothing. only the view is diff from a car, size too. the only diff is that class 5 u will be driving a lorry with crade, u need take extra care about it and the double clutch. that is the main diff. quite easy to pass if u have experience in driving a class 3.

but 1 thing is that u have to study some road sign and keep it in heart. they will test u.

You are right [:)]

i have always wanted to take class 4 n 5.

CDAC has subsidized course fees but need to prove your job requires driving class 4 & 5 vehicles and income is below certain amount.

due to the lack of sponsorship i still haven't sign up.

if it is shifting to woodlands, then i will go for it since i m staying near woodlands.

↡ Advertisement