Credit cards - benefits

City100a

Ask yourself what you really need.

Then buy only what you need.

[:)]

Ya.....i wanna buy a laptop also think for more than 3 months liao still havent buy coz its super ex, was thinking of a thinkpad, adds up to about $3k for better specs one

I m spending too much on ipad/hps tech stuff in general

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Ya.....i wanna buy a laptop also think for more than 3 months liao still havent buy coz its super ex, was thinking of a thinkpad, adds up to about $3k for better specs one

Do you really need such a high spec laptop ? $3k is gaming laptop price.

Am using a Lenovo with 6th gen core i5 which comes with graphics card, bought from Courts during last National Day sale for $510.

Quite satisfied with it for surfing and watching stuff.

Not really a tech person so I just buy stuff with specs I need and avoid overpaying.

I prefer to keep things simple. Save the money for the occasional trip overseas to broaden my horizon.

Okie i dont play games, shall give it a miss, maybe get a simple one will do [:)]

• Praise 1

Okie i dont play games, shall give it a miss, maybe get a simple one will do [:)]

Then I think a $3k laptop is really unnecessary.

And sometimes buying online can save some money too, using credit card with online purchase rebates. Nowadays its just 5% on average unfortunately.

Have to sometimes keep an eye on credit card deals and programs. A bit of a chore initially but once internalised its OK.

Then I think a $3k laptop is really unnecessary.

And sometimes buying online can save some money too, using credit card with online purchase rebates. Nowadays its just 5% on average unfortunately.

Have to sometimes keep an eye on credit card deals and programs. A bit of a chore initially but once internalised its OK.

Yeah, too many cards promo around, thanks very much for your advices, really appreciate it

• Praise 2

Just have to take note of the promos and see whether you will be using the promos or not.

I don't carry many credit cards with me, just 3. The rest I only put into my wallet when the issuer has a promotion which I am interested in. Eg, last weekend put HSBC credit card in my wallet cos was meeting classmates at Brunetti's 1 for 1 promotion for pasta.

Increasingly, I am doing more online purchase because of discounts and credit card rebates. Think some cards award bonus points for online purchases as well.

i also have too many cards, but use very few of them.

Some i apply as there were promotions/offers, etc. Eg took Amex as it came with free AA membership, then took (more) stanchart cards (they need me to apply for 2 at one go) last year end when they had Liverpool FC goodie bags and a wifi router as free gifts...

I'm curious to know how do you keep track of what card is having what promotion at what time. Like when i needed to pay for car downpayment, was hoping to have good deal, but struggled to find the necessary info. Now wanna buy air tickets for year-end trip, also dunno what card - if any - got good deals...

I have been thinking about saving more $ but its not easy

Heres the problem i face

I try to use different credit cards to maximise discounts etc but realise that it's difficult to keep track of my expenses, some months i overspent, my monthly credit card bills can be $2-3k on the average [sweatdrop]

Any one got good ideas on how to monitor spending?

Another problem is that I use giro paymemt for all my cards, which makes it even more difficult to keep track of the expenses

Are you always busy?

If you can spare the time, and if you really want to keep track of your spendings, then you should go back to basics, and bite the bullet and live with some hassle:

Do up a simple excel template for each month and input all the major expenses you spend every time after you pay for something. The total amount spend should appear immediately after each entry. This way, you will get an idea of how much you've chalked up for the month, and it should remind yourself of the need to be prudent once you reach a figure that alarms you.

Nowadays phone also can do excel, so it's not difficult - but of course is a bit of a hassle. Need to be disciplined to do it...

• Praise 1

I have been thinking about saving more $ but its not easy

Heres the problem i face

I try to use different credit cards to maximise discounts etc but realise that it's difficult to keep track of my expenses, some months i overspent, my monthly credit card bills can be $2-3k on the average [sweatdrop]

Any one got good ideas on how to monitor spending?

Another problem is that I use giro paymemt for all my cards, which makes it even more difficult to keep track of the expenses

switch to 1 main card.... personally... i just consolidate all spending to one card...  

me using citibank since the air miles will never expire until i decide to use it... 

dont use ocbc since they refuse to waive annual membership...  understandable...

but from consumer standpoint... bye bye lor 

i also have too many cards, but use very few of them.

Some i apply as there were promotions/offers, etc. Eg took Amex as it came with free AA membership, then took (more) stanchart cards (they need me to apply for 2 at one go) last year end when they had Liverpool FC goodie bags and a wifi router as free gifts...

I'm curious to know how do you keep track of what card is having what promotion at what time. Like when i needed to pay for car downpayment, was hoping to have good deal, but struggled to find the necessary info. Now wanna buy air tickets for year-end trip, also dunno what card - if any - got good deals...

Card issuers usually advertise their promos in the papers. Some send sms.

I just focus on those promos relating to

- 1 for 1 dining

- online purchase rebates

- shopping rebates

- petrol rebates

For plane tickets I would buy with cards with good online rebates (I assume you are buying the tickets online). I don't not have a miles card but have been told using miles card is a good way too. 

My personal experience is that there is really no good all-rounder card these days, so have to put in a bit of effort to keep track of promotions to benefit from it. 

Do you really need such a high spec laptop ? $3k is gaming laptop price.

Am using a Lenovo with 6th gen core i5 which comes with graphics card, bought from Courts during last National Day sale for $510. 

Quite satisfied with it for surfing and watching stuff.

Not really a tech person so I just buy stuff with specs I need and avoid overpaying.

I prefer to keep things simple. Save the money for the occasional trip overseas to broaden my horizon.

Ya lo! 

I still using my 11years old Dell M640 since I only surf MCF.  [:p]

Like when i needed to pay for car downpayment, was hoping to have good deal, but struggled to find the necessary info.

Applied the SC and AMEX cards for downpayment, end up KM don't accept AMEX.  [:|]

I have a AMEX Capitacard, coming to a year,just received statement asking for annual fee liao.

Gonna call and cancel this card, still not widely accepted I feel. Not worth to renew.

AMEX very howlian one.  They won't waive the annual fee one.  The best they can offer is to give 50% off the annual fee.  I cancelled mine last year when they refused to waive off.

• Praise 2

AMEX very howlian one.  They won't waive the annual fee one.  The best they can offer is to give 50% off the annual fee.  I cancelled mine last year when they refused to waive off.

Depends leh.

They waived off 100% for my wife and offered me 50% off.

Siao.

Card issuers usually advertise their promos in the papers. Some send sms.

I just focus on those promos relating to

- 1 for 1 dining

- online purchase rebates

- shopping rebates

- petrol rebates

For plane tickets I would buy with cards with good online rebates (I assume you are buying the tickets online). I don't not have a miles card but have been told using miles card is a good way too. 

My personal experience is that there is really no good all-rounder card these days, so have to put in a bit of effort to keep track of promotions to benefit from it. 

Yup, confirmed every card looks for its own unique offerings but none is best-est for everything.

Nowadays mostly get news from phone leh, hardly flip papers so quite likely miss out on the card ads.

Maybe will use Manhattan card for the tickets since i don't (recall i) have any miles card  [laugh]

Applied the SC and AMEX cards for downpayment, end up KM don't accept AMEX.  [:|]

For SC, the new dunno-what-cashback-unlimited card gives a fixed % cash back, but it's lower than Manhattan top-tier-spending cash back.

The former is straightforward and simple, gives less % but got no limit.

The latter is complex and need careful calculation, but gives more % if you spend betw $3000 to $6666 in a quarter, i think. Why the funny figure is becos got cap for cash-back. Beyond that amount, no more cash back anymore... Hate them for making it so complicated...

↡ Advertisement