Floods from SG - Malacca

Itsec

hmm...dun thk NSHW will kena flood coz the terrain is rather high and since its is paid even it is flooded it will be taken care of quickly by PLUS...

But those smaller trunk roads will have a high risk especially the eastern areas like Desaru, Tioman, Cherating, Kuantan areas. Kelatan and Trengganu already badly hit last few days..start of Monsoon season for South China Sea...

So bros and sis here do exercise extra carea and check Msia weather forecast if heading towards the eastern area since now also school holidays. Overheard the news just now that the weather station in Msia predicting heavy rain and storm for next few weeks...scary...probably will put off my trip to Lotus Desaru till next year Jan. [sweatdrop]

hmm...dun thk NSHW will kena flood coz the terrain is rather high and since its is paid even it is flooded it will be taken care of quickly by PLUS...

I beg to differ.. I rem there was this big flood that drowned Melaka/ Muar regions..

The NSHW was affected then as well, and many were stucked/ stranded on the road.. fwd- reverse also cannot..

Be going Melaka this weekend too.. *fingers crossed.

I'll be off up to KL on Thursday night, so I hope no floods, but I also remember last time when the NSH did flood - certain sections are lower than others

Neutral Newbie

Just got back from KL yesterday. Heavy downpour along certain parts of the NSHW. Pretty dangerous if you have poor wet tyres or poor wipers. visibility can go down to 30m when it comes down. Take care and drive safely if going up. Did not encounter any flooding or water buildup.

hmm izzit?coz normally i saw from the sides of NSHW the roads are indents from the palm plantations ie higher gradient from the plantations so din not think that it will cause problems...

But the safest way is to check on the weather and decide...when I was on my roadtrip from Malacca-Cameron-KL were all wet trips...visibility was quite low too....lucky my silicon wipers done their job well...phew [grin]

http://news.malaysia.msn.com/regional/arti...umentid=3715994

By Agence France-Presse, Updated: 11/23/2009Malaysia battles fresh flooding: report

More than 12,000 villagers have been evacuated from their homes in Malaysia as a second wave of floods ravaged two states amid heavy rain, according to state media Monday.

Flooding in low lying areas forced affected villagers in Kelantan and Terengganu to seek refuge in relief centres.

In Terengganu some major roads were submerged while others were closed due to landslides.

Flood operations officials in northern Kelantan state told the Bernama news agency 3,019 people were evacuated to relief centres Monday morning as rivers have swollen and overflowed their banks during Malaysia's monsoon season.

It said 9,062 villagers in Terengganu were seeking shelter in relief centres.

The meteorological department has also issued its highest-level red alert on the formation of a tropical depression in the South China Sea.

The depression is expected to lead to storms and high waves that are likely to affect Kelantan, Terengganu and eastern Pahang state over the coming week with windspeeds of up to 65 kilometres per hour (40 miles per hour) and waves as high as 3.5 metres (more than 11 feet).

Floods hit the east coast states early this month, killing two and causing thousands of people to be evacuated. There has also been a major outbreak of cholera due to contaminated food and water in Terengganu with one death reported.

Think Kuantan will also likely be hit....bros and sis here do be careful and exercise caution...

Edited by Berncsp76

Neutral Newbie

I think if its m'cca it should be ok. Gradient is rising all the way from here to KL so floods will only be if JB is flooded.

Wah go to Batam also affected....

SINGAPORE: Ferry services between Singapore and Tanjung Balai in Indonesia's Riau islands have been cancelled since Sunday due to stormy weather.

Peter Lim, the general manager of Indo Falcon, the sole ferry operator between the two areas, told MediaCorp that a few hundred passengers might be affected due to the closures.

The last ferry on Sunday departed at 1.30pm with some 50 passengers from Singapore.

Mr Lim said one ferry was scheduled to leave for Tanjung Balai on Tuesday with 77 passengers from Singapore, but it was cancelled.

Another ferry leaving Tanjung Balai for Singapore had to abort the trip 10 minutes into its journey.

He could not say when services will resume, as the weather remains stormy.

Singapore's Foreign Affairs Ministry said it is "closely monitoring the situation."

The ministry said it has been informed that the Tanjong Balai ferry terminal will remain closed until the sea condition improves.

Singaporeans who require consular assistance can contact the MFA Duty Office at (+65) 6379 8800 / 6379 8855 or its Mission in Batam at (+62) 778 470070 / (+62) 812 1324 7797.

Mr Lim said: "The port is totally closed and there is no sea traffic from Tanjung Balai to Singapore or any of the Indonesian islands."

There are three services daily between Singapore and Tanjung Balai.

A round trip cost S$62.

Mr Lim said there are no passengers booked on the ferries for Wednesday. - CNA/vm

On the NSHW to Ayer Keroh (Exit to Melaka) is still ok from past experiences. However, some of the small roads leading to town centre may experience some flooding hor so must also be careful. Stick to major arterial roads is safer. In case of anything, still got lots of other cars around.

BTW, dun try to park at those underground carparks hor. If SG can flood, dun count on the drainage there too.

sure no problem! must look out for each other... [:)]

Agree with bro Kungming to park at higher levels if the area is flood prone, if not will be very troublesome to tow the car all the way back to SG. [sweatdrop] and the repair cost....[bigcry]

Just came back from Kuantan on Sunday, it's slight continuous drizzle for the whole day and night started since Saturday. Intermittent rain when reach more inland in Johor state. Typically northeast monsoon do not have heavy thunder storm which is typical of southwest monsoon(Sumatras).

However do not be taken by the less stormy weather as less dissipitation, it's the continuous rain that build up the water level and cause flood.

But NE monsoon will not affect too much on the west coast of Peninsula MY. The mountain range actually block the rain clouds and most rain occurs at the windward side. But certain part from Perak onwards are lower land so do not have the highland relief effect.

Do take note of the [sunny] weather forecast and the latest flood report of affected states in MY.

Edited by Atonchia