Baby Car Seat Advice

Thargor

Hi Bros and Sisters,

I am in the midst of sourcing for a baby car seat for my daughter next year. Any good brands to recommend? I am looking for those that can be inclined horizontally for newborn and can be converted to todder car seat. Wife told me she spot this car seat that is suitable for new born all the way to 7 years old...around 800 bucks.

I am just thinking, should I get one that cater from newborn to 2 years old (think can get a decent one for below 400)...when my girl is older i will get another bigger one (shld be able to get a decent one below 400). The price will add up to the 800 bucks one too.

Appreciate any tip and experience shared on the above, many thanks! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

it's a matter whether you want to spend and buy new... or save and get second hand....

I got my first child seat for my kid which lasted from birth to age 4 free from a friend, who did not need it any longer.

Then, when my kid was able to sit up and too big for the baby seat, got a 2nd hand booster seat for $12 from MCF marketplace thread... he's still using it until 8 years old.

All these seats made from high impact plastic, so very durable. Only is the cushion and the sponge you need to change or clean. No point spending $800 for brand new child seat which will be white elephant when kid outgrows. Search for suitable child seat on ebay!

But if really waant to buy new - can look at kaki bukit... there are child seat/baby pram wholesalers there. Should be able to find lower cost than from expensive department store.

check out sales at major shopping center and coupled with credit card discount, the new child seat can be much cheaper..

I got a stroller that is priced at around $600 at taka for around 400 during their sale with the DBS black card 2 months back..

as for the baby seat, check out what you want and your budget..

in my own opinion, no point getting one that last so long, esp when your child will most likely dirty the seat with puke, milk, food and drinks..

Go baby hypermarket at kaki bukit there...they having a sale.

Wah lau...if you print $$ type then can go for $800 car seat.

My infant car seat i bought dat time during baby fair in expo, cost around $60, some italian brand. Used till 1 year old.

Recently bought a maxi cosi car seat, if remember can use from 9mths to 8 year old or 12 year old, only $260, come with double locking set thing.

Thanks Bro for the advice, I agree that buying one car seat that will supposedly last till 7 yrs old may not be a good idea as the car seat will get dirty with age.

Hmm went to kaki Bukit last weekend...Baby Kingdom and Baby Hypermart...but didnt get anything. Maxi-Cosi is a good option...will go check out Isetan sales also. :D

Neutral Newbie

I got a "basket" type for $75 at Baby Kingdom 3 years ago. The seat lasted till my kids were 8 months old. then got 2 maxi-cosi for 1-4 years old car seat at $200 abt 2yrs pls ago. Was selling at $200 each cos its old model which doesnt matter to me. Will be upgrading to booster seat soon.

If you are getting booster seat, suggest you get those with backing which allows the seat beat to be fastern on. In case of rear collision, rear car crashing to front car would push the luggage of the front car to its rear seat. If the baby seat no backing, the luggage would crush the baby against the seat belt. Just using my imagination. [;)]

The booster with backing should cost abt $200. The one without backing cost abt $50. So to add up the cost, $75+$200+$200 = $475.

Still a little below the $700 you mentioned. [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Hi, you can look for recaro baby seat if you have the budget of $800 to spend.

I got a Type R limited edition baby seat for my Civic Type R at $1k just to match the car interior.

In my Odeyssey is a Recaro baby seat which I think is around $700 plus... Can't remember actual price as it was bought by my wife.

I want my boy to grow up in racing environment so as to be the next Lewis Hamilton haha.

The recaro is an option for you to consider as I find the support and material used are well worth the price.

Hope it helps.

i got a maxi-cosi cabriofix for free (original price was about $320) when i bought my stroller from baby hypermart. Sometimes they have these bundled deals so keep a look out as you can save quite a bit.

I got a "basket" type for $75 at Baby Kingdom 3 years ago. The seat lasted till my kids were 8 months old. then got 2 maxi-cosi for 1-4 years old car seat at $200 abt 2yrs pls ago. Was selling at $200 each cos its old model which doesnt matter to me. Will be upgrading to booster seat soon.

If you are getting booster seat, suggest you get those with backing which allows the seat beat to be fastern on. In case of rear collision, rear car crashing to front car would push the luggage of the front car to its rear seat. If the baby seat no backing, the luggage would crush the baby against the seat belt. Just using my imagination. [;)]

The booster with backing should cost abt $200. The one without backing cost abt $50. So to add up the cost, $75+$200+$200 = $475.

Still a little below the $700 you mentioned. [thumbsup]

Thanks bro...my wife actually love maxi-cosi alot cos most of her friends are using that..hehe guess we will look at a few models/brand first before buying.

Not sure if its just me but I find it a joy to be out shopping for baby's stuff. :D

Hi, you can look for recaro baby seat if you have the budget of $800 to spend.

I got a Type R limited edition baby seat for my Civic Type R at $1k just to match the car interior.

In my Odeyssey is a Recaro baby seat which I think is around $700 plus... Can't remember actual price as it was bought by my wife.

I want my boy to grow up in racing environment so as to be the next Lewis Hamilton haha.

The recaro is an option for you to consider as I find the support and material used are well worth the price.

Hope it helps.

Wow nice... Recaro baby seat are nice...but expensive....hee your boy is a very fortunate child [flowerface]

i got a maxi-cosi cabriofix for free (original price was about $320) when i bought my stroller from baby hypermart. Sometimes they have these bundled deals so keep a look out as you can save quite a bit.

Hmm we are thinking of getting a capella stroller...the prices there seems on par with tangs/isetan...and no freebies this round :(

Thanks Bro for the advice, I agree that buying one car seat that will supposedly last till 7 yrs old may not be a good idea as the car seat will get dirty with age.

Hmm went to kaki Bukit last weekend...Baby Kingdom and Baby Hypermart...but didnt get anything. Maxi-Cosi is a good option...will go check out Isetan sales also. :D

It'll grow old and look old, cloth may be torn, but a little touch up and patching could save you some money. My son already 7 years old and still using the same car seat for 3 yrs. Some cloth are torn, due to repeated washing. Just need a piece to cloth to patch it up and it's good for another 3 yrs.

Hmm we are thinking of getting a capella stroller...the prices there seems on par with tangs/isetan...and no freebies this round :(

did you check mothercare or kiddy palace? They might have some promotion. Get a stroller that fits your need. All my frds and relatives were asking me to get those small and light strollers - eg: combi but i don't really like it cos it feels rather rickety. Also, the small wheels tends to get caught on uneven ground plus i can't fit the maxi-cosi to the stroller.

So i got one of those big wheels type of stroller. Ya, it's heavy but it doesn't matter since we're driving anyway. The stroller feels much more stable and i can fit the maxi-cosi onto it. Very useful when the baby is stil sleeping.

hmm, why did i miss this thread.

ok, my two cents. for car seat i had those basket shape one, rear facing, when baby was less than a year old. then i changed to those for toddler type, cost $170 from kiddy palace at toa payoh, and baby loves it. certainly recommend papa thargor to check it out there.

as for stroller, i had a combi, about $270, not bad, it is really light and fairly durable. but i later bought another maclaren which is light weight and smaller, easier to fit into boot. i regretted not getting this one in the first place, but i guess you will need to buy two strollers, one in car and one at home for that evening stroll.

to Thargor, a word of advise, i know how excited one feels as a first time parent, and trust me you will be spending money like nobody's business from the day baby is born. so you should try to keep your money and make it count, and not anyhow buy expensive things for your baby. i used to have savings every year, but in the first year of baby, whole year cannot save. the toys, food, check ups, clothing, monthly diapers and milk powder, maid or baby sitter fee etc , is no joke hor.

in a nutshell, dont buy those very expensive car seat, a $200 suffices, and drive safely.

Edited by Vextan

Wow bro..this one looks good. Do they have the black one as well? $299 is a good buy...did you buy it during sales/promotion? [laugh]

Buy during Robinson sale

Hi Bros and Sisters,

I am in the midst of sourcing for a baby car seat for my daughter next year. Any good brands to recommend? I am looking for those that can be inclined horizontally for newborn and can be converted to todder car seat. Wife told me she spot this car seat that is suitable for new born all the way to 7 years old...around 800 bucks.

I am just thinking, should I get one that cater from newborn to 2 years old (think can get a decent one for below 400)...when my girl is older i will get another bigger one (shld be able to get a decent one below 400). The price will add up to the 800 bucks one too.

Appreciate any tip and experience shared on the above, many thanks! [laugh]

I suggests getting a basket for newborn until baby is about 18 months old, then you switch to normal toddler/child seat. The reason is as Asians (I think you should be la) we tend to be smaller sized, thus those run of mill 0-4 years old type is not secure.

I have gotten into quite a serious accident when my baby was less than a year old, was hit from behind by a lady driver who failed to notice everyone infront of her had stopped (no e brake ok!) and my baby was perfectly fine in the basket cause it was secure. The rest of us had to go to the hospital for aches and pain.

Get a proper fitting (small basket) for the newborn and switch when the kid gets bigger and older. Don't go for the one size fits all mentality.

↡ Advertisement