Baby Car Seat Advice

Thargor

yeah but if baby grows big very fast, the basket type wont last until age one. my baby at nine months old already cannot fit into the basket seat already. so it is not practical to buy these.

↡ Advertisement

did you check mothercare or kiddy palace? They might have some promotion. Get a stroller that fits your need. All my frds and relatives were asking me to get those small and light strollers - eg: combi but i don't really like it cos it feels rather rickety. Also, the small wheels tends to get caught on uneven ground plus i can't fit the maxi-cosi to the stroller.

So i got one of those big wheels type of stroller. Ya, it's heavy but it doesn't matter since we're driving anyway. The stroller feels much more stable and i can fit the maxi-cosi onto it. Very useful when the baby is stil sleeping.

Haven't checked on Mothercare and Kiddy palace yet...hehe hoping to check it out this weekend. For stroller I am looking for those that can swap the handlers front or back facing...with full canopy and 2 'windows' with flaps on front and back.

Agree with you bro that its important to get a good stable stroller so that baby can sleep peacefully even when on the move :wub:

TS, will you post another thread asking about play pen, cot bed, toys, cabinet, milk powder brand, diaper brand, confinement lady, baby sitter, breast feeding etc etc ?

perhaps you can read www.idobaby.com\forum for good infor .

Depends on the design really. Some "one size fits all" can actually use for newborn up and fits snugly and securely, and some not really suitable for newborn even if they advertise it as suitable.

Just need to spend more time to compare and understand the differences, and apply some common sense when making the decision.

Of cos, those basket ones designed only for small babies sure fit, but still do compare construction and material and manufacturing date.

Haven't checked on Mothercare and Kiddy palace yet...hehe hoping to check it out this weekend. For stroller I am looking for those that can swap the handlers front or back facing...with full canopy and 2 'windows' with flaps on front and back.

Agree with you bro that its important to get a good stable stroller so that baby can sleep peacefully even when on the move :wub:

go to toa payoh kiddypalace and harbour front for mothercare, these are their flagship stores for more choice. and pls sign up as member cos you will get discount and you will be buying things from them very often.

Edited by Vextan

hmm, why did i miss this thread.

ok, my two cents. for car seat i had those basket shape one, rear facing, when baby was less than a year old. then i changed to those for toddler type, cost $170 from kiddy palace at toa payoh, and baby loves it. certainly recommend papa thargor to check it out there.

as for stroller, i had a combi, about $270, not bad, it is really light and fairly durable. but i later bought another maclaren which is light weight and smaller, easier to fit into boot. i regretted not getting this one in the first place, but i guess you will need to buy two strollers, one in car and one at home for that evening stroll.

to Thargor, a word of advise, i know how excited one feels as a first time parent, and trust me you will be spending money like nobody's business from the day baby is born. so you should try to keep your money and make it count, and not anyhow buy expensive things for your baby. i used to have savings every year, but in the first year of baby, whole year cannot save. the toys, food, check ups, clothing, monthly diapers and milk powder, maid or baby sitter fee etc , is no joke hor.

in a nutshell, dont buy those very expensive car seat, a $200 suffices, and drive safely.

this is so true... the start up cost does get into you. Wifey and i have spent quite a bit getting the neccessary stuff... and to think we bought most of them from sales. [sweatdrop]. The only thing we don't scrimp on is milk powder and diapers.

yeah but if baby grows big very fast, the basket type wont last until age one. my baby at nine months old already cannot fit into the basket seat already. so it is not practical to buy these.

You buy stuff like that, you are talking about safety. Practically, the cost of buying a basket for 0-18months and then buying a toddler/child seat costs about the same as buying a seat from 0-4 years.

My personal opinion is safety comes first, and I have first hand experience regarding this. Thus, I do not care that I have to unbuckle and swap out the baby basket for a child seat because it is less practical. A child in infant stage is at its most venerable, I rather have safety over practicality during this stage.

I can avoid accidents as best as my driving ability allows me to. However, I cannot avoid accidents when I am at a complete stop at a traffic light and been waiting for 6 secs for the lights to turn green then wham bam get hit in the arse by a driver who is unaware of the road conditions. BTW this type of situations seem to be happening more often recently.

Yep... a car is the best sleeping pill for a baby or toddler... if the kid is cranky and is not wanting to sleep, just strap into the car, crank up the AC, and go for a drive. Guarantee will fall asleep before you drive 5km. [idea]

Neutral Newbie

Hmm we are thinking of getting a capella stroller...the prices there seems on par with tangs/isetan...and no freebies this round :(

Personally find that stroller with bigger wheels are better for mounting kerbs, I had budget constraint cos twins. so bought cheap ones ($70+) from Isetan at Parkway Parade. The wheels are small and not good for mounting kerbs. Anyway, just my experience...

yeah... quite a few brands which fits your needs. eg: Peg Perego, Micra Lite, Capella etc

BTW, mothercare having promo... can take a look

amazing9.jpg

Go for Maclaren stroller, strong & sturdy..i even can sit on it and im 95kg.

very easy to use & lightweight. I can use 1 hand to fold & unfold stroller, while carrying baby. This i feel is a very very important & practical function.

Thank you bros for all the good tips and advice, much appreciated and certainly will be well bear in mind when I shop for the car seat and stroller with wifey.

Hehe just to hijack my own thread a bit, any take on Cord Blood bank? I am likely to sign up for a package soon. ^_^

Thank you bros for all the good tips and advice, much appreciated and certainly will be well bear in mind when I shop for the car seat and stroller with wifey.

Hehe just to hijack my own thread a bit, any take on Cord Blood bank? I am likely to sign up for a package soon. ^_^

Besides pricing, one thing to ask both the companies is do they have a limit on the qty stored. Means if you happen to collect alot of cells for your baby during birth, do they store ALL of it or they have limited storage per baby so they need to discard some?

Besides pricing, one thing to ask both the companies is do they have a limit on the qty stored. Means if you happen to collect alot of cells for your baby during birth, do they store ALL of it or they have limited storage per baby so they need to discard some?

Hmm I never thought of that, the pamphlets and stuff never mention this. Will sure to pose this question to the staff...thanks bro!

Bro Thargor, may i know when is ur baby's EDD? Next yr rite? Same 2....

I'd be reusing an available basket baby seat from my ILs.... now juz looking ard for the toddler one.....

Any ideas when mothercar or kiddy palace normally have sales? Maybe can plan for this next yr. For now, i'll be holding out all purchases on impulse. Dun even know gender yet [:p]

↡ Advertisement