Malaysia: Drive up to Malacca

Qqman

Can i check what you guys use for 4G in Malaysia ?
Thinking of using Google Maps to navigate.

I'm using Singtel, there is like $10/GB plan, any better options ?

↡ Advertisement

download for google maps in SG, valid for one month, save on data charges.

As long as got connection, should be easy then in MY as you already have most map data saved on your phone. If no data, the map cannot talk, but still got chimming sounds. [:p]

• Praise 1

download for google maps in SG, valid for one month, save on data charges.

As long as got connection, should be easy then in MY as you already have most map data saved on your phone. If no data, the map cannot talk, but still got chimming sounds. [:p]

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, still need data to use apps or google for stuffs so i think a proper plan would be more suitable for me.

It's only 4 hrs drive straight to KL, if U drive within speed limits.

Factor in 2 rest stops, it will only take u 5 - 5.5 hrs max.

Many small hotels in Yong Peng & Tangkak (which aren't that far off the NSHW) but no pool.

A'Famosa resort may be an option but why choose the hassle of check-in & check-out ?

I go for one rest stop and able to reach in 3.5 hrs. If chiong can reach 3hrs.

If worry too tired then take a quick nap or longer rest at rest stop

I buy sim card there

Philea Resort & Spa just next to Ayer Keroh exit, big big swimming pool.

Heard review isnt that great lol
  • Praise 1

However, still need data to use apps or google for stuffs so i think a proper plan would be more suitable for me.

drive up and stop over at machap R&R, there is a kiosk selling prepaid card. just get one around RM30, good for few days usage.

• Praise 1

I stayed there once a few years ago, personally find it not a bad spot to relax after coming back from Thailand - but there are also tons of other options along NSHW. This one happens to be conveniently next to toll exit.

You stay in huts which are decently maintained by M'sia standards - two linked rooms in one hut if you go as a family, but requires a little bit of walking. It's a place to relax, not for people who goes to Melaka for the usual Jonker Street tour, it is about 30 mins drive to town, but only about 15 mins to Melaka Sentral for shopping and 3 mins to Ayer Keroh Parkson/Jusco.

I see heard alot mosquitoes, poor insulation etc for such high price

Anyone used Flexiroam X before? How is it? Seems useful

i use DIGI prepaid.

Having a local sim card is useful not only for data, but also for calling hotels and other places that use a fixed/land line tel number.

• Praise 1

i use DIGI prepaid.

Having a local sim card is useful not only for data, but also for calling hotels and other places that use a fixed/land line tel number.

Thanks for the information.

I wish they were as easy as buying a data sim in Thailand/Taiwan...

Not sure which is the best plan for MY.

Yeah lor. Why not easy?

I personally use TRON. They can ship the simcard to you in Singapore as well. They use digi's network and have relatively cheap data plans. Just log on and buy from them.

Pros: Valid for 12 months from top up. Every time you top up, validity restarts.

Cons: They don't have any connection when you are in Singapore. That means you have to login via their app or website to subscribe to their data plan (you can also do so once you are in JB). But if you forget to cancel before leaving JB, then no choice, gotta log on their app to cancel otherwise your $ will be deducted everyday.

Yeah lor. Why not easy?

I personally use TRON. They can ship the simcard to you in Singapore as well. They use digi's network and have relatively cheap data plans. Just log on and buy from them.

Pros: Valid for 12 months from top up. Every time you top up, validity restarts.

Cons: They don't have any connection when you are in Singapore. That means you have to login via their app or website to subscribe to their data plan (you can also do so once you are in JB). But if you forget to cancel before leaving JB, then no choice, gotta log on their app to cancel otherwise your $ will be deducted everyday.

If you are on Starhub, this is worth considering. SGD15 for 2G data for 30 days covering most regional countries, including Malaysia.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/mobile-phones-plans/value-added-services/roaming/postpaid-roaming/data-plans/datatravel.html

Thanks for the information.

I wish they were as easy as buying a data sim in Thailand/Taiwan...

Not sure which is the best plan for MY.

hmm? still quite easy mah.

They don't hv sim card shops lined up at the border crossings, but most big malls will hv. Not sure if 7-11 sells new cards but they can top up credit

hmm? still quite easy mah.

They don't hv sim card shops lined up at the border crossings, but most big malls will hv. Not sure if 7-11 sells new cards but they can top up credit

The last time I went to malacca, someone bought SIM card for us. However the instructions not present on the packaging.

End up we consumed the credit up on data early as we didn't know we had to send sms to activate x-days unlimited data....

Maybe next time I'll try going to those shopping malls and have them explain to me better

The last time I went to malacca, someone bought SIM card for us. However the instructions not present on the packaging.

End up we consumed the credit up on data early as we didn't know we had to send sms to activate x-days unlimited data....

Maybe next time I'll try going to those shopping malls and have them explain to me better

oh... yeap, best to buy those data plans (while the phone data is still switched off)

quite common for prepaid cards, I believe.

BTW I don't think the data plans are unlimited per se, but very much cheaper than the non-plan rate. Initially I wasn't aware of the large gap in data rates but like u, found out the hard way.

one time... my laptop had a windows update while using my hp hotspot in Msia LOL

• Praise 2

Google is your buddy.  Go online & check lah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_in_Malaysia

For top up coupon, if you go beyond JB, go to Shell station right after 2nd link.  Confirm got 1.  I always buy there.

Yeah lor. Why not easy?

What is the cost and if you don't cancel how much is daily charge when you are in Singapore?

What is the cost and if you don't cancel how much is daily charge when you are in Singapore?

Example if a person subscribe this data plan ...RM5 Week 150MB (RM5 Week 150MB). If did not unsubscribe before end of the expiry date, it will auto renew every week until the account balance is empty.

Few years ago when the Tron app was not available, I had to email Tron customer service for assistance to unsubscribe my monthly data plan RM25, as we do not have Tron network in SG. In fact I did suggest that they should allow sub/unsub via online, so the customer service do not have to deal with such emails.

Edited by Opel17

Yeah lor. Why not easy?

We are using Tron as well, being "migrate" over from the Genting Worldcard Mobile partnership.

The Tron app is very useful for topup before setting out to Malaysia.

↡ Advertisement