Ford forum

Pool100

They used to bring in Titanium trim (NOT Titanium X) ..... but i think no more. The last i asked, they have only a beige colour sedan left for the titanium.

What's left now are the Trend.

And then, the OMV.... its so damn low.... only about 25k. I think Honda Civic already more than that.

If you want a good deal,... wait till March or April, when they want to clear their YoM 2009 cars... then they will give good deals.

Otherwise, better to wait for the ECOBoost + Powershift to come (probably 2012) .... or buy another car. like the Citroen C5, Renault Laguna, Skoda Superb, Alfa 159, Mazda 6 or the Opel Insignia.

↡ Advertisement

I think regent has priced mondeo way above what it should be worth... esp. since this is the most basic Trend model only. Major rip off.

High markups / margin on Ford cars are a well known fact, debated ad infinitum in MCF in the past .... until nobody wants to talk about it any more now.

Go to LTA's ONEMOTORING and look under cost of cars and you will understand why.

Look at the OMV, prevailing COE and selling price.

Why must one pay a premium for a non-luxury mass-market marque?

Its a free world. Ask anything you want and potential buyers will all but disperse.

There are always options.

Sad - cos the Focus and Modeo are really good cars. [:(]

Another similar case is FIAT. How many are on SG roads?

IMO it is not really abt how mark up they are,

but their brand value in the eyes of the public....

look at the profit margin of Merc n BMW n Audi, does that stop people from buying them...

Opel and VW are the people's choice in China, but both brands got different results in Spore.

VW, since taken over, has done remarkably well, becoz Middleman is cut and prices become more competitive...coz OMV up to them to decide....

Opel since not doing well, coz still dealership....

Skoda....still a wild card, coz current dealer still not proven.

Ok thanks. I was hoping the FC will be slightly better but I guess can't expect much.

If you can get into the ford forum, can ask them if there's something wrong with their registration page? i.e the verification picture

thanks!

=============

Wah 10.5km/lit for such a big car as Mondeo is very good already. [thumbsup]

My Optra gets about the same.

For very good FC u sud try a Fit/Jazz but then again u wont get the luxury of the Mondeo.

That's exactly what I said.

Maintaining a high markup / margin for a non-luxury, mass-market marque is [hur]

Wrong business model, IMHO.

Who is to say right or wrong business model? As long as the business is profitable, that should be sufficient for the company to go ahead with the model.

VW Passat's 1.8TSI OMV is only 30k, but selling at 120k. They are still selling it reasonably well. They brought in the Passat CC with OMV slightly lower than normal Passat, but priced slightly higher. The CC still sells with waiting time of a few months! Sometimes, it just works by pricing items much higher than they are actually worth as this radically changes consumer perceptions.

They used to bring in Titanium trim (NOT Titanium X) ..... but i think no more. The last i asked, they have only a beige colour sedan left for the titanium.

What's left now are the Trend.

And then, the OMV.... its so damn low.... only about 25k. I think Honda Civic already more than that.

If you want a good deal,... wait till March or April, when they want to clear their YoM 2009 cars... then they will give good deals.

Otherwise, better to wait for the ECOBoost + Powershift to come (probably 2012) .... or buy another car. like the Citroen C5, Renault Laguna, Skoda Superb, Alfa 159, Mazda 6 or the Opel Insignia.

Wrong. The basic Trend model's OMV is only 22k now and yet they are now pricing it more than what the Titanium trim used to cost. [hur] [hur] [hur] To say that they're over-pricing their cars is a massive understatement. Based on my calculations, their margins are about 32-33k for the mondeo which is really crazy.

To top it off, I see now they are not even giving full leather seats... just some lousy half fabric seats which they claim is factory fitted and so better quality. [hur] [hur] [hur]

Regent motors are ripping their customers off and sadly not many are aware of it.

I think I'm gravitating towards the Jetta 1.4 TSI at close to 80+k... much better deal, lower price, higher OMV, much lower road tax and insurance, and comes with many features that the basic trend mondeo doesn't have.

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys, are there any ford owners around here? I've been trying to interact with focus and mondeo owners but it seems that they're quite hard to find here.

When I try to register on the fordclub.sg via the register page http://www.fordclubsg.com/smf/index.php?action=register - it can't be done because there's always an error on the verification picture...

So I really wonder where all the ford owners are hiding. Any idea? Pls help... thanks!

Try this link : http://www.fordclubsg.com/smf/

You should not have any issue registering yourself.

Edited by Pjct3

Thanks but it's impossible to register because the picture verification thingy doesn't work... you try to register and you'll know what I mean...

The perceptions of VW and Ford cars in Singapore, by the buying public, are quite different - as somehow, VW conjures a more 'atas' image here ... though not really up to luxury marque levels (VAG has the Audi brand anyway), but at least perceived to be 'better' than the mass-market, bread-and-butter brands.

This, mind you, is only a perception, as the gap between VW and Ford is really not much in Europe (especially), Australia, or the USA, unlike what it has been perceived to be in SG.

So your argument point is moot.

It should not apply to brands like Ford, FIAT, Citroen, Renault and SAAB in Singapore.

How many of these marques actually sell in abundance and are seen aplenty on SG roads?

Wrong. The basic Trend model's OMV is only 22k now and yet they are now pricing it more than what the Titanium trim used to cost. [hur] [hur] [hur] To say that they're over-pricing their cars is a massive understatement. Based on my calculations, their margins are about 32-33k for the mondeo which is really crazy.

To top it off, I see now they are not even giving full leather seats... just some lousy half fabric seats which they claim is factory fitted and so better quality. [hur] [hur] [hur]

Regent motors are ripping their customers off and sadly not many are aware of it.

I think I'm gravitating towards the Jetta 1.4 TSI at close to 80+k... much better deal, lower price, higher OMV, much lower road tax and insurance, and comes with many features that the basic trend mondeo doesn't have.

em... Jetta tho wears a VW badge, is made in Mexico for the Americans who likes sedan instead of hatchbacks. The Jettas that comes to Singapore is either made in Mexico or South Africa.... most probably the latter as its also a RHD country.

So, for the same price, not looking at the badge, i'd rather get the Skoda Octavia with the same engine/transmission.

....or get the Golf Mk6 with the same engine/trans ...

Jetta is still base on mk5 Golf.

Neutral Newbie

I have the Ford Mondeo Ghia. Bought it when Regent was offering it simultaneously alongside the Trend and the Titanium in 2008. I have to admit that the car was more expensive if benchmarked against Japanese equivalents like Camry and Mazda 6. Having said that, it is actually a bloody good car and drives very well. Its also one of the best cars in UK where the competition is very tough and reviews are more candid about which cars are shite and which aren't.

The issue is branding. Its a mass market brand. Actually VW is also a mass market brand as well but somehow is given a more upmarket status in Singapore. The car is Belgian made which to me is as good as German made.

Would I buy the Trend version today at today's prices ? Probably not as certain given the lower trim to the Ghia. I will consider the Mazda 6 more carefully and even try out Citroen C5.

Factors such as OMV and branding are personal. If one changes cars frequently, OMV is important. Branding again is perception driven and also is important when one wants to resell the car as the market will be deeper.

Over the VW Passat , I rate Mondeo better looking, near equivalent to equivalent in build quality, better to drive. Do not have much opinion on the Jetta.

If one is hungry for engine power or sub-ten 0-100km/h dash, don't look at the Mondeo.

Incidentally me and my missus also have a Fiat Bravo and we do not care how many are there on the road because we like it. Test drive one for yourself.

All in all my two cents..

Agreed.

Regent motors think car buyers are suckers in Singapore. The OMV for their trend model has been creeping lower and lower by the day but yet their prices are getting higher and higher. They keep saying that the Mondeo is meant to compete with Audi and BMW... I just kept quiet when I heard the SEs trying to "con" me. It's actually a very expensive car vis a vis the OMV the Trend is valued at now (about 21k+ only). Their profit margins are $33k at current price levels I think. Very very expensive for a bread and butter car.

Honestly, I think it's a matter of time before Regent wakes up their idea. Their show room is always empty and the SEs are kept busy swatting houseflies. I guess their business idea is to sell the their cars at super high margins to a few rather than at a reasonable margin to the mass market.

Agreed.

Regent motors think car buyers are suckers in Singapore. The OMV for their trend model has been creeping lower and lower by the day but yet their prices are getting higher and higher. They keep saying that the Mondeo is meant to compete with Audi and BMW... I just kept quiet when I heard the SEs trying to "con" me. It's actually a very expensive car vis a vis the OMV the Trend is valued at now (about 21k+ only). Their profit margins are $33k at current price levels I think. Very very expensive for a bread and butter car.

Honestly, I think it's a matter of time before Regent wakes up their idea. Their show room is always empty and the SEs are kept busy swatting houseflies. I guess their business idea is to sell the their cars at super high margins to a few rather than at a reasonable margin to the mass market.

Similar applies to TTS and FIAT cars.

Actually a lot of showrooms are squatting flies now even with promotions/price reductions despite COE firming up. They are quite hard up. Sign of something worse to come?

No Doubt....Ford cars are good to drive because of their well tuned chassis. But cars are not just about chassis.... to me, Ford's engine is their biggest achilles heel.

Built quality ... yes comparable to VW, but not perceived quality. VW cars still feels more expensive. But durability, Ford cars are definitely more durable.

Reliability ... Ford is also more reliable. I owned VW for 5 years and lost count of how many times i need to go back to get things right. With Ford, i went back only once in 4.5 years.

Value for money. .... well, what value ? i dont see any value in buying Ford at all.

No Doubt....Ford cars are good to drive because of their well tuned chassis. But cars are not just about chassis.... to me, Ford's engine is their biggest achilles heel.

Built quality ... yes comparable to VW, but not perceived quality. VW cars still feels more expensive. But durability, Ford cars are definitely more durable.

Reliability ... Ford is also more reliable. I owned VW for 5 years and lost count of how many times i need to go back to get things right. With Ford, i went back only once in 4.5 years.

Value for money. .... well, what value ? i dont see any value in buying Ford at all.

I am considering getting the Ford Focus stationwagon, but wasn't too sure on its long-term reliability. Would you then recommend getting it?

I have a budget of <$80K, so the Alfa, Volvo, SAAB, Merc stationwagons are all out of my consideration.

There is a Chevrolet Optra stationwagon, but its made in Thailand, so I shall pass.

Only other option would be a PI Toyota Felder ..... but PI and taxis don't really impress me.

So its back to the Ford Focus 1.6L stationwagon. I might just get that, only if Regent makes its price-OMV ratio more palatable.

↡ Advertisement