Exercising without a gym

Sofarsogood

1) Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks) and all flour

2) Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats to substitute fat calories for carb calories. Drink whole cream or half and half instead of milk.

3) Eliminate grains. No rice, no bread, no noodles, no pasta...

4) Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils). Cook with butter, animal fats, or coconut oil.

5) Get daily midday sun or take 4-8000 iu vit D daily

6) Intermittent fasting and infrequent meals (2 meals a day is best)

7) Fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation.

8) Eliminate legumes

9) Adjust your 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison avoids excess O-6 fatty acids and are better than supplementing with 0-3 supplements.

11) Eliminate milk if you are sensitive to it

Sounds like ketosis to me, but a bit more extreme to ketosis. If you are having just 2 meals a day, I think the hunger pangs will be unbearable. 6-7 small meals will be easier to sustain. The rest of the points look ok, but you might need to define what is good animal fats. For me, I only use fish oils, egg yolks, flaxseed oil, and other natural healthy fats such as salmon, beef steak for good source of fats. No chicken skin, no fatty cuts of pork, etc. The key thing about ketosis is you need to take care of the macro nutrients such as protein and fats, and eliminate carbs. Consume enough of both, and you will see results in the long term. Every week, you can do a carb refeed.

↡ Advertisement

Bro, you sound very pro! [thumbsup]

I'm also following something similar but not as comprehensive. I'm also greatly reducing (not to the extend of eliminating yet) intake of sugars, grains and flour. And because of that, I have this same problem everyday during lunch time - don't know what to eat.

Can i ask, when u eat out, what do you eat?

Not pro at all lah. I met a friend whom I had not seen for a long time. I've always known him to be fat, but when I saw him, he was not only slim, but he was ripped. Muscular but not like pro body builder type. More like Brad Pitt in The Fight Club.

He told me what he ate and I was like "KNN, must be pulling my leg". How can eating more fat make you slim?? He sent me a whole bunch of science and I told myself to just try it for a month. I mean what is the worse that can happen?

To answer your question about what to eat when eating out, at first it was difficult. But after a while, i found the tricks. If you have access to Cold Storage or any place selling oven baked meats, go buy a piece of belly pork or chicken leg, or a whole small chicken, then head over to the yong tau foo stall and supplement that with some veges. If you have no access to any supermarket, I will just have pig organ soup or chicken rice without the rice or char siew or roasted pork. It tends to be expensive to eat a satisfying lunch based on meat from the chicken rice stall.

Before lunch, I like to have a handful of almonds or macadamias together with a small can of pure coconut cream (Ayam brand). That way, during lunch, I really don't need to eat much cos I'm already half full. It's easy to bring into the office and easy to eat. Most importantly, it's absolutely delicious and good for you.

When I first started, I couldn't give up my carbs, so I started off by just cutting half of my carbs. But I cut all sugar (no more canned drinks) and all processed foods. I lost close to 8kg in the first month. I felt better all round. I no longer felt like I needed to nap in the afternoon. I no longer yawned all day long. People around me were starting to notice that my mood was improving and I was looking healthier.

So from the 2nd month, I decided to cut ALL grains. No rice, no noodles, no cereal, no pasta, no bread. I ate a lot more fat. More belly pork, more butter, more bacon (without nitrites), more coconut....etc. The fat on my body literally melted off. Clothes that I bought one week became too big the next week.

My weight kept dropping until i reached my current weight (64kg). It has stabilised and it doesn't deviate from there much at all. I eat til I'm full and never feel like I'm hungry. I can definitely do this for the rest of my life, which is a great liberation for me.

Edited by Chickenbackside

Sounds like ketosis to me, but a bit more extreme to ketosis. If you are having just 2 meals a day, I think the hunger pangs will be unbearable. 6-7 small meals will be easier to sustain. The rest of the points look ok, but you might need to define what is good animal fats. For me, I only use fish oils, egg yolks, flaxseed oil, and other natural healthy fats such as salmon, beef steak for good source of fats. No chicken skin, no fatty cuts of pork, etc. The key thing about ketosis is you need to take care of the macro nutrients such as protein and fats, and eliminate carbs. Consume enough of both, and you will see results in the long term. Every week, you can do a carb refeed.

I thought I was in ketosis, but funnily enough, every time I measure the ketones in my urine with ketone strips, it never is positive. It's probably due to the cheeses and greek yoghurt I eat. Anyway, I used to measure it at first when i changed my eating habits expecting to see ketosis. It never happened and I don't bother anymore.

Regarding the hunger pangs, there is none.

For me personally, the trick is to ingest enough fat. I eat until I am full. No small meals for me. If I have enough fat in the meal, it will keep me full for a long long time. In fact, I really only need one meal per day. But I have 2 just to be more sociable.

As for good animal fats, because of my lifestyle, I can implement it a lot easier than most people due to the fact that i work at home. I eat lots of grass fed beef (which people think is A LOT more expensive than regular farmed beef but is not), organic butter (Harmonie brand is delicious), pure cream (Bulla), raw milk cheeses (lots of choice at Carre Four). I can't seem to find free range chickens, so I buy Sakura chicken from NTUC Finest. Free range eggs are also on the daily menu. Unprocessed bacon is also a staple.

I do not avoid the fats at all and eat it all. In fact, when I do not eat the fatty parts, I will inevitably get hungry in 1 hour and start looking for things to eat, thereby highly increasing my caloric intake for the day. Eating the fat makes me full very quickly and most times, I physically cannot even finish the fatty parts cos it gets too "gelah". Another thing that I notice when I eat less fat is I go to the toilet a lot less. So yeah, the fat keeps me regular too.

If I have to eat out, I'd pop by Cold Storage and get a slab of pork belly. On those days, I'd supplement with fish oil to balance out the overdose of Omega 6's from the farmed meat that I have eaten.

Besides that, flaxseed (freshly ground everytime I eat), avacados, anything coconut derived and with no added ingredients, nuts (almonds, macadamias, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts, but NOT peanuts which is technically a legume), dark green leafy veges, brightly coloured veges, broccoli and cauliflower, blue/black/rasp berries, green tea... are part of my daily foods.

No one diet will work for everyone due to the many factors that is needed execute and maintain it. I'm glad you have found your method.

But I think the underlying principle to good health is pretty much the same.

Keep your blood sugar stable by eating things that do not give you massive insulin spikes. This means cutting out sugar and anything that turns into sugar inside a human's body, which includes carbohydrates. Once this is achieved, obesity and metabolic syndrome should pretty much be eliminated for most people.

Sugar is just bad news for the human body.

Exercise is just a small catalyst to tie everything together.

Edited by Chickenbackside

To bros who r really pro here, wat is e best way to lose my 2 spare tyres at e side. I run 30 mins or power walk 1 hr for 5 days a week. Diet restrict to 2000 cal n seldom takes dinner. But still seems not able to shave it off [;)] . Any suggestion?? [:p]

Are there any gym around the East Coast / Changi Road area?

parkway parade got....

if not bedok stadium SSC gym

A carb refeed once a week would take you into a anabolic diet.

Turbocharged

Your diet is at best a crash diet that works for high fat/obese individuals looking to drop from 30 odd % to say 10+.

It is unhealthy and not sustainable. To put it bluntly, you lost out on the battle of the flab previously because you have no discipline. The discipline to eat clean healthy food.

Its never a proper method to survive mainly on fats and protein and low carb. I was literally shocked when you said you eliminated rice.

You're doing a calorie deficit diet right there but substituting the right ingredients with the wrong ones. You will still lose weight since there is a calorie deficit but the long term ramifications of the high fat diet is really scary.

I suggest you revert to eating clean solid food 5-6 times a day (small meals). By means of clean, I mean whole grains (rice, wheat, oats) and steamed food. Throw in the occasional fried food to satisfy your craving but not too much.

Its all about discipline which you really lack and are looking for an easy way out with the high fat diet.

wow.... so it is ok if you don't take in carbo? i thought carbohydrates is part of a balanced meal? [confused]

Funny how it goes against everything we have ever been told, isn't it?

For example, America is the nation that consumes the least fat. Their food pyramid consists of mostly carbs and very low fat. Yet they are number 1 in the world in terms of obesity, diabetes, cancers...etc. And ironically, before their government stepped in and told them to cut out fat and eat more vegetable oils (based on Ancel Keys flawed research), all these diseases were no where near the proportions that they're at now.

Anyway, don't believe in anything but science. If you have ever studied biochemistry, you will know that fat storage is a hormonal event. Sugar and carbs cause the highest insulin spikes. When this happens, your body stops burning fat and you store it. Eat in a way that doesn't stop your body from burning fat and you will not be fat. Quite simple really.

Let's go back to science. The human body actually has no physiological need for carbohydrates. Your body can make its own sugar out of fat and protein. If you want, have a read here:

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/8/...ally-criti.html

I know it's highly controversial and against mainstream medical advice. But I can only say from my own experiences, and the experiences of those around me who have tried this way of eating is that it simply works. It has enabled some of my family members to go completely off diabetes/cholesterol medication, lose unnecessary weight and feel better than they ever have in their lives.

When I get to my computer, I'll post up some sites of doctors and cardiologists and researchers that agree with this dogma.

Your diet is at best a crash diet that works for high fat/obese individuals looking to drop from 30 odd % to say 10+.

It is unhealthy and not sustainable. To put it bluntly, you lost out on the battle of the flab previously because you have no discipline. The discipline to eat clean healthy food.

Its never a proper method to survive mainly on fats and protein and low carb. I was literally shocked when you said you eliminated rice.

You're doing a calorie deficit diet right there but substituting the right ingredients with the wrong ones. You will still lose weight since there is a calorie deficit but the long term ramifications of the high fat diet is really scary.

I suggest you revert to eating clean solid food 5-6 times a day (small meals). By means of clean, I mean whole grains (rice, wheat, oats) and steamed food. Throw in the occasional fried food to satisfy your craving but not too much.

Its all about discipline which you really lack and are looking for an easy way out with the high fat diet.

I respectfully disagree. I have eaten this way for one year, and the only reason is because it is effortless. I can continue to do this for the rest of my life without problem.

Like I said, it is highly controversial and I do not expect most people to buy the idea. But my doctor, seeing my last blood work, remarked he has never seen this type of improvement in his career, even with drugs. I did it without a single pill. My uncle who has been a diabetic for 10 years is now off his medication as he is no longer diabetic. His doctor is totally shocked.

Anyway, have a look at the science first before jumping. I was exactly lke you when I heard about this way of eating. I mocked it. I told my friend that he's trying to kill me early and that what he's saying is ridiculous.

But the improvements in health of people around me who have tried it convinced me it works.

Neutral Newbie

I respectfully disagree. I have eaten this way for one year, and the only reason is because it is effortless. I can continue to do this for the rest of my life without problem.

Like I said, it is highly controversial and I do not expect most people to buy the idea. But my doctor, seeing my last blood work, remarked he has never seen this type of improvement in his career, even with drugs. I did it without a single pill. My uncle who has been a diabetic for 10 years is now off his medication as he is no longer diabetic. His doctor is totally shocked.

Anyway, have a look at the science first before jumping. I was exactly lke you when I heard about this way of eating. I mocked it. I told my friend that he's trying to kill me early and that what he's saying is ridiculous.

But the improvements in health of people around me who have tried it convinced me it works.

Thanks very much sharing. Please remember to post some links of medical studies or research of this diet (btw is there a name for it?).

I'm presently not that unhealthy but hitting my middle age and recently detected that I have borderline high cholestrol and my is bp 130/90 (which the new standard says is hypertension), and since my thirties have not been able to go under 73kg. My objective is to bring the cholestrol level down, BP to 120/80 and 65kg.

Last 6mths I've been running 4 to 5x a week, training to complete the marathon, cut down 3/4 rice intake during dinner, I've brought my weight down to 72-73kg from 78kg. I'm 1.7m tall.

Besides health reasons, being the vain pot that I'm, I'd like to completely remove my love handles, and get that 6-pack and weigh 65kg. :D

Edited by Topgun

Yes, bro, I second that, it is totally unhealthy to maintain this sort of diet, but bro, different strokes for different folks, if they like it, let it be. Advice given, up to them to take it or leave it.

Chickenbackside, don't take offense, just giving pure clean advice, but any diet for a obese person

if followed properly, will get the person to drop a high % in body fat, until they hit their pleatue.

[:)]