Top 10 selling cars in Singapore for 2009

Chao5

Yes there is not point comparing a cvic against magentis... well actually there is no point comparing because we buy what our budget allows us... [laugh]

TS is trying to say that the koreans are catching up fast against the Japs which is true. their target is the same as jap which is mass consumer... unlike ferraris.

but since they lack brand recgonition, they have to offer something more to capture the market which is more toys, cheaper price,more stylish designs, etc.

so unless jap start improving, they will face a serious problem from both the koreans and the Chinese.

but the japs are also facing pressure from 2 big market segment in EU and US which they have to ensure they are still one BIG step away from the koreans.

while the japs will continue to invest in EU and US, ensuring that the koreans are not catching up, asia will have to take a back seat.

Singapore is a small market where cars are expensive. there is no point to invest too much due to the laws of diminishing returns. else altis will come in 2.4L dual vvt-i 5 speed w/ paddle shift [:)]

Usually it is the agents i.e. BM, Kah motors that will suffer the most since they are losing market share thus reduce in profits.

ONLY niche market cars can survie in singapore since it does not require a big threshold population to sustain its profits, so more attention will be paid to this market of consumer.

Not many in singapore can afford a Lexus LFA right? [laugh]

Jap cars build quality is getting bad to worse...

and their interior color combinations are trash...

Korean cars are much more stylish and built well...

With the Yen so high, it's very hard for them to move cars...

People are starting to move away from the traditional thinking that Jap cars are the best.

Recently they shaved 5K off a camry and 6K off altis etc.

I think they still have a very good profit margin, i was curious and went to take a look, the camry OMV is about 26K, so they still have about 15K margin after 5K discount.

Still not moving cars, they have to do better than that.

I question why Japan government not stepping in to lower the yen, it's killing their export market, bulk of it are from cars. How can they fight with the koreans and euros with so high OMV for a low built quality car?

↡ Advertisement

[hur] alot of people who are not in the know, thinks euro cars have very high maintenance at their distributor. that is not true. if you have driven a jap car and a euro car, it's about the same, sometimes euro even cheaper. A major service for example is $400++, but jap major service is at 40K km, euro at 60K km (depending on driving styles). Jap service intervals 10K km, Euro 20K km. Servicing costs about the same for Jap and Euro each time, so what do you think? Jap is cheaper? [laugh] dunno don't anyhow say...

HOWEVER, euro's have more of a reputation for breaking down after their warranty, and they are major faults, like gearbox and electrical failure etc... Jap usually have simpler technologies and they have less breakdowns, and cheaper repairs...

So don't be confused with the maintenance costs, Euro is cheaper for regular maintenance, but breakdown maintenance is more expensive and more often. This also explains the resale value for euros, why they drop so much after their warranty. No one dares to buy one, cos if you buy a problem car, you are quite screwed... :wacko:

Isn't that what i am saying?? [hur]

read my post again leh.

Edited by Joseph22

Jap cars build quality is getting bad to worse...

and their interior color combinations are trash...

Korean cars are much more stylish and built well...

With the Yen so high, it's very hard for them to move cars...

People are starting to move away from the traditional thinking that Jap cars are the best.

Recently they shaved 5K off a camry and 6K off altis etc.

I think they still have a very good profit margin, i was curious and went to take a look, the camry OMV is about 26K, so they still have about 15K margin after 5K discount.

Still not moving cars, they have to do better than that.

I question why Japan government not stepping in to lower the yen, it's killing their export market, bulk of it are from cars. How can they fight with the koreans and euros with so high OMV for a low built quality car?

Dun think got anything to do with jap govt....

yen need to be prop up else imports will be expensive... Japan maybe big but they still import a lot of raw materials hence the need for high yen...

It is not that they are getting from bad to worse... they just maintain the same level of standard as the past.

It is the koreans are improving so are the chinese which makes the jap look like they are retarding.

BUT asia is not their key market now, for those who are willing to pay top dollar are the people from america and europe thus more focus is placed on there to ensure they will still rival out to against koreans.

if not we will be getting all the newer technology as i mentioned above just for altis...

Also our tax on cars plays a role on the models and our market size does not allow us to dictate what we want.

there is nothing much we can do.

these are the top 10 cars based on sheer volume, ie. no. of units right?

that's why we don't see many luxury cars in the list..

the Koreans are doing well! wondering when they will bring in the Hyundai Genesis Coupe!

cerato is a surprise

why would that be a surprise? it's a quite a good car, abt as good as avante.

cerato/forte sales grew twofold in 2009 vs 2008. avante i think was abt 30+% growth.

Neutral Newbie

Cheapness may not only be the criteria for largest selling car. If the cheapest was the main reason, then cherry would be numero ono

Cheapness may not only be the criteria for largest selling car. If the cheapest was the main reason, then cherry would be numero ono

There is a thread titled "Cheapest $$$ per BHP". Results are:

Hyundai Advante = $487/bhp

Chery QQ = $576/bhp

Also, the power to weight rato:

Hyundai Advante = 103 bhp/ton

Chery QQ = 58.8 bhp/ton (almost 20 sec to reach 100km/hr)

So looks like Advante is a better buy than QQ. More value per $.

Heavier body does not mean safer car to be in. FYI, for Jap car, they have something call crash zone. Which mean, in the even of accident, they allow certain portion of the car exterior body to be crash before reaching the protected area. The purpose of this is that in the event where the car hit a pedestrian, the survivor rate of the Pedestrians are higher.

FYI Honda have a 5 start rating on Safety while kia Magnetis have only 4 star and Forte is not even send for testing.

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/honda/civic.aspx

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/kia/magentis.aspx

which car is not safety again??

I suggest, check before commenting.

crash zone already existed for >20 yrs, most car manufacturer already build in the design. Still the thickness of body steel play an important part eventually. Why Volvo is safest car? go & press the body, compared to Hyundai & Honda. Volvo & Hyundai are closed, Honda is soft.

Whatever, safety comes first.

Surprisingly .. with Forte on the market already ..

Vios is still within the top 10

My friend got a Vios, not because she like Vios but being a conservative person, she thinks that Vios is affordable and a SAFE choice, sure will not go wrong since it is a Toyota... Ironically Toyota isn't so safe afterall, the majority may not be rite... [idea]

Forte released in mid 2009 right? so fast can become top 10? i do see a lot in my mscp...

Its cheap and good-looking (unlike the previous KIA's) <_<

I believe when it come to Altis, people are not comparing it to last gen alone. but to the current Gen MIJ Allion. Which is definitely better build with better FC than Altis.

Between Altis and Allion , the workmanship\quality\ design is world apart.

I believe when it come to Altis, people are not comparing it to last gen alone. but to the current Gen MIJ Allion. Which is definitely better build with better FC than Altis.

Allion is like Sylphy. supposed to be 1 grade above..

How can compare latio to sylphy? (like axio/altis to allion)

Its cheap and good-looking (unlike the previous KIA's) <_<

The Kia had been rebirth, after Peter Schreyer (ex audi designer) went over.

Mixed blood of conti and kimchi.

Kimchi power and conti styling, with affordable price tag.

Kia mean some serious business here.

Everyone can make a car, not make a car for everyone.

Well, Kia motto is to make car for everyone.

Peace.

Edited by Sohboonguan
↡ Advertisement