Audi A5 Sportback

Elviskoh

Multitronic = CVT

I don't think you can find it on A5 any variants since A5 is considered mid level in Audi range or slightly higher. You can find it in the older A4 1.8TFSI (B8).

S-Tronic = DSG transmission

Most of them are wet clutch so reliability shouldn't be a problem. But people tend to mix up Audi and VW easily and assume Audi is equally unreliable esp with its gearbox. I don't blame them. Also, the infamous VW dry 7 speed dual clutch transmission can be found in the current Audi range.. namely the A1 (correct me if I am wrong) and A3 sportback/sedan. 

So if I am looking for a model like A5 or A6, I wouldn't be too worried about the transmission  :D

That said.. BMW's ZF transmission or the Merc 7G-tronic (plus or no plus) also have minor reliability issues. See heng suay one.

best go vagsg and go read up... haha

↡ Advertisement

I dumped my A5 coupe after about 2 years because the gearbox was about to play up on me.

Your A5 is 2.0TFSI or the 1.8TFSI? S-tronic only right?

Play up on you means what? MU failure like the VW 7DSG? Juddering like most DCTs?

Just curious.

Was 2.0TFSI. Am not sure about the technical jargon but the car was juddering and occasional lost of power were some of the symptoms encountered.

Your A5 is 2.0TFSI or the 1.8TFSI? S-tronic only right?

Play up on you means what? MU failure like the VW 7DSG? Juddering like most DCTs?

Just curious.

Hypersonic

Hi bros and sis, hope you all don't mind digging up an old thread.

Am looking at the market for a 2013-2014 A5 Sportback 2.0 Quattro. Can any pros please advise me on what to expect in terms of maintenance costs?

Are the horror stories on Audi true?

What's the FC like?

Cause I'm comparing between A5, A6 and 520, 528 of the same age. 528 is slightly above my budget so now drawing my attention to the A5 SB.

Love the look after changing to RS grill and rims.

Just sold my F30 316.

Thank you in advance!

Wah bro so fast sold ride Liao

Hi bros and sis, hope you all don't mind digging up an old thread.

Am looking at the market for a 2013-2014 A5 Sportback 2.0 Quattro. Can any pros please advise me on what to expect in terms of maintenance costs?

Are the horror stories on Audi true?

What's the FC like?

Cause I'm comparing between A5, A6 and 520, 528 of the same age. 528 is slightly above my budget so now drawing my attention to the A5 SB.

Love the look after changing to RS grill and rims.

Just sold my F30 316.

Thank you in advance!

Should be true.

A colleague bought one and had gearbox and engine issues (have to top up engine oil regularly).

Luckily still under warranty.

Fixed it & sold it off quickly and bought a Japanese car instead.

• Praise 1

So far all the horror stories I hear are from friend's friends etc but never really hear from someone else directly so thought of coming here to get more insights.

Neh.. bro you see the above. Haha

That said, I always loved the A5.. even though it's been here for awhile already. It just ages so gracefully with time. Loved the simple lines & aggressive stance.

• Praise 1

I'm actually driving an A5 coupe 2.0T MY2013. Clocked less than 10,000 km so far, but haven't encountered any issues so far except for some engine oil consumption (which is normal for the first 5000 km).

As with all A5s equiped with the S-tronic transmission (=DSG equivalent), you should expect some "jerkiness" in the car in the lower gears. Very apparent in our stop-start kind of traffic. But other than that, no major complaints :)

• Praise 1

I'm actually driving an A5 coupe 2.0T MY2013. Clocked less than 10,000 km so far, but haven't encountered any issues so far except for some engine oil consumption (which is normal for the first 5000 km).

As with all A5s equiped with the S-tronic transmission (=DSG equivalent), you should expect some "jerkiness" in the car in the lower gears. Very apparent in our stop-start kind of traffic. But other than that, no major complaints :)

Most DCTs behave in the same manner.. not major issue in my opinion.

The PDK in the current gen Boxster also a bit rough at lower speeds.

That said.. 10,000km in 3 years is damn low. I clock this mileage in 4 months ahha.

Thank you bro for the insights.

Cant find any good A5 on sgcarmart. GUess got to continue keeping a lookout

Multitronic = CVT

I don't think you can find it on A5 any variants since A5 is considered mid level in Audi range or slightly higher. You can find it in the older A4 1.8TFSI (B8).

S-Tronic = DSG transmission

Most of them are wet clutch so reliability shouldn't be a problem. But people tend to mix up Audi and VW easily and assume Audi is equally unreliable esp with its gearbox. I don't blame them. Also, the infamous VW dry 7 speed dual clutch transmission can be found in the current Audi range.. namely the A1 (correct me if I am wrong) and A3 sportback/sedan. 

So if I am looking for a model like A5 or A6, I wouldn't be too worried about the transmission  :D

That said.. BMW's ZF transmission or the Merc 7G-tronic (plus or no plus) also have minor reliability issues. See heng suay one.

Yes sir! Missing my ride everyday but I guess backside itchy haha

Wah bro so fast sold ride Liao

• Praise 1

Thank you bro for the insights.

Cant find any good A5 on sgcarmart. GUess got to continue keeping a lookout

Yes sir! Missing my ride everyday but I guess backside itchy haha

You looking for A5? Sell you mine lah haha

Need to change to a 4-dr car soon with the addition of a new family member

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Wouldn't the 5th door be a lot more helpful with say, prams?

Although of course the low height of the A5 could make it really unpleasant for child-seat mounting. Sat in one before. Feels so low.

• Praise 1

Although of course the low height of the A5 could make it really unpleasant for child-seat mounting. Sat in one before. Feels so low.

Aggressive looking yet with 4doors mah.. the lines of the A5 SB is very nice

The BMW 4series grancoupe is the same haha

4series got a wider stance den 3series.. looks nice. Interior is sama sama as 3series so quite boring la

After MAS lifted the loan restriction yesterday.. alot of used car prices all kaboom suddenly

• Praise 1

Personally, I like the lines of the coupe version more so than the sportback. If I need a regular car, I will probably just go for something like the A4 I suppose. But that's just me :)

Aggressive looking yet with 4doors mah.. the lines of the A5 SB is very nice

The BMW 4series grancoupe is the same haha

4series got a wider stance den 3series.. looks nice. Interior is sama sama as 3series so quite boring la

After MAS lifted the loan restriction yesterday.. alot of used car prices all kaboom suddenly

I love the 4 series.. coupe or gran coupe. Never fails to steal my heart away albeit temporarily whenever I spot one on the roads.. esp. the one in the blue color omg  :wub:

One day I'm gonna buy a M4 in that color *dreams*

Haha bro i need the a5 SB cause i too have a small family so need 4 doors.

Unless u sell me really cheap! Then i can let my wife keep our current camry and we have 2 cars wahaha

• Praise 1

Haha bro i need the a5 SB cause i too have a small family so need 4 doors.

Unless u sell me really cheap! Then i can let my wife keep our current camry and we have 2 cars wahaha

Bro QQ also got 4 doors haha