Audi A5 Sportback

Elviskoh

What is the difference between A5 sportback non quattro and quattro version? Just 4wd can make such a big difference in horsepower and price?

Their AWD can make more power? Haha....

If you are looking at the high hp version it's good to get the quattro (spread the high torque equally or biasly to all four wheels for better traction and to prevent torque steer). If entry model just get the non quattro coz it will be very ex to replace the quattro system should any happen.

Audi's quattro is overrated imo. Just go watch(Youtube) those RS model tackle the 'ring and watch them understeer like dunno what. Got quattro or no quattro the Audi cars will understeer when tackling corners. Difference is to just prevent torque steer and have better launch control for more powderful engines like the RS models. Entry model no need wan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpLzx9Z8Puw

In the wet it isn't all that awesome either. The understeer is more evident here. Wheels turned but the car doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=AmQAUJmvoBc

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

(edited)

Latest A5 sportback 2.0 promo i got is $199k with $12k overtrade. Havent started to negotiate yet. Has anyone been able to get a better deal. Kindly share thx!  [bounce2]  

Edited by labixiaoxinsg

Neutral Newbie

Latest A5 sportback 2.0 promo i got is $199k with $12k overtrade. Havent started to negotiate yet. Has anyone been able to get a better deal. Kindly share thx! [bounce2]

Any update on promo?

(edited)

Actually prices for the a5 is really attractive now.. few yrs back where got a5 going for below 200k wan..

Can consider the fwd wan if u dont need higher hp n quattro.

Just slap a nice bodykit and rims.. good to roll

And the FC is just amazing.. friends told me can go 700+ km on 1 full tank

Edited by Rayoflight
  • Praise 1

Happened to see 2 brand new A5's side by side on Farrer turning into Dunearn yesterday evening.  Both black, both brand new with SMA 7**** plates.  Both with sweeping indicators on. Very the swee! 

any advice on getting a 5 year old A5 SB? It is the 2.0L quattro version. Finances wise are okay and I am just concerned about any hidden problems or servicing costs.

Went to take a look at the A5.  The "cheapest" A5 is the 2L version without quattro at $190K!!!   Does it make sense to buy a quattro-less Audi at 200K???  I mean, people buy Audi for the quattro right?  SE says Singapore day-to-day driving no need quattro.  Even their A6, A7 don't have quattro.

(edited)

Went to take a look at the A5. The "cheapest" A5 is the 2L version without quattro at $190K!!! Does it make sense to buy a quattro-less Audi at 200K??? I mean, people buy Audi for the quattro right? SE says Singapore day-to-day driving no need quattro. Even their A6, A7 don't have quattro.

I think it makes sense to a lot of A3 and A4 quattro-less drivers on the road.

Different strokes for different folks.

Car prices based on OMV, COE and dealer's margin. High OMV = high prices. Dealer's margin already about 35k for the A4, A5 is definitely more.

Edited by Lotr

Had the first gen A5 and quattro consumes more petrol. As for the saying that the drive is more engaging etc, it does not matter to me - rear wheel, front wheel, quattro not much difference IMO.

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

Went to take a look at the A5.  The "cheapest" A5 is the 2L version without quattro at $190K!!!   Does it make sense to buy a quattro-less Audi at 200K???  I mean, people buy Audi for the quattro right?  SE says Singapore day-to-day driving no need quattro.  Even their A6, A7 don't have quattro.

• Praise 3

Had the first gen A5 and quattro consumes more petrol. As for the saying that the drive is more engaging etc, it does not matter to me - rear wheel, front wheel, quattro not much difference IMO.

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

saw online that a6 is having a promo, selling at 186k, cheaper than a5??

clearing stock before the new model?

saw online that a6 is having a promo, selling at 186k, cheaper than a5??

clearing stock before the new model?

Yea new model already announced.

Currently Audi AG only announced the 3.0L hybrid A6.

I suspect PA waiting for the 2.0L hybrid before starting sales of 2019 A6 in SG

Went to take a look at the A5. The "cheapest" A5 is the 2L version without quattro at $190K!!! Does it make sense to buy a quattro-less Audi at 200K??? I mean, people buy Audi for the quattro right? SE says Singapore day-to-day driving no need quattro. Even their A6, A7 don't have quattro.

Want Quattro means big hole in pocket

what's so great about quattro? how is it different from AWD from subaru?

I have nv driven an AWD, to be frank

what's so great about quattro? how is it different from AWD from subaru?

I have nv driven an AWD, to be frank

Actually the main different between Quattro vs Symmetrical All Wheel Drive is the fact that's the SAWD has a lower CG due to its flat 4 mounted lower

In terms of layout both are longitudinally mounted engine with permanent AWD

Audi Quattro has 2 type, I am only referring to the torsen version ( which I personally feel is the true quattro)

The haldex system are the ones which you see on TT, Q3, A3, VW, Skoda, and Volvo. It is a electrical system compared to the torsen which is a mechanical system

• Praise 1

Actually the main different between Quattro vs Symmetrical All Wheel Drive is the fact that's the SAWD has a lower CG due to its flat 4 mounted lower

In terms of layout both are longitudinally mounted engine with permanent AWD

Audi Quattro has 2 type, I am only referring to the torsen version ( which I personally feel is the true quattro)

The haldex system are the ones which you see on TT, Q3, A3, VW, Skoda, and Volvo. It is a electrical system compared to the torsen which is a mechanical system

To add on to my previous post,

All Wheel Drive system is not built for going off-roading.

For vehicles like Defender and Jeep wrangler, they use a 4 wheel drive system. 

AWD is not the same as 4WD 

To add on to my previous post,

All Wheel Drive system is not built for going off-roading.

For vehicles like Defender and Jeep wrangler, they use a 4 wheel drive system.

AWD is not the same as 4WD

Really?

Supersonic
What’s the difference between 4WD and AWD?

https://www.motoring.com.au/what-is-the-difference-between-4wd-and-awd-7530/

Subaru_symmetricalAWD-r47a.jpg?height=42

Four-wheel drive is not all-wheel drive. Here's why

The popularity of four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles has boomed in the last decade.

Most mainstream manufacturers have released ‘crossover’ vehicles to take advantage of the public’s obsession with SUVs, but it’s not just traditional SUV and 4×4 vehicles that have contributed to the boom.

More and more cars have been offering all-wheel drive drivetrains, from high-performance sports cars to luxury sedans and family-oriented people-movers.

But why do manufacturers use different terms? Isn’t four-wheel drive (4WD) and all-wheel drive (AWD) the same thing? Let’s have a look at the different terms in use and what each of them should mean.

Although each manufacturer tends to use its own name for its chassis systems for branding reasons, we are generally able to separate 4WD/AWD drivetrains into three basic groups: full-time 4WD, part-time 4WD and all-wheel drive.

Each system is different in terms of how and when torque is supplied to each wheel, so it’s important to choose the correct system for your typical vehicle use.

Full-time 4WD operates as the name suggests. At all times torque is supplied to all four wheels, all of the time. The driver usually has several options available to them which affect the operation of the drivetrain depending on the conditions that are encountered.

In normal operation (such as driving on a bitumen surface) the front and rear axles are split by a differential which allows them to operate at different speeds when required — for example, when cornering.

In most vehicles there will be the option of ‘diff lock’. This locks up the centre differential and restricts any rotational difference between the front and rear axles. It’s a feature that is commonly used when off-roading to gain maximum traction.

There may also be the option of ‘low range’. Usually used in extreme off-road conditions and on steep inclines, this changes the gearing of the drivetrain to provide a torque multiplying effect similar to the lowest gearing on a mountain bike.

Part-time 4WD is the original 4WD system and the most basic.

As with full-time 4WD there are several options available to the driver. In normal conditions the vehicle is driven in two-wheel drive, usually powering only the rear wheels. 4WD mode can be selected either by a separate mechanical lever or by an electronic switching system.

When 4WD is selected, torque is split evenly between the four wheels.

Part-time 4WD vehicles tend not to have differentials between the front and rear axles. This limits the use of 4WD to off-road use because use of this feature on bitumen surfaces (where tyres have good traction) can cause excess stress and damage to the drivetrain (often called wind-up).

Most vehicles of this type have the option of ‘low range’ for extreme off-road conditions.

All-wheel drive is in some ways similar to the full-time 4WD system in that it also sends torque to all four wheels constantly.

However, most modern AWD systems don’t offer drivers the option to operate in two-wheel drive and, unlike the 4WD systems, the differential between the front and rear axles cannot be locked.

The differentials do, however, have ability to limit slippage between the axles if a low traction situation is encountered.

For example, some high-tech performance AWD systems can direct up to 100 per cent of torque to the front or rear axle depending on conditions (think Porsche 911 Turbo).

Meantime, some AWD systems are essentially only part-time, driving only the front wheels until traction loss is sensed and torque is automatically directed to the rear wheels (think Honda CR-V).

Usually this ability is provided with a differential known as a viscous coupling or multi-plate clutch, although more recently a similar outcome has been achieved by using electronically-controlled hydraulic or electro-magnetic ‘clutch’ systems.

AWD systems also lack the ‘low range’ feature which is common in most 4WDs, like a LandCruiser, and are  less effective and more fragile than 4WD systems in situations where high torque is required.

Indeed, most AWD systems simply cannot satisfy high-torque demands when the vehicle is off-road, therefore AWD vehicles tend to be more ‘car-like’ or ‘crossover’ wagon style than obvious off-roaders like the Ford Everest.

That said, many car-based ‘SUVs’ are now also available in cheaper front-drive form and indeed some are produced only in 2WD guise, like the Ford EcoSport.

Given the capability of most modern (and now mandatory) electronic control systems, if you’re buying such a vehicle as a higher-riding, more practical substitute for a small hatch or family wagon, then save your money and don’t pay more to buy, run and maintain an all-wheel drive.

If you need the extra traction of AWD for slippery or loose unsealed roads where extra ground clearance doesn’t suffice, chances are the greater cost will be offset by the benefits of all-wheel drive.

But choose only four-wheel drive – as fitted to the ute-based Everest, Toyota Fortuner, Holden Trailblazer, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and Isuzu MU-X – if you plan on heading well away from the beaten track.

MitsubishiPajero_DualRange-asem.jpg?heig

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1