Car Remote Control Key - Any lobang

Kopitam

My car remote battery died again today. Less than a month of the above posting. I purposely bought two Maxwell brand, Japanese brand battery and noted down the date of change.

I think I got a lemon car remote.

IMG_20170116_091524.jpg

IMG_20170116_091609.jpg

Possible to open up the key itself? Have a look inside whether the motherboard is clean and the button rubber are in good condition..
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My remote battery lasts for 9 years already and still going strong!

I just changed battery on the 11th Feb again. This time I chose Energizer battery. Hope it will last.

Its like clock work, monthly, the battery will die and have to manually start car and open car door with key.

Possible to open up the key itself? Have a look inside whether the motherboard is clean and the button rubber are in good condition..

Car still under warranty, I wouldnt want to do that. Will be asking the SA to check when I send the car in for servicing. I always have a spare battery in the car now.

I just changed battery on the 11th Feb again. This time I chose Energizer battery. Hope it will last.

Its like clock work, monthly, the battery will die and have to manually start car and open car door with key.

Both key fob also like that?

Only one. Didnt use the other.

It is good practise to rotate both fobs. 

Try the other fobs & see whether got issue or not.

I rotate key fob once a mth.

• Praise 1

It is good practise to rotate both fobs. 

Try the other fobs & see whether got issue or not.

I rotate key fob once a mth.

But car settings tied to current key fob. [grin]  Will ask AD to check my key fob.

But car settings tied to current key fob. [grin]  Will ask AD to check my key fob.

Since you are the only person using the car, only set it once & for all.

I did that too.

Went to AD and asked them to check my key fob why am I changing battery every month. They changed a brand new battery for me foc and asked me to monitor. Once battery flat, pass it to them to check. If really is key fob problem, they will change a set of key fob for me. They say they cannot do anything from their end and would have to send the key fob back to Germany principle to check. So they want to make sure that even their AD provided battery also cannot last more than a month.

I asked around in VAGSG whatsapp group and all told me theirs last more than 1 year. Dont know why mine every month need to change battery.

P.S even AD battery also made in china. :a-fun: Not made in germany? [:(]

post-2654-0-11806800-1488326248_thumb.jpg

Turbocharged

One of my car remote control key got chewed up by my 3 chinchillas early in the morning when we forgottern to close their cage

went down to vivocity, basement key kiosk, philipino lady told me the cost is about $800-900 for one key

I almost peng san (actually heart attack)

isnt it really too expensive for a key when you think about it you can buy a net book for $500-600 with cash to spare

how much electronics is there in the key

daylight robbery

any lobang for replacement key, thanks

A remote key for a Mercedes Benz costs almost $1,000.

A similar one costs just $100 for a typical bread and butter Japanese car. 

A car's Daytime Running Lights costs several hundreds to replace. 

A conventional halogen bulb that serves the same function costs just $20.

That's why I never liked these fanciful technologies and "wants"  in a car. 

• Praise 1

My remote battery lasts for 9 years already and still going strong!

I renewed COE last Jan. Installed a 2-way remote just after i collected the car when new. It came with 2 remotes: i big one with LCD screen, which uses AAA batt. The other is small remote with presumably button batt.

In the first maybe 2-3 yr, we only used the big remote. Later on, used the small remote occasionally. In the last 3 yr, had used the small remote a lot, as the large one sometimes doesn't work (not sure whether it's batt problem - we use rechargeable batt).

So 11 yr+, it's still working and we haven't changed the batt yet. Hope it lasts forever  [laugh]

Turbocharged
(edited)

I asked around in VAGSG whatsapp group and all told me theirs last more than 1 year. Dont know why mine every month need to change battery.

attachicon.gifA6 Key Fob battery.jpg

VW wheelcaps are made in China too, and mine faded.  <_<

Not surprised if several non mechanical parts are sourced from China too, which is not an issue with me, but the thing is they are not built to last.

post-27974-0-03447900-1488329234_thumb.jpg

post-27974-0-14159400-1488329239_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinceng

I renewed COE last Jan. Installed a 2-way remote just after i collected the car when new. It came with 2 remotes: i big one with LCD screen, which uses AAA batt. The other is small remote with presumably button batt.

In the first maybe 2-3 yr, we only used the big remote. Later on, used the small remote occasionally. In the last 3 yr, had used the small remote a lot, as the large one sometimes doesn't work (not sure whether it's batt problem - we use rechargeable batt).

So 11 yr+, it's still working and we haven't changed the batt yet. Hope it lasts forever  [laugh]

Some times when the indicator light became faint and it refused to work, I opened it up and cleaned it with cotton bud and some tape head cleaning solution (spirit also can) and the remote became like new again!

I am just thinking how nice if our car battery can last this loooooooong!:D

Went to AD and asked them to check my key fob why am I changing battery every month. They changed a brand new battery for me foc and asked me to monitor. Once battery flat, pass it to them to check. If really is key fob problem, they will change a set of key fob for me. They say they cannot do anything from their end and would have to send the key fob back to Germany principle to check. So they want to make sure that even their AD provided battery also cannot last more than a month.

attachicon.gifA6 Key Fob battery.jpg

Just after one month, the ORIGINAL battery fitted by AD starting to get weak liao. No light indication when lock/unlock car. This morning, still can unlock car but cannot start car. Need to use back-up method. Wait till cannot unlock car then I will call AD up. Why my key fob is eating battery???

post-2654-0-92269200-1491441702_thumb.jpg

Just after one month, the ORIGINAL battery fitted by AD starting to get weak liao. No light indication when lock/unlock car. This morning, still can unlock car but cannot start car. Need to use back-up method. Wait till cannot unlock car then I will call AD up. Why my key fob is eating battery???

attachicon.gifA6 Key Fob.jpg

If you keep the keys in your pocket when you go about your daily business, there is a chance that the buttons are being depress while in your pocket, so the battery drains quickly.

• Praise 1

If you keep the keys in your pocket when you go about your daily business, there is a chance that the buttons are being depress while in your pocket, so the battery drains quickly.

I now think it's the key fob faulty. Cos i using my spare key fob now and it performs much better than the first key fob.

1. The range of the previous key fob was lousy. Need to stand next to car then can unlock n lock the car. Spare key fob able to unlock car 50m away from car.

2. The previous key fob able to open the tailgate remotely but not able to close it remotely. The spare key fob able to open and close the tailgate remotely.

Anyway, previous key fob now with AD. It has nothing to do with the key fob in the pocket being depressed.

• Praise 1

I hear good news from my AD's SA. They ordered a brand new key fob for me which will arrive within two weeks. My SA told me within these two weeks, the key fob battery voltage dropped to below 3V just sitting in his drawer. So he checked with his manager and they decided to replace my key fob with a brand new one FOC.

So confirm its key fob problem, its sucking battery juice like no other key fobs. Nothing to do with how you use it, the circuit must have been malfunction to keep sucking battery power even when left untouched for two weeks.

I hear good news from my AD's SA. They ordered a brand new key fob for me which will arrive within two weeks. My SA told me within these two weeks, the key fob battery voltage dropped to below 3V just sitting in his drawer. So he checked with his manager and they decided to replace my key fob with a brand new one FOC.

So confirm its key fob problem, its sucking battery juice like no other key fobs. Nothing to do with how you use it, the circuit must have been malfunction to keep sucking battery power even when left untouched for two weeks.

you never ask your SA why he leave the key in his drawer for 2 weeks and do nothing?

you never ask your SA why he leave the key in his drawer for 2 weeks and do nothing?

He monitoring the battery voltage, I guess.

Brand new battery was 3.3V. He measured in front of me when he replaced the battery. The ORIGINAL battery that went flat when I passed to him, he measured in front of me was only 2.6V after one month. So after two weeks, I think he measuring it and monitoring it at his end, he called to tell me they would change my key fob.

After just barely two weeks a new battery of 3.3V dropped to below 3.0V without any usage. Isnt it weird? Normally after some time if no activity, the key fob would go into battery conservation mode. But mine did not.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1