Xusadnoh

Which would you choose.........  

210 members have voted

1. 1. if given a choice..........

• C180
    • 320i
    • A4

Neutral Newbie

For that kind of price , A4 is still front wheel drive?

Top of the range A4(3.2L FSI Quattro) is an AWD......

↡ Advertisement

At that price range, I'd take an RWD for better handling.

That drops off A4 (an FWD) early in the game. Besides, I don't like Audi's electro-mechanical power steering feel.

Between the 2 RWDs left, I would think the 320i handles better than the C180. The BMW's hydraulic power steering feels more meatier also.

But the current supercharged 1.6L BlueEfficiency engine (next batch will be turbo-charged, as I understand it) feels more 'lively' than the staid 2L BMW NA engine. Both are 4-pot engines. Thus for a lower road tax, the C180 makes better sense with a sharper engine.

C180 made in Germany, while 320i made in Africa.

Interior quality and 'slam door' test puts C180 a notch better than the Beemer.

So my choice will be the Mercedes Benz C180.

If its 325i vs C200, I will take the 325i.

If its C280 vs 325i, I will take the C280.

Edited by Astrid

Majority of car buyers buy a car for how it looks, ... the rest is a compromise.

That's why the resale price of A4 is high because demand is very high.

Having said that, the A4 is the largest car of the 3, the most powerful of the 3, yet has the lowest OMV of the 3, but price is the highest of the 3.

Its overall package is impeccable.... that's why so many people like the car.

Depending on what one wants in a car, the 3er drives well, and has high OMV. The C180K has clever aerodynamics (lowest drag coefficient 0.25), low running cost/consumption, and has the most comfortable ride of the 3, while handles really well too.

its really a personal choice.

At that price range, I'd take an RWD for better handling.

That drops off A4 (an FWD) early in the game. Besides, I don't like Audi's electro-mechanical power steering feel.

Between the 2 RWDs left, I would think the 320i handles better than the C180. The BMW's hydraulic power steering feels more meatier also.

But the current supercharged 1.6L BlueEfficiency engine (next batch will be turbo-charged, as I understand it) feels more 'lively' than the staid 2L BMW NA engine. Both are 4-pot engines. Thus for a lower road tax, the C180 makes better sense with a sharper engine.

C180 made in Germany, while 320i made in Africa.

Interior quality and 'slam door' test puts C180 a notch better than the Beemer.

So my choice will be the Mercedes Benz C180.

If its 325i vs C200, I will take the 325i.

If its C280 vs 325i, I will take the C280.

You are right.... newer models coming in will be C180 CGI, C200 CGI and C250 CGI (all are new 1.8 T direct injection units from the E class) Blue Efficiency. And probably comes with DRL (daylight running LEDs).

320i for me, test driven the 320i and the C180BE (1.6L), i like the way the 320 handles and the weighted steering is great... sure enuff the 320i doesnt have a LCD screen if u discount the OEM stuck-on GPS but i like the styling and the more i look at it between the C-class and the 3er, the better the 3er looks and somewhat i suspect will stand the test of time more. Furthermore i just cannot stand the look of the C180/200 steering wheel. Budget permits it will definitely be a 325i. At a disadvantage is the 320i will be in a higher road tax bracket compared to the other two.

320i

1) Performance - 8/10 - 150hp/200Nm is good enuff for me

2) Handling - 9/10

3) Comfort - 8/10

4) Looks/Styling (Exterior & Interior) - 8/10 for exterior, interior is nothing to shout about but it just feels functional and well build

5) Built quality - 8/10

6) Equipment level - 7/10 - has iphone/ipod + OEM GPS and it actually has full electr. seats and bi-xenon which C180BE comes only as option

C180BE

1) Performance - 8/10 - 156hp/230Nm is good enuff for me so you can see it is not that big a diff although SC may have more after market "boost" options

2) Handling - 7/10

3) Comfort - 8/10

4) Looks/Styling (Exterior & Interior) - 7/10 for exterior starting to look tired, well build interior and is more comfy than the 320i IMO

5) Built quality - 8/10

6) Equipment level - 7/10 - has iphone/ipod + no GPS and not full electr. seats and halogen lamps

keke i drive c200 so of course c-class la.

anyway they're right about after market mods. if you're garang enough an M271 C200 engine can go all the way to 280bhp...

Neutral Newbie

hi,

Sorry for hijacking ur post as I cant start new post.. :)

Do you all happen to have a photo of C204 Mercedes Sedan? I have the model car but cant find the pics online.. thanks :)

oh no another which-car-do-you-prefer poll /thread.

anyway, i pick Audi A4

Why so? will want to know from a die hard BMW driver. [:p]

So will you change your BMW to A4??

hi,

Sorry for hijacking ur post as I cant start new post.. :)

Do you all happen to have a photo of C204 Mercedes Sedan? I have the model car but cant find the pics online.. thanks :)

W204?

go to www.sgmerc.com/forum

have alot

A4 is pretty nice outside i have to admit. plus the LEDs la. but the handling is... not very good. then CVT gearbox /Multi-tronic also spoils the deal...

the interior isnt classy very plasticky and messy.

but the LEDs really :wub::wub:

Actually for the C-Class, one needs to go to at least the C280, with the Enhanced Agility Package coupled with the 'Sport' button.

That button hydraullically resets the suspension settings and stiffens them, and also switches the ECU to drag the RPMs longer on each gear change. Even the power-assist of the hydraulic power steering is heavied up significantly. The whole engine note changes from sheep to wolf's clothing. There are actually two cars in one, each tuned very differently from the other.

In addition, the 7-speed 7G-Tronic (Daimler Benz's in-house developed and manufactured transmission gear box) is only available from the C280 upwards. The 5-speed auto tranny of the C200 and C180 are no compare.

Handling wise, this mode does put the C280 on par with its BMW 3-er equivalent.

And the C280 (0-100 in 7 secs) can and will out-race the 325i ... even matching up a Golf GTi up close.

A4? FWD? No lah. Worse, if it comes with CVT (Multitronic).

Need at least the 3.2 quattro to 'good'.

Edited by W210k

test drove the A4 very recently, so sad ended up have to drop it from the list because due to weak handling and dull steering. the exterior is very captivating, but i can't say the same for the driving sense and interior.

the second best car in this line up would be 3series in my opinion. that engaging drive and slightly dated exterior (okay, to some is very dated, but who ask me to be a bmw-fanboy ^^) is enough for me.

so i chose the c180, although if i were to get one, i'd probably get a c200 or higher. handling and drive is better than A4 (by alot), style is definitive but i gotta say this, certain mercedes benz cars age very well with time.. like the CLS. still look sexy after awhile. but c-class.. nope. ages too quickly. sometimes i look at the rear lamps and i think to myself, it looks like a design that has been out for years and years already.

↡ Advertisement