C180 vs 320i vs A4

Xusadnoh

Which would you choose.........  

210 members have voted

1. 1. if given a choice..........

• C180
    • 320i
    • A4

Handling wise, this mode does put the C280 on par with its BMW 3-er equivalent.

And the C280 (0-100 in 7 secs) can and will out-race the 325i ... even matching up a Golf GTi up close.

the 3er equivalent of C280 (3.0L V6) will be the 330i which is not available from PML. I believe the new model designation for the BMW NA 3L inline 6 will be 328i and 528i?

323i/325i must be compared to the C230 (2.5L), in which case the 325i will be faster to 100km/h.

Mercs have always been a lot heavier than equivalent model BMW, hence the slower speed.

Edited by Viceroymenthol
↡ Advertisement

That's the RS4?

Price way out of the range :wacko:

A4 3.2 quattro is hardly the RS4.

anyway there is no B8 RS4, but the previous one (B7) was a NA 4.2L V8 FSI (fuel stratified injection) producing over 400bhp..

323i/325i must be compared to the C230 (2.5L), in which case the 325i will be faster to 100km/h.

C230 is no longer carried by C&C in SG anymore. The next step down is the C200 (1.8L 4-pot, SC), not comparable with the 325i.

So can only compare C280 with 325i for an intended purchase made here - thus the intent of my post.

Did not bring 335i into the picture also, since it is TC'd.

Thus for what you can buy here in SG, below $200K, the C280 will out-perform the 325i.

A4 dull handling? really?

as a sometime owner and driver of several different BMW, Merc and Audi models, i do not think the B8 A4 is dull handling for a FWD car. but hey, what do i know... the experts here apparently think otherwise so i think you should listen to them.

Actually for the C-Class, one needs to go to at least the C280, with the Enhanced Agility Package coupled with the 'Sport' button.

That button hydraullically resets the suspension settings and stiffens them, and also switches the ECU to drag the RPMs longer on each gear change. Even the power-assist of the hydraulic power steering is heavied up significantly. The whole engine note changes from sheep to wolf's clothing. There are actually two cars in one, each tuned very differently from the other.

In addition, the 7-speed 7G-Tronic (Daimler Benz's in-house developed and manufactured transmission gear box) is only available from the C280 upwards. The 5-speed auto tranny of the C200 and C180 are no compare.

Handling wise, this mode does put the C280 on par with its BMW 3-er equivalent.

And the C280 (0-100 in 7 secs) can and will out-race the 325i ... even matching up a Golf GTi up close.

A4? FWD? No lah. Worse, if it comes with CVT (Multitronic).

Need at least the 3.2 quattro to 'good'.

thats the advance agility package which can be optioned for c180/c200 too!

how bout the normal agility package? it has the sport mode too.

as a sometime owner and driver of several different BMW, Merc and Audi models, i do not think the B8 A4 is dull handling for a FWD car. but hey, what do i know... the experts here apparently think otherwise so i think you should listen to them.

a4 is fwd will still have torque steer which isnt good for tracking

Edited by Cerano

test drove the A4 very recently, so sad ended up have to drop it from the list because due to weak handling and dull steering. the exterior is very captivating, but i can't say the same for the driving sense and interior.

the second best car in this line up would be 3series in my opinion. that engaging drive and slightly dated exterior (okay, to some is very dated, but who ask me to be a bmw-fanboy ^^) is enough for me.

so i chose the c180, although if i were to get one, i'd probably get a c200 or higher. handling and drive is better than A4 (by alot), style is definitive but i gotta say this, certain mercedes benz cars age very well with time.. like the CLS. still look sexy after awhile. but c-class.. nope. ages too quickly. sometimes i look at the rear lamps and i think to myself, it looks like a design that has been out for years and years already.

wah i find the look very modern leh. the way the crease runs down the side and the bulbous rear. better than the sonata-like rear lights im sure!

If you park the 3 cars together at Posh Hotel lobby front.

Which car exudes class ?

Merc C180

BMW320i

Audi A4

I think BMW still looks classier...

BMW and Merc too common i guess bro

when they first launched the new A4, it only came in 1.8Turbo 160bhp and 3.2V6 265bhp...

but because the 1.8Turbo had multi-tronic (Audi's CVT), people who testdrove it found it really dull and lack of power...hence Audi now bring in the 2.0Turbo 211bhp 7S-Tronic (using VW GTi engine with 7DSG-like gearbox)...

the 3.2V6 has since been phased out and replaced by the 3.0Supercharged V6 called the S4...it produces 333bhp...and mated to 7S-Tronic...

only the A5 and A5 sportback have the 3.2V6 265bhp engine with 6DSG only...it'll soon be phased out and replaced with the S4 3.0Supercharged V6 too...

so anyone test the 2.0Turbo A4 yet??

and the C180BE is using a 1.6Turbocharged 156bhp mated to previous gen 5A/T...C230V6 has been replaced by the coming C250CGI(as found in E250CGI) with 204bhp but still using the old 5A/T transmission...

based on performance alone, the 3-series cannot compare...you gotta get a 2.5L in-line6 engine only to compete on performance with the A4 2.0T and C250CGI...

Why so? will want to know from a die hard BMW driver. [:p]

So will you change your BMW to A4??

first thing first.

I am not die hard BMW driver/fan

secondly, the choice is amongst these 3. if it's amongst some others, i may not choose Audi.

Lastly, you are asking someone driving a 630i if he would change to an A4?

hhmmm....maybe you should ask someone with the A4 if he would change to a Toyota Corolla.

Neutral Newbie

It will be interesting to check out these ride:

Audi A4 2.0 Turbo (211bhp)

C250 CGI 1.8 Turbo (204bhp)

BMW 325 (218bhp)

Road Tax wise Benz is the best 1.8 only [:p]

Turbo car has more potential for MOD :)

But I think handling wise is still BMW.