Replacing a watch battery - it pays to check

Hensony

Today, I learnt that it is imperative we check the battery that is sold to us when we have the battery of our precious watches replaced.

Out of convenience, Wifey had the battery for her Omega watch changed less than six months ago at White Sands SC, which cost her $25. Over the weekend, the watch died on her. Our first thought was that an inferior battery was used. But our main worry was that the malfunction could be due to faulty mechanism. To allay our worries, we brought it to a watch shop in Loyang Point. I trust the proprietor because my Tag Heuer's battery was replaced by him more than a year ago and the watch is still working fine. It was at the shop I learnt something disturbing.

The guy removed the battery and showed me that it had leaked, staining part of the internal component. He said he would try his best to remove the leakage from the watch, hoping that the acid had not corroded the mechanism. Much to our relief, he was able to get the watch working again with a new battery. Phew!

It seemed that the watch shop at White Sands is not the only unethical shop. I learnt from him that some watch shops in Tampines Central charge customers for a premium battery when the actual battery is of Japan origin, which typically cost only $5. Some are even more unscrupulous, to the extent of using those made in China. I wonder how prevalent is this practice in Singapore.

So, it pays to be cynical sometimes. Where our watches are concerned, we should inspect the battery before it is inserted into our beloved watches.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Today, I learnt that it is imperative we check the battery that is sold to us when we have the battery of our precious watches replaced.

Out of convenience, Wifey had the battery for her Omega watch changed less than six months ago at White Sands SC, which cost her $25. Over the weekend, the watch died on her. Our first thought was that an inferior battery was used. But our main worry was that the malfunction could be due to faulty mechanism. To allay our worries, we brought it to a watch shop in Loyang Point. I trust the proprietor because my Tag Heuer's battery was replaced by him more than a year ago and the watch is still working fine. It was at the shop I learnt something disturbing.

The guy removed the battery and showed me that it had leaked, staining part of the internal component. He said he would try his best to remove the leakage from the watch, hoping that the acid had not corroded the mechanism. Much to our relief, he was able to get the watch working again with a new battery. Phew!

It seemed that the watch shop at White Sands is not the only unethical shop. I learnt from him that some watch shops in Tampines Central charge customers for a premium battery when the actual battery is of Japan origin, which typically cost only $5. Some are even more unscrupulous, to the extent of using those made in China. I wonder how prevalent is this practice in Singapore.

So, it pays to be cynical sometimes. Where our watches are concerned, we should inspect the battery before it is inserted into our beloved watches.

Bro, I rather spend a bit more to do it at AD for watches like Omega or Tag. Unless the shop is really reliable like the one you mentioned. Even for my G shock, I changed batt at AD, who will test for water resistance as well. Still beating fine after 15 years.

dont have bery good impression of this shop as well

Bring down to Burlington Sq (opp Sim Lim Sq).

There's a number of watch shops there and so far no issues with them when coming to battery change.

Have been going there for new watches and repairs since the past decade.

Good infor Bro! [thumbsup]

For a watch like Omega or TH, you should probably go back to the AD. Very few shops will do proper waterproofing after battery change. If water gets in, surely it won't last and corrodes the internals.

And yes, it also pays great dividend to ask for the battery price before agreeing to change.

I thought the price is always standard at $5~$6, so I passed my watch to this uncle whose watch shop is located in Bras Basah Complex ground floor facing McDonalds. He charged double.

I always check the battery and it's packaging before the battery gets changed.

And always keep an eye on what they are doing becos they may pull a fast one and switch batteries. [;)]

Supercharged

ALWAYS bring to AD. I always do that.

The benefits of AD is that you pay for their service where they clean and check your watch properly. That's where the price premium goes to.

You get what you pay for. For branded watches, it always better to bring to AD.

I got a TH watch where i always bring it to AD for battery changing. Ppl always tells me why pay more, can save $$ by brining to small shops.....

They forgot what the AD will do besides just plainly changing batteries.....

TH watch already costs couple of few thousands dollars..... come on, what's the point of saving that few dollars on battery change?

One authentic good battery can last for couple to few years already... save wat money? You take the savings $$ and divide by the number of days the good battery can last? how much is it each day???

Penny wise, pound foolish....

I dun trust that small shops, unless my watch is low class brand.

But of coz there are some good small shops around. depends on your luck.

i got this experience with a small shop, changing battery for my SAF watch... i think its a Victorianx watch... pardon my spelling....

We all know that its a Swiss watch. the guy told me the different prices for different battery... japan $5-$6. swiss battery $8-$10.

he actually told me the SAF watch needs Swiss battery coz its a Swiss watch. but at tat time, i just wan to save $$, coz its just a bloody SAF watch..... i can afford to spoilt it anyway.....

I told him use Japan battery. He told me if the watch stops working within a month, come bk to him so that he will change to Swiss battery.

This is a honest shop.

True enough, my SAF watch stopped working within a week!! I went bk and he just changed to Swiss battery, and i just top up the $$ difference. He was so confident that the Japan battery wouldn't last long.

And the swiss battery is still ticking away since one year ago.......

• Praise 1

Bro, that's why if i inspect my watch am able to open the casing myself, I will take the "dead" battery out and go watch shop buy new battery that comes still nicely wrapped.

New battery cost $5-$10 each in housing estate shops whereas those shopping centre shops changing for you charge easily in excess of $20, factoring in labour, service charge etc. But i do have a watch that needs special tools to open, so bo bian, but i only go my regular shop that charged less than $15 everything in.

Tag Heuer dealer even more takgong. They don't call it change battery only. They convince you to do "watch servicing" and that includes change battery and "internal grooming." $200+ per watch servicing - similar to cars. :D

Why not get an automatic watch.

i hate automatic watches. they stop every now and then if you dont wear it , and have to wind it. and sometimes the time is not accurate due to slow down. i will never buy another automatic watch.

I don't understand why u'll go such places to change battery.

Even for adjusting my Cartier strap I went back to ad

Convenience. That's the only reason I change my watch battery at a watch shop near my place. But then again, maybe because I'm lazy.... [laugh]

Bro, that's why if i inspect my watch am able to open the casing myself, I will take the "dead" battery out and go watch shop buy new battery that comes still nicely wrapped.

New battery cost $5-$10 each in housing estate shops whereas those shopping centre shops changing for you charge easily in excess of $20, factoring in labour, service charge etc. But i do have a watch that needs special tools to open, so bo bian, but i only go my regular shop that charged less than $15 everything in.

Tag Heuer dealer even more takgong. They don't call it change battery only. They convince you to do "watch servicing" and that includes change battery and "internal grooming." $200+ per watch servicing - similar to cars. :D

Agree totally with you on Tag Heuer dealer. I once sent my watch to remove a mould that grew on the internal glass surface of my watch. How it got in, I have absolutely no idea. The sale person highly recommended that I do a servicing as well. The cost came up to slightly more than $300. Wow!

The other thing about watch battery is that once it is dead, get it replaced as soon as possible otherwise it will leak and corrode the mechanism if you leave it in the watch for too long. It happened to my Longines watch and I was quoted about $150 to repair it. [:(]

↡ Advertisement