Replacing a watch battery - it pays to check

Hensony

Today, I learnt that it is imperative we check the battery that is sold to us when we have the battery of our precious watches replaced.

Out of convenience, Wifey had the battery for her Omega watch changed less than six months ago at White Sands SC, which cost her $25. Over the weekend, the watch died on her. Our first thought was that an inferior battery was used. But our main worry was that the malfunction could be due to faulty mechanism. To allay our worries, we brought it to a watch shop in Loyang Point. I trust the proprietor because my Tag Heuer's battery was replaced by him more than a year ago and the watch is still working fine. It was at the shop I learnt something disturbing.

The guy removed the battery and showed me that it had leaked, staining part of the internal component. He said he would try his best to remove the leakage from the watch, hoping that the acid had not corroded the mechanism. Much to our relief, he was able to get the watch working again with a new battery. Phew!

It seemed that the watch shop at White Sands is not the only unethical shop. I learnt from him that some watch shops in Tampines Central charge customers for a premium battery when the actual battery is of Japan origin, which typically cost only $5. Some are even more unscrupulous, to the extent of using those made in China. I wonder how prevalent is this practice in Singapore.

So, it pays to be cynical sometimes. Where our watches are concerned, we should inspect the battery before it is inserted into our beloved watches.

my dad used batteries from japan and you can see tat is it indeed sony made in japan... it costs only $5 for typical watches... unless some premium watches, they have original batteries made in swiss starting from $7... so i can say tat for $25, u hav to really check the source of the battery (as there is battery which costs tis much but of cos wif real source of origin)... my dad is certified technician to repair omega, rolex etc and they hav went on TV end of 2004 i tink... one of the forummers here went there to service her watch and gave me good feedbacks on my dad... [:)]

↡ Advertisement

haha .. $3oo no joke ! [:p]

Agree totally with you on Tag Heuer dealer. I once sent my watch to remove a mould that grew on the internal glass surface of my watch. How it got in, I have absolutely no idea. The sale person highly recommended that I do a servicing as well. The cost came up to slightly more than $300. Wow!

Edited by Alechi

why dun buy Kinetic watch? it is really no need to change battery?

i like metal strap watches but i hate it when the frame and straps scratch easily...thats why i dun buy expensive watch..the most Seiko.

i dont know why watch shop charge so expensively (except AD which provide outer aded service suh as re-calibration and etc)

the actual battery cost to them even the best is actually less than $3 because they get NOT retail price for the batteries.

Good profit margin.

Even AD, I also dun 100% trust.

I got a free battery change for my wife's Omega watch. Brought in to the AD, the counter staff told us there are some corrosion inside the watch. The watch need some servicing (~ $350) else the timing is not accurate. Come on, this is Quartz watch; either can move or cannot move where got no accurate. Unless Chonometer watch, may need servicing to be accurate.

We brought the watch to a reputable service centre near chinatown. They open up the casing and told us everything looks ok. Phew..

Haha ... for me the solution is very simple.

Only buy and wear mechanical watches (automatic, or manual).

No battery leak worries to contend with.

No annual battery replacements.

My Explorer's accuracy is about 1 minute lag, per every 3-4 months.

I kid you not!

That's how accurate the 'Superlative Chronometer' movement can be, if worn daily.

Agree totally with you on Tag Heuer dealer. I once sent my watch to remove a mould that grew on the internal glass surface of my watch. How it got in, I have absolutely no idea. The sale person highly recommended that I do a servicing as well. The cost came up to slightly more than $300. Wow!

Servicing for watch??

Change oil? I think just drip on drop if singer oil into the mechanical parts..

Change brake pad?change the waterproof gasket. Charge extra for parts.

Only buy and wear mechanical watches ( manual).

No battery leak worries to contend with.

No annual battery replacements.

Honestly speaking, can we still get a manual watch? I mean good brand. Any recommendation?

Sure!

Tudor's latest line has got manual and automatic versions.

Jaeger le Coultre's Reverso has got manual models also, in addition to automatic, as well as in quartz movement (believe it or not?).

And many other top names too ..... go visit the watch shops to learn more.

Hi bro,

care to share your G shock AD contact ?

I also need to change batt for my g shock watches.

TIA.

Bro, here is the address...

Address:210 Middle Road IOI Plaza

#10-04 Singapore 188994 Tel:+65 63383225 (Sales and Marketing)

Fax:+65 63383226

Email:[email protected]

Whatever brand you all buy, make sure their service center is in Singapore. I have to send a Sinn watch to Germany for servicing and it has being one and a half months since. [knife]

i dont know why watch shop charge so expensively (except AD which provide outer aded service suh as re-calibration and etc)

the actual battery cost to them even the best is actually less than $3 because they get NOT retail price for the batteries.

Good profit margin.

u muz noe wat u buy... if u dun even noe wat u are paying for dan too bad for u and stay carrot forever...

how do u noe normal watch shops dun do extra services for u?? it's juz tat u are only looking at the superficial parts; how u noe AD really got do all the additional services when u left ur watch there and left the place??? my dad does everyting in front of u except for servicings and major repair cos these take a lot of time but aft tat he will explain everyting to the customers, provided 6mths warranty for servicings and repairs done to the watches... u tell me lor...

it's the same as sending ur car back to AD but u did not get to see wat they hav done to ur car... [:|]

What about longines watch? Anyone can recommend where to change battery? I went to a watch shop at compass point and was quote 25.00 for replacement.

Mine longines watch is the cheapest classic model which sell 300 but paying 25.00 which is 8.5% on the battery is quite exp isn't?

Any recommendation?

Hypersonic

What about longines watch? Anyone can recommend where to change battery? I went to a watch shop at compass point and was quote 25.00 for replacement.

Mine longines watch is the cheapest classic model which sell 300 but paying 25.00 which is 8.5% on the battery is quite exp isn't?

Any recommendation?

try at those neighbourhood watch shops, should be around $8 onwards (depending on battery brand)

Supercharged

Any recommendation?

Whatever it is, don't get Japan or china batteries.

(edited)

It seemed that the watch shop at White Sands is not the only unethical shop. I learnt from him that some watch shops in Tampines Central charge customers for a premium battery when the actual battery is of Japan origin, which typically cost only $5. Some are even more unscrupulous, to the extent of using those made in China. I wonder how prevalent is this practice in Singapore.

So, it pays to be cynical sometimes. Where our watches are concerned, we should inspect the battery before it is inserted into our beloved watches.

There is only one battery supplier in Switzerland called Renata, owned by Swatch Co. Though every Swiss watches use Renata battery, but they are not the best battery. According to a certified ETA watch technician from Australia, the best batteries are actually those Japanese batteries, made by Maxell or Seiko, because they leak less often than Renata.

renata-logoheader.jpg

http://www.renata.com/cms/

If the guy at the watch shop tells you that Renata are premium batteries and Swiss watches should only use Swiss batteries for better performance and not Jap batteries, may be you should check this battery chart.

http://www.watch-batteries.com/silver_oxid...rence_chart.htm

For example, a Renata 301 = Maxell SR43SW = Seiko SB-A8

I've installed Maxell and Seiko batteries into my Tissot, Swiss Army, Omega and Montblanc watches, and they are just as reliable but at half the price, $25 (Swiss) vs $8-12(Jap)

I love Swiss watches for their design, but when it comes to batteries, my vote goes to Maxell or Seiko.

Edited by Billcoke
↡ Advertisement