Replacing a watch battery - it pays to check

Hensony

Turbocharged

Japanese watches like Casio easiest to DIY. Next time DIY, $1 only. Cell Battery also easy, most brands also OK unlike conti watches very mafan de. You use wrong brand battery, gone case. Some need to do shorting to reset. [thumbsdown]

Or buy solar or Citizen Eco drive. 20 years lifespan before u need to change battery / capacitor.

If can DIY, I will also DIY. But the thing is, most of us don't have the special tools to open up the watch. Even after buying the tools, use once, then keep for several years, then forget where you put.

I felt cheated after reading this thread. Yesterday, changed my G-Shock battery for $15 at Clementi Mall. There is a small kiosk at Level 1 (near to bus interchange exit) for changing watch battery operated by one person, only accept NETS and CC (no cash). :a-bang: .

Wah, I thought mine was already expensive. Yours is tio carrot chop!!!

↡ Advertisement

Anyway anyone knows where to get "Renata" watch batteries? I mean other dan online purchase. Are there local shops that sell?

So far the shops I go to are usually carrying brands like "Sony" or some other Japanese brand. The size is 395.

I agree DIY changing battery is the cheapest but must see what kinda watch. For mine there's the o-ring that makes it water resistant. After long usage it has to be changed. For more luxury watches the battery change includes changing of the gasket. There's also labour charge and profit. It's a business after all.

I have only one watch which requires battery change. Others are either automatics or rechargeable.

I do a lot of diy too on the watch straps. A lot of choices online to accessorize.

I felt cheated after reading this thread. Yesterday, changed my G-Shock battery for $15 at Clementi Mall. There is a small kiosk at Level 1 (near to bus interchange exit) for changing watch battery operated by one person, only accept NETS and CC (no cash). :a-bang: .

First time I heard shops that don't accept Cash. Then our "Full Cash" brothers cannot go there liao.

First time I heard shops that don't accept Cash. Then our "Full Cash" brothers cannot go there liao.

Yes bro. Got put notice no cash, pay by NETS and CC only. Anyway, I won't go there anymore. Now in my ban list.

Another watch shop to beware is the one near the Hawkers outside Heartland Mall. Mine konked off in a month. When I took to the distributor, he complained the wrong batt was used n was a lousy batt.

• Praise 1

Anyway anyone knows where to get "Renata" watch batteries? I mean other dan online purchase. Are there local shops that sell?

So far the shops I go to are usually carrying brands like "Sony" or some other Japanese brand. The size is 395.

I agree DIY changing battery is the cheapest but must see what kinda watch. For mine there's the o-ring that makes it water resistant. After long usage it has to be changed. For more luxury watches the battery change includes changing of the gasket. There's also labour charge and profit. It's a business after all.

I have only one watch which requires battery change. Others are either automatics or rechargeable.

I do a lot of diy too on the watch straps. A lot of choices online to accessorize.

Mustafa Wu bo?

they have a shop on 2nd floor (opp BHG), the one you went is a kiosk hence no cash register, i believe they only accept cash only for control purpose.

edit: i meant accept Nets only.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Yours most likely a conti watch? Stick to Renata, else big regret.

Try Swatch shop. TH, Swatch, Cyma... all use Renata. I changed my Swatch Chrono batt for $8 many years ago.

Anyway, shops will not change seal for you unless you requested. They may not have the original seal also.

If it's a Japanese watch, the seal is very durable. As long as you don't damage it, it can be used again and again. No need to change.

Edited by Kangadrool

Yes bro. Got put notice no cash, pay by NETS and CC only. Anyway, I won't go there anymore. Now in my ban list.

wondering why ur nick is bruisedlee....now i get it!
  • Praise 1

maybe your ordinary is not so ordinary :D

You old fashioned

Limpeh see sun to tell time. No battery needed

• Praise 2

Thats the cheapest. But lazy la. Got to open, check the size of the battery then buy and replace. $4 more can get the shop to do everything under 5min.

i used to do that for some watches which can be prised open type or those with screws; Always first time when I change battery I take to this shop in Jalan Sultan and see how they open it; If they open it like "susah susah" then I give them it again; but if they just open with a flick of pen knife then next time i DIY myself; there was once i brought my wife Chopard to them ; they say they can open it but don't have the special mould to close it because of the glass frame structure of the moving diamonds. End up sending it to Agent ; i think it cost something like $60 or $80/-

There is one shop in Rochore Cenre (I dont know if its still there ) on the second floor .... Really very big supplier of watch parts and equipment, now suddenly I cannot remember, the name like damn funny one like..... Khatena Masood, They can do wonders and can get replacement parts very cheaply  

Mustafa Wu bo?

I only manage to find in those Japanese marts in shopping malls. Theirs is Sony brand. I'm hoping it doesn't leak. If really can't get I will get it online with other stuff. Thanks anyway.

I only manage to find in those Japanese marts in shopping malls. Theirs is Sony brand. I'm hoping it doesn't leak. If really can't get I will get it online with other stuff. Thanks anyway.

You will not find it anywhere else other than specific watch parts supplier.  Call 62923600.  It used to be in Rochor Centre.  Now i don't know.

You will not find it anywhere else other than specific watch parts supplier.  Call 62923600.  It used to be in Rochor Centre.  Now i don't know.

I monitor and see how lah. Thanks anyway.

they have a shop on 2nd floor (opp BHG), the one you went is a kiosk hence no cash register, i believe they only accept cash only for control purpose.

Ok noted, thanks bro!

(edited)

ALWAYS bring to AD. I always do that.

The benefits of AD is that you pay for their service where they clean and check your watch properly. That's where the price premium goes to.

You get what you pay for. For branded watches, it always better to bring to AD.

I got a TH watch where i always bring it to AD for battery changing. Ppl always tells me why pay more, can save $$ by brining to small shops.....

They forgot what the AD will do besides just plainly changing batteries.....

TH watch already costs couple of few thousands dollars..... come on, what's the point of saving that few dollars on battery change?

One authentic good battery can last for couple to few years already... save wat money? You take the savings $$ and divide by the number of days the good battery can last? how much is it each day???

Penny wise, pound foolish....

I dun trust that small shops, unless my watch is low class brand.

But of coz there are some good small shops around. depends on your luck.

i got this experience with a small shop, changing battery for my SAF watch... i think its a Victorianx watch... pardon my spelling....

We all know that its a Swiss watch. the guy told me the different prices for different battery... japan $5-$6. swiss battery $8-$10.

he actually told me the SAF watch needs Swiss battery coz its a Swiss watch. but at tat time, i just wan to save $$, coz its just a bloody SAF watch..... i can afford to spoilt it anyway.....

I told him use Japan battery. He told me if the watch stops working within a month, come bk to him so that he will change to Swiss battery.

This is a honest shop.

True enough, my SAF watch stopped working within a week!! I went bk and he just changed to Swiss battery, and i just top up the $$ difference. He was so confident that the Japan battery wouldn't last long.

And the swiss battery is still ticking away since one year ago.......

[thumbsup]  agree your reply is the same why buy car from PI having risk of unpleasent car buying experiences! in Singapore new car is easily or 98% more than SGD$100k not just a few thousand like your argument.... of course there are those good neighbour watchshop like maybe out of every 10 PI, 1 is good it is the risk one  take, thus every new car BAD buying experience complain 9 from PI only 1 from AD seem to surface in this forum.

Edited by D3badge

As an alternative to AD, I go to Watch Klinik aka HoroLab located at 6F Tanglin Shopping Centre. They are equipped to service high end swiss watches.

Change my batteries there as they do not want to do service with change battery unless absolutely necessary. AD want to do service every battery change and charge me an arm. On-the-spot get my watch back.

A sealing test in done after battery change to ensure that no air or sweat will get into mechanism, to cause corrosion.   

Hypersonic

No need to specially hunt for renata brand battery. The one to get are the silver oxide composition as this has the lowest risk from leakage.

Some neighborhood watch shop will give the cheaper alkakline equivalent which has highrisk of leakage.

↡ Advertisement