Carseats at front passenger seat

Silklee

Hi Guys

need some info.

Is it true that if there isnt any airbag in the front passenger seat, then it is NOT against the law to put a child carseat there?

If so, does anyone know that whether the front passenger airbag for the civic can be disabled?

Reason I am asking is because I need to accomodate 2 carseats and still seat another 1 driver and 2 adult passengers in my civic. Thus I am trying to work out if i can put 1 carseat at the front passenger seat and 1 at the back seat.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi Guys

need some info.

Is it true that if there isnt any airbag in the front passenger seat, then it is NOT against the law to put a child carseat there?

If so, does anyone know that whether the front passenger airbag for the civic can be disabled?

Reason I am asking is because I need to accomodate 2 carseats and still seat another 1 driver and 2 adult passengers in my civic. Thus I am trying to work out if i can put 1 carseat at the front passenger seat and 1 at the back seat.

Dun think there is a law about childseat and front passenger airbag.

Try checking the car manual how to disable the front passenger airbag.

I would prefer to put the 2 carseat + 1 adult passenger at the rear. If both child need adult attention, then the adult sit between the 2 carseat.

Front will be for driver and 1 adult.

I would not recommend carseat at the front, becos child may distract driver, unless child is alone with driver.

Me too not sure if there is a law that says no car seat at the front.

The manual does say try to avoid putting the car seat at the front and the airbag is disabled.

For me, I have 2 car seats at the back, left and right side.

Yes, very tight for an adult to sit in the middle.

Another point, we can install car seat in the middle if there is a 3point seat belt. Too bad, most Asian car has only the lap belt.

It's not against the law to have a child seat in front. Just remember to disable the airbag, especially if you're using a rear facing child seat.

For a forward facing seat, some experts say it's still ok to leave the airbag activated, but try to push the seat as far backwards and away from the airbag as possible. If you notice, the airbag safety warnings in cars always mention only rear facing child seats.

Of course, the safest place for any child seat is still in the rear, but given how many brainless drivers let their kids roam about the cabin unrestrained, I applaud your efforts in keeping everyone safe.

• Praise 1

Me too not sure if there is a law that says no car seat at the front.

The manual does say try to avoid putting the car seat at the front and the airbag is disabled.

For me, I have 2 car seats at the back, left and right side.

Yes, very tight for an adult to sit in the middle.

Another point, we can install car seat in the middle if there is a 3point seat belt. Too bad, most Asian car has only the lap belt.

Hi

Can I know if you are driving a civic as well. If so, which car seat are you using?

• Praise 1

If front passenger seat got airbag definitely cannot put baby car seat. Imagine if the airbag activate it will hurt n suffocate the baby. I only put the baby car seat behind.

• Praise 1

I am driving Stream. Narrower than civic.

Using Maxi-cosi Tobi and Rodi. Center person confirm cannot lean back as not enough shoulder space.

When my baby was still young, I am using Tobi as rear facing. So the center person still have some space. But now, both front facing, no more space. Maybe, to remove the high back on the Rodi, leaving just the boaster seat for my eldest son.

Of course, I have another option, that is to put my eldest son at 3rd row. But we try to avoid this.

Take out from dashboard?

Why not try disabling it using the front passenger airbag disable function first?

Really too free siah... take out dashboard.. [hur]

Twincharged

Take out from dashboard?

Why not try disabling it using the front passenger airbag disable function first?

Really too free siah... take out dashboard.. [hur]

but there would be serious insurance repercussion if anything bad were to happen right ?? tampering with airbags ??

but there would be serious insurance repercussion if anything bad were to happen right ?? tampering with airbags ??

You need to disable the front passenger airbag if you want to fit a baby seat in the front passenger seat. This prevents your baby from being killed by the airbag in the event of an accident. This is a pre-built function in most continental and some Japanese made cars.

when fitting baby seat to front passenger seat, they should only be fitted in rear-facing configuration, as depicted below:

article-2090574-116B21A5000005DC-582_468

there is no law stating that a child seat cannot be placed in the front row beside the driver, but this should be avoided for safety reasons. 

https://sg.theasianparent.com/singapore-rules-on-child-safety-in-car/

https://www.police.gov.sg/resources/traffic-matters/already-have-a-licence/revised-seat-belt-rules-faqs

my 2-year old is sitting in a front-facing carseat on the 3rd row, while my 10-month old is sitting rear facing on the 2nd row behind the driver's seat. 

we can be the most careful driver, but we cannot say the same for all drivers on the road. better to be safe than sorry. 

You can just take it to a technician to have it disabled or removed altogether!

Why remove or even go to a mechanic at all? Disabling it is as easy as pushing a button, setting on your infotainment system or disengaging the airbag mechanism with your car key! Don't give wrong advice and spend money unnecessarily!!!

↡ Advertisement