Skoda Wins Two Car of the Year awards for 2009 on TopGear

Echelon

Welcome welcome! What color you got?

There were only 3 colours available for Superb Elegance in stock when I visited last week - black, blue or white. I picked the black. I actually wanted one with the beige interior with the wood strips (just like in the brochure), but was told by the SE that HA had done a "market survey" and the buying public prefers black interiors with silver trims. Sigh. I apparently have very "lao ah pek" tastes.

Hi,

I am looking seriously at a unit, but a couple of things are a concern at the moment. Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light:

1) GPS - read from some older threads that the onboard GPS didn't work. Have any fixes been done?

2) Bluetooth - the bluetooth feature couldn't detect my HTC Android phone at all - apparently they only support Bluetooth Sync profiles for phonebook sync, which work with non-smartphone Nokias and SEs.... That means I don't even get to receive calls on the set, unlike other bluetooth sets which simply fails to sync but works as a headset anyway.

3) Depreciation - is 50% of purchase price over 3 years an exaggeration?

4) reports of defects on delivery on other forum threads - any faced with the Superb?

5) Parts availability and servicing.... for a low volume car, does this mean inordinate wait times to replace defects?

I can only reply 1) and 5)

I believe 1) has been fixed with some firmware upgrade, owners please confirm.

5) Many stockists available here and parts are abundance unless it's really a rare part that has gone faulty. It's low volume in some sense, but remember Skoda shares the same parts as Audi/VW and the whole lot of Skoda cabs out there.

Edited by Beanoyip

Neutral Newbie

Yeap for 1) the issue has already been resolved....if you encounter inaccuracy on ur GPS just send it in for a software update.....even those units on volkswagens cars are also rectified

as for 2) unfortunately there are some phones that are totally incompatible with the bluetooth system in the superb.....the Iphone is one of them i think....think it is due to something called rSAP (remote sim access profile) which allows your car to access your sim card.....if your phone doesnt allow it....then the car cant connect to it....something along those lines anyway....think there is a thread somewhere in both vagsg and briskoda forums which have a list of phones that are compatible.....

for 3)...not sure if the depreciation is like 50% but yeah....expect pretty high depreciation for this car.....in fact for most conti cars you will experience pretty high depreciation anyway....unless you are talking about the beemers and mercs....

4) defects?.......not on mine so far.....car is already one year old.....

5) i don't think there will be a lack of parts seriously.....from what I heard there are 3 stockists in Sg that carry skoda parts (cos the parts are shared with volkswagen and audi anyway) so I doubt there will be any issue with replacement of parts....some guys who own the VW Passat can even teach me all about my engine bay layout.....cos its exactly the same as their Passats [laugh]

Edit: for 2) I found the thread and the webby.....check it out http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSAP .....but take note its in German so you will need to search a little through the page to find the list of phones [laugh]

Edited by Speeddemon

So far, all the recalls has been Asian cars......kinda give you some thoughts about it.

Secondly our cars are built like tanks.....already 3 cars have hit me at slow speeds(in car parks mostly - wonder why they can't see me) that was not out of control.... mine was a scratch on the bumper, while theirs was like a crumbed can of coke. They ask if I could settle out, so paid me and they went to service theirs....I almost felt sorry for their ride. This gave my family a lot of confidence.

Engine - this is the part I cannot fail to keep saying, smooth, powerful and reliable...no wonder they call it bullet/bomb proof(Top Gear magazine review) :)

Hi Echelon,

Nice to know that Skoda built is tough as a tank and meant to last a long time.

It certainly give me a good assurance especially where safety is a major concern with family on board.

I am fed up with my "jepun" ride after being back reared twice throughout 3 years of ownership. So fragile!

Cheers!

My superb hit 133,500 km recently and still going strong. Turbo kicks in when I need it, the spin and push that is totally enthusiastic always puts a smile on my face!

Looking forward to getting my second ride once I break even. It will be either a Yeti or Superb II. My wife prefers the Superb II.

Neutral Newbie

Cool. You must be one of the longest user of Superb or for that matter, any car! When you be starting to look at the Yeti/SuperbII, I understand that they are preparing for lanuch for Yeti and Fabia in May.

There were only 3 colours available for Superb Elegance in stock when I visited last week - black, blue or white. I picked the black. I actually wanted one with the beige interior with the wood strips (just like in the brochure), but was told by the SE that HA had done a "market survey" and the buying public prefers black interiors with silver trims. Sigh. I apparently have very "lao ah pek" tastes.

May I know how much you pay for yr car?

May I know how much you pay for yr car?

HA was quoting 115,800 for it at the time. Sufficed to say I was able to bargain a few k off. Just being frustrated with the wait at the moment to take delivery for it.

Neutral Newbie

Hi bro Hockers,

HA price is now:

* S$141,800 for the 1.8 Ambition

* S$148,800 for the 1.8 Elegance

Wow!

ouch .. still too expensive

Yah man. I wouldnt be able to pay this kind of money if I were to be looking for a car now.

What a difference a month makes! This COE business is crazy.

Yah man. I wouldnt be able to pay this kind of money if I were to be looking for a car now.

What a difference a month makes! This COE business is crazy.

Our garmen got the best biz selling papers at unbelievable ROIC. You, me and basically everyone else are at the short end of the stick hehehe... so dun blame car dealers selling cars so expensive hor. [shakehead]

HA was quoting 115,800 for it at the time. Sufficed to say I was able to bargain a few k off. Just being frustrated with the wait at the moment to take delivery for it.

Could it be that the delay is due to the bargain?

Could it be that the delay is due to the bargain?

You mean HA sold my car to someone else at a higher price and then is gambling on COE coming down before bringing in a new piece for me, and in the meantime, lending me a car to use FOC? Maybe, but it would have been a serious gamble for HA to take, and I doubt they would take it. But then again, anything's possible!

Hi bro Hockers,

HA price is now:

* S$141,800 for the 1.8 Ambition

* S$148,800 for the 1.8 Elegance

Wow!

Seem like not only COE increase price, their car (excluding COE) also increase their price too! The car cost more than 100k without COE. For those who bought during Blackout sale must be very happy now

↡ Advertisement