Nespresso Coffee Maker and espresso machines

Blackyv

All these machines are for ang mo coffee right? I still prefer the coffee shop kopi.

Those are robusta coffee beans, slightly cheaper as the are grown on plains, hardier plant and less care required. About 3 time more caffeine level compare to arabica coffee in terms of volume.

Arabica coffee required higher grounds, sloping terrain for better water drainage and require more care as more susceptible external conditions.

Robusta beans are roasted with corn syrup and sugar to provide added body and stronger taste even when diluted with water.

Brewing, normally with boiling water that also remove all other aromatic properties when compare using water with a temperature around 92-95 celcius degrees. Boiling water will also remove the natural acidic taste (mellow in wine tasting terms).

The natural acidic taste is different from the rancid taste when left to interact with air - like beer or wine when exposed to air for prolonged period (oxidation).

A lot depend on the person who brew the coffee. There are some coffeeshops that serve good local coffee.

Drink kopi-o-kosong and you would straight away know if the brewer know how to brew.

Ang mo, Espresso coffee are normally a blend of 80% arabica 20% robusta beans to provide full body and strong aroma and light acidity.

Give one anytime in the morining, local or ang mo coffee.

[laugh]

That's for the real coffee connoisseur. The temperature setting too.

Till now, I have seldom or rather never seen any barista at mass market cafe warm up the cup for espresso.

I love to have a slightly acidic blend as it provide a sweet finish. Never add sugar, it's just spoilt the real taste.

Yes the temperature. Have to be just right, else the ground coffee will produce a burnt taste.

Making a good cuppa is an art.

Please try it and u'll slowly be able to appreciate the true essence of every carefully chosen arabica bean.

And leave thE sugar alone. U don't want them to mask away the authentic taste

(edited)

Used the heavy duty ones with the "flat" capsules in several of the restaurants I used to work for. My aunt has the 'le cube' home version too. As compared to the traditional 'Italian Press' coffee machines here are some of the pros & cons of the Nespresso:

PROS:

1) Very simple and easy to use

2) Clean, convenient, no fuss, no mess (used/unused coffee powder all over the place!)

3) Quiet (no loud banging sound caused by the clearing of used coffee powder in an Italian Press. No grinding sound too.)

4) Consistent quality of coffee (unlike traditional machines where lack of regular maintenance will alter the heat and pressure levels leaving an unpleasant 'burnt' taste in the coffee.)

5) Very nice 'crema', thick and consistant.

6) Can get the optional 'Aerocino' which allows any fool to make the most professional looking cappucino/latte foam in the world!

CONS:

1) More expensive in the long run as capsules cost about $1 each.

2) Exclusive to Nescafe so if they decide to increase price of their capsules, there's nothing you can do about it!!

3) The array of flavours is impressive, but too confusing for the non-connoisseur. Have tried educating customers about their range of coffees but most don't get it and/or can't be bothered!

4) Doesn't have the charm and flair of a traditional Italian Press; foaming the milk, pressing the coffee powder just right etc...

5) The worst thing about Nespresso to me is the coffee's lack of 'Power'. Even their strongest blend, the black 'Ristretto', is nothing compared to a simple espresso from a traditional machine. A double shot of 'serre' or 'tight' espresso from their 'Ristretto' blend wasn't even enough to satisfy my morning needs! And that was already $2/- cost to the restaurant (pls don't tell my boss!!)

In conclusion, if you're all up for a simple, clean & convenient type of coffee machine for your home, I think the Nespresso is a very good buy. Provided you're not averse to the lighter style of coffee of course! If however, you're like me (a caffeine freak!) and prefer your coffees as strong as they come, you'd be better of without the Nespresso...

(edit: posting incomplete due to internet problems!!)

Edited by Hermitage

I'm using the manual kind of coffee machine. I Mix and match my own beans and grind them to the coarseness I want.

I dare say my coffee can taste twice as good as nespresso coffee.

And I don't think it's messy as long as u do it frequently. Whenever my friends come over for coffee, they r impressed by the rhythmic actions to produce a good cuppa. I take pride in that.

Nespresso is only good for the convenience. It has none of the ingredients required for a true cuppa.

Good barista + quality beans + correct coarseness + controlled tamping + consistent pump pressure

WoW!! You're the man! This is the true style of the coffee lover!!

Are your lady frens (like your avatar...) equally impressed by your other type of rhythmic actions?? [laugh][sly]

Supercharged

yup, my office pantry has one.... [:p]

great stuff. ez to use and minimal cleaning (isnt this wat everyone is looking for?)

to me, the coffee is thick enough for daily drinking. perk me up real fast.

for downside is if they decided to raise prices for the capsules, we suck thumb, which i believe they will in near future. now is only $1 each, and i think they intentionally priced it low coz they waiting for a critical mass of consumers to buy their machines. once they have the mass, they will raise the capsules prices. Pure biz sense.

$1 per capsule is pretty cheap, compared to drink kopi tiam type. its only 30 cents more than kopi tiam type, and alot cheaper than those ang mo cafes out there.....

sigh..too bad my wife is non coffee drinker...when i shifted to my new place, there is a nice coffeemaker in the kitchen and i wld look forward to gatherings n weekends to make a good cup of coffee...but now the coffeemaker has made way for the blender and im getting my fix at the 90cent coffeeshop haha!

damn... u guys are all coffee master.....i think i do not have what it takes to know the art of appreciating good coffee or the art of making good coffee.... .....just get to know about this cool gadget and hand itchy ........ i think i will drop by the outlet and taste it out before deciding on getting it......... [:p]

===============

Hahaha. To me a good cuppa is from the sarabat stall. [:p]

I was looking around for a cheapo espresso maker at Cash Converters. Dissatisfied, I went shopping.

Wow! $3000 fully automated espresso maker. Oooh...... not in my budget.

Krups crappycinno maker with 15 bar pressure at Best Denki. $429. Yuck. The drip coffee/espresso combo is $409. Yuck.

Then I came to Carrefour. Then I spotted this drip coffee/espresso combo machine. Says $199. ...... WAIT! What is this other tag stuck next to it? Special? $49.90? Asked salesperson. Confirm it is!

Quickly bought the 4.5kg machine.

Went home to try it. Works! I can make single espresso. Double espresso and it even has an attachment to accept coffee pods (evil Nespresso).

I think there are 3 machines there. I got 1 so this means two are left. Maybe there is more in stock.

Espresso lovers go CHIONG AH!

Carrefour brand.

This is a steam driven espresso machine. So it is dirt cheap compared to the expensive piston or pump driven ones which are those $3000+ monsters.

you work for Nespresso?

Huh? No lah, why you say that? [confused] I've just had quite a fair bit of experience working with their machines. This is because I was working in some restaurants which used Nespresso machines & capsules. These are different from the ones designed for home use...taste the same though :huh:

Huh? No lah, why you say that? [confused] I've just had quite a fair bit of experience working with their machines. This is because I was working in some restaurants which used Nespresso machines & capsules. These are different from the ones designed for home use...taste the same though :huh:

i see.... nothing, just happen to be in the trade :D

↡ Advertisement