Do you think Singapore is a democratic country?

Mike1234

Do you guys agree that Singapore is a democratic country?

By wikipedia:

"Democracy cannot consist solely of elections that are nearly always fictitious and managed by rich landowners and professional politicians."

— Che Guevara, Marxist revolutionary[57]

Democratic is usually referred as a freedom of speech......

But do you think Singapore has it?

I still kind of find that Singapore is a "Communist" Democratic Country.........

Singapore is dominated by the only single party where people have no choice ......

There is lack of freedom of speech where people cant protest when they are not happy....We can only complaint....

And the people usually get Govt pushing blame around its Govt agency.......Example : SPF, LTA, URA.....

Furthermore......L** family are most powerful and dominant within the country which held important and crucial positions within Govt itself........

A friend of mine once told me, Singapore is not much difference of Noth Korea......

Edited by Mike1234
↡ Advertisement

By wikipedia:

"Democracy cannot consist solely of elections that are nearly always fictitious and managed by rich landowners and professional politicians."

By wikipedia:

Please look up the meaning of democracy.

no need $$ to buy dictionary. online have already

while you at it, look up communism also.

for a start, go read up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore#Gov...nt_and_politics

"The Economist Intelligence Unit describes Singapore as a "hybrid regime" of democratic and authoritarian elements"

Please look up the meaning of democracy.

no need $$ to buy dictionary. online have already

Spore cant be too open and democratic. Too much trouble already. Look at the kids nowadays.

They want more rights, talk more, act more etc... imagine when they grow up. Can talk cant work.

Its a small country. Cant affort to go wrong.

Unlike Msia, Indo, their economy is spread out.

Spore, whe whole country is this little "city" only.

i am not arguing about what singapore should be.

I am arguing about TS saying that

democracy = freedom of speech.

a dictator can grant citizen freedom of speech but citizen don't get to vote at all.

is that democracy?

in a monarchy, if the king doesn't care what you say. he grant freedom of speech.

Is that democracy?

By wikipedia:

a dictator can grant citizen freedom of speech but citizen don't get to vote at all.

is that democracy?

in a monarchy, if the king doesn't care what you say. he grant freedom of speech.

Is that democracy?

me suspects is hishercar again.....trying to stir sh%$%^$#

Nope.....I am not into any supporter of political parties in Singapore........

The fact is i wont be even voting for any......

Not because i dont care but none of them deserves my voting.....

No matter how much we vote, we still cant change anythings.

Family Dictatorship (Extract from wikipedia):-

A family dictatorship is a form of dictatorship that operates much like an absolute monarchy, yet occurs in a nominally republican state and is not part of its laws.

When the dictator of a family dictatorship dies, one of his relatives (usually his son) becomes the new ruler of the country. This transition often occurs after years of "grooming" the dictator's successor as heir apparent.

Nicaragua: Anastasio Somoza Garc

Family Dictatorship (Extract from wikipedia):-

A family dictatorship is a form of dictatorship that operates much like an absolute monarchy, yet occurs in a nominally republican state and is not part of its laws.

When the dictator of a family dictatorship dies, one of his relatives (usually his son) becomes the new ruler of the country. This transition often occurs after years of "grooming" the dictator's successor as heir apparent.

Nicaragua: Anastasio Somoza Garc

Edited by KapitanE

Lets see if anybody can follow my train of thought.

SG gahment has privatized all our state-owned infrastructure. SMRT, SBS, SIA, SingPost, ST etc.

Sovereign wealth fund AKA Temasek Holdings has tentacles into every one of these.

This means they are state-owned private enterprises. (what an oxymoron!)

Then let me introduce to you FASCISM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

Note the definition.

Fascists seek to organize a nation on corporatist perspectives; values; and systems such as the political system and the economy.

Interesting, isn't it?

Now forget about the war part in the Wiki article. We can't afford it here but just by going with the first line of the definition, we might very well be a fascist state! A rather distinct and successful form might I add.

Read up the entire Wiki article. I highly recommend it.

is that democracy?

Is that democracy?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont you think that we are like :

The king doesnt care what you say and only $$$$$$$, and he grant voting where there is no freedom of speech?

We are not allowed to criticize them.......

Have they really care and understand that there are many people around who needs help alot?

Do they really care about the people or care about $$$$$ ?

They have all sorts of excuses when they are trying to defend themselves.........

I will never forget what the table tennis president who said to the reporter when asked " Why wasnt any of our Local players playing for the S.E.A table tennis final?"

Her reply was " To ensure 100% victory"....

I was very disappointed by her comments......

She is trying to say that our local people are not even up to standard........

Your example of the table tennis president's comments is interesting.

The Nazis have complete faith in victory. They employed King Tiger tanks, V1 and V2 rockets. They have powerful jet fighters in the form of the Me262. All in the name of complete victory.

So their idea of not deploying our local players is also rooted in this ideology of complete victory.

Interesting isn't it. Are we a fascist nation? Our children are drilled for the economic survival of this island nation. Our schools competitive. A sort of academic Darwinism. To ensure a good future for ourselves and also our nation, it is seen as economic war. Our uniformed ECA groups are quite like the Hitler Youth. Except the difference is that we don't worship Der Fuhrer. We worship our future dollar.

The more I go on, I'm sure you will begin to see that we are indeed a highly successful capitalistic fascist state!

are we a democratic society ? this i think is one of the best thread in mcf especially in recent times.

in a scale of 0 to 10, i'd say we are at 5 and usa being the highest 9. only when we can have free and multiple media and the freedom to demonstrate and a fairer political landscape, then we can be higher.

however, some of this restriction is for the good of the nation, but i'd rather not.

Edited by Vextan
↡ Advertisement