ATF FLUSHING - is it necessary???

Chiongster

==============

I guess it cant harm as long as it was installed properly & is of a good brand like Hayden.

Keeping your ATF cool is always good. [thumbsup]

But u now have more points to go wrong & the ATF to leak. Just make sure it was installed properly & check once in awhile for any leaks sud b OK.

I check my fluids including ATF, engine oil dipstick etc. every Saturday morning.

So far regular monitoring..... [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

No need, you should be able to extract the information via the OBD port.

===============

Yes very true.

Thats why I say the enemy of your ATF is heat. It destroys your ATF faster than u think.

Certain driving styles or conditions can cause the ATF to get very hot & lose its lubricating properties.

The only way to have the "hard data" is to do an oil analysis every once in a while which can b very troublesome. So it might b easier to just change as often as your budget & time allows to play safe.

No need, you should be able to extract the information via the OBD port.

==============

How can the OBD know when u need to change your ATF?

So far I dont know of any car which can do this?????? [confused][confused][confused]

I check my fluids including ATF, engine oil dipstick etc. every Saturday morning.

So far regular monitoring..... [thumbsup]

==========

So that means u only work a 5 day week. [laugh]

But its good to check once a week.

I usually only check a day or 2 after my service. After that I hardly ever check. Maybe only once a month or 2 months, unless I going on a long trip up north. Then I check everything a couple of days b4 a trip.

Temp of ATF, refer to what I meant by hard data. Based on the max temp, you can roughly gauge when to change, simple as that.

==============

How can the OBD know when u need to change your ATF?

So far I dont know of any car which can do this?????? [confused][confused][confused]

================

ATF slightly different. There is no "grade" or thickness unlike manual tranny.

Only u must use the correct type of ATF(Dexron, Mercon, Diaqueen, Mopar, etc) as they have different properties.

The synthetic ATFs r better as they can take more heat but also more ex. The choice is yours depending on your driving style & budget.

ATF/autobox shifts gears differently from a manual gearbox. They use Planetary gears instead.

There is..Toyota WS ATF is suppose to be Low Vicoisity.

Temp of ATF, refer to what I meant by hard data. Based on the max temp, you can roughly gauge when to change, simple as that.

=============

Er......Can explain how u do that?

I have no idea how u going to determine when u sud change the ATF based on the readings of the OBD. U ever seen the readout of the ATF temp from the OBD b4? [confused]

There is..Toyota WS ATF is suppose to be Low Vicoisity.

============

How to define what is high & what is low?

No numbers given can b very vague.

What is "Toyota WS ATF"? Where to buy & how much per lit? Maybe I can try if its Dexron IIe & above.

==========

So that means u only work a 5 day week. [laugh]

But its good to check once a week.

I usually only check a day or 2 after my service. After that I hardly ever check. Maybe only once a month or 2 months, unless I going on a long trip up north. Then I check everything a couple of days b4 a trip.

This habit has been with me since driving school days at Bukit Timah and my COE car time.

Neutral Newbie

This habit has been with me since driving school days at Bukit Timah and my COE car time.

That's a good habit! [thumbsup]

Just to check with u on ATF level check. I heard it is necessary to check ATF only when the car is heated up for ard 30mins or so. If this is so, how do you normally perform your checks?

I've on board OBD readouts from my Blitz r-vit which I keep track atf temp and other parameters on my previous Toyota celica. Unfortunately for my current Euro R, there's no temp readouts from gearbox else it'll be interesting to see what is the temp reach during hard driving.

Assuming the typical ATF lifespan of DEX III of 80k, I keep track of the max atf during the usage period.

80-89 degrees can last 80k

90 - 99 degrees can last 40k

During hard driving, I can get up to 90 degrees even with a ATF cooler.

This is as simple as that.

=============

Er......Can explain how u do that?

I have no idea how u going to determine when u sud change the ATF based on the readings of the OBD. U ever seen the readout of the ATF temp from the OBD b4? [confused]

I've on board OBD readouts from my Blitz r-vit which I keep track atf temp and other parameters on my previous Toyota celica. Unfortunately for my current Euro R, there's no temp readouts from gearbox else it'll be interesting to see what is the temp reach during hard driving.

Assuming the typical ATF lifespan of DEX III of 80k, I keep track of the max atf during the usage period.

80-89 degrees can last 80k

90 - 99 degrees can last 40k

During hard driving, I can get up to 90 degrees even with a ATF cooler.

This is as simple as that.

==============

Ah so. U got a Blitz which gives u the info. Not every normal car wil have this lah.

So for u, just monitor the max temp of ATF if u have it. For me I dont have that luxury.

================

A very good habit to have indeed.

It reminds me of those army drivers who must do their 1st parade task & last parade task EVERYDAY. [whip]

I usually monitor for the start & if all looks OK, then I just check once in awhile. Even my last COE car was quite reliable so I seldom monitor that often unless I detect a problem. Then I wil check often to see if I need to go to the ws to get it fixed.

That's a good habit! [thumbsup]

Just to check with u on ATF level check. I heard it is necessary to check ATF only when the car is heated up for ard 30mins or so. If this is so, how do you normally perform your checks?

Honestly, when I check my ATF, my car was not heated up. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can advise here. To me, important for ATF is the colour change and the last fluid change.

I check my engine oil dipstick, air filter, brake fluid, power steering fluid, undercarriage, tyre pressure etc when the car is stationary and engine not switched on.

================

A very good habit to have indeed.

It reminds me of those army drivers who must do their 1st parade task & last parade task EVERYDAY. [whip]

I usually monitor for the start & if all looks OK, then I just check once in awhile. Even my last COE car was quite reliable so I seldom monitor that often unless I detect a problem. Then I wil check often to see if I need to go to the ws to get it fixed.

I wasn't from the army but the other uniformed service.

So when I was sent for my driving course, it was kind of a drill given by my instructor every morning before I hop onto the car. Kind of learn it from the school of hard knocks with a lot of scoldings every morning but I really appreciate my instructor for all his "knocks". It made me the kind of driver today and to be responsible and considerate to fellow road users and not take things for granted.

so the blitz rvit shows atf temp directly from the obd for only toyota models? Coz i dont recall devices able to read atf temp for nissan cars from obd. Water temp yes, volt too, no auto gearbox temp...are additional sensors required to get the atf temp readouts? Tks

so the blitz rvit shows atf temp directly from the obd for only toyota models? Coz i dont recall devices able to read atf temp for nissan cars from obd. Water temp yes, volt too, no auto gearbox temp...are additional sensors required to get the atf temp readouts? Tks

I wasn't from the army but the other uniformed service.

So when I was sent for my driving course, it was kind of a drill given by my instructor every morning before I hop onto the car. Kind of learn it from the school of hard knocks with a lot of scoldings every morning but I really appreciate my instructor for all his "knocks". It made me the kind of driver today and to be responsible and considerate to fellow road users and not take things for granted.

=================

So u used to hang around 4th Ave Bt Timah?

↡ Advertisement