Tomika Auto Air Con

Fcw75

Yahthats my principle. If intend to keep the car long then repair early so u spread the depreciation over longer time.

Ya lor, else the ROI no good. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Just changed magnetic clutch for air-con today at Tomika Ubi Branch. Cost me around $256(including GST).

Overall quite happy with the service that the mechanic(Mr Lee, I think is the boss also) provided.

He told me the repair should take less that 1 hour, but it only took 20 mins.

Recommended Shop.

Edited by cysj05

Just changed magnetic clutch for air-con today at Tomika Ubi Branch. Cost me around $256(including GST).

Overall quite happy with the service that the mechanic(Mr Lee, I think is the boss also) provided.

Recommended Shop.

are you there to see what they do or you just leave your car there? 20mins job? probably replace your relay only? 20 mins job cost $256 sounds fishy.

Neutral Newbie

Yes, I was there all the while, basically the way he do things very systematic(forgot to mention he have another mechanic helping him). It seems to me that he have been doing this tons of time so it looks very simple to him. He dismantle the compressor I presume and removed the faulty magnetic clutch and replaced it with a new one.

My car is Toyota Vios, before making the trip to Tomiko, I went to Borneo motor Toyota branch at ubi. They quoted me a ridiculous sum of $870 to replace same part!

Edited by cysj05

Recommended Shop.

Just to let you know that my friend changed his Vios magnetic clutch for $200 at Kim Hoe Ubi. Took about 30 mins and it was on a Sunday somemore.

Just to let you know that my friend changed his Vios magnetic clutch for $200 at Kim Hoe Ubi. Took about 30 mins and it was on a Sunday somemore.

Is that right? Got cheaper (and as good) as Tomika? Let me take a note of that in case i need in future.

Other than the price, i'm quite pleased with Lee from Tomika Ubi. i went there twice lat Aug-Oct. One time replaced fan coil as it was leaking, $500 + GST. Then the other time replace control valve, $300+ + GST...

Both times a/c quite good afterward...

For the latter, went to 2 other workshops before that, and both could not pinpoint problem and just said monitor...

but if got cheaper elsewhere then even better...

Edited by Atrecord

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Bad Service with Tomika @ Ubi

Went to tomika @ ubi road 1 on 30th may due to aircon not cold and have hissing sound. Did a gas topup a week before and the air con was not cold 2 days after the gas topup.

At Tomika, a balding old uncle that look like their boss handled my case, his staff came to do a visual check and says it could be the cooling coil that is leaking and recommend to change it. My car was then driven by their staff to their Bukit Merah branch for the repairs as they are short on manpower that day. The uncle confirms that the new cooling coil will come with 6 months warranty.

When the car was returned to me on that day, the boss showed me a old looking cooling coil that looks similar to one of the cooling coil that pile up at their side of the shop and say the old part has been changed out and this is it. The price for replacing the cooling coil and relays plus workmanship cost me $565 in total including gst.

When i drove my car home, i noticed that the car was not as cold as it used to be (when it is good) though a bit better than what i am previously experiencing. To my dismay, two days later, my aircon have the hissing sound again and the old problem is back.

Went back to the shop again actually on the 7th day. This time another Tomika staff handled me. Now i was told that the compressor spoiled. I will need to pay 520 not including gst to change compressor out. Worrying that it could be due to the cooling coil not installed properly or faulty, i ask whether there is a warranty for cooling coil, he says "no warranty, but u will have warranty for your compressor if u decide to change it with us".

Furthermore. The staff keep assured us that they have already given all the discount they can give and mention that kmowing i am here for the second time, they will charge me less

Decide to look for 2nd opinion, i went to another workshop. did a dye test and confirms my compressor leaks. Changed it for S$380 (nett. No GST).

This workshop guy seem surprised when i mentioned to him i had just changed the cooling coil before. Because he cannot tell that the joint from the valve to the cooling coil has been tempered with. He says the screws on the joint do not looked like having been unscrewed before, and the rubber seal between the screw and the plate also have no sign of tempering. I am not an expert so i just post a photo of that joint between the valve to the cooling coil assembly ( photo taken standing facing the bonnet). All comments welcomed!

No way i will go back to Tomika again. Last time review was very good, my friend also changed his cooling coil there last year and no complaints on their service. But this whole experience is really hell...

post-159587-0-15070300-1433678743_thumb.jpg

Edited by Feitz

(edited)

Also had bad experience at tomika Ubi last year. Went there due to aircon not cold, changed cooling coil during 1st visit, not cold again so changed valve nipples following week. 2 weeks later, not cold again, said my compressor was leaking need to replace.. Went to mark cool, and ah huat said it is very seldom the coil and compressor will spoil together or so near.. He did a thorough check and replaced compressor, no problem until now.. Maybe it's just my luck.. Wasted 3 days of my precious annual leave..

Edited by Optramagnum

Supercharged

Also had bad experience at tomika Ubi last year. Went there due to aircon not cold, changed cooling coil during 1st visit, not cold again so changed valve nipples following week. 2 weeks later, not cold again, said my compressor was leaking need to replace.. Went to mark cool, and ah huat said it is very seldom the coil and compressor will spoil together or so near.. He did a thorough check and replaced compressor, no problem until now.. Maybe it's just my luck.. Wasted 3 days of my precious annual leave..

u r not alone; i oso changed coolin coil last year due to freezing of ac piping. ended up removed dash n found coolin coil like new. imagine payin for labor when things r ok. then fixed back everythin still freeze; checked pressure n noted compressor kept pumpin refrigerant that y froze - so pointed to compressor n possible thermostat issue. downtime for both events 2 days. only gd thing was wc boss gave me a compli rental car for day 2 after seeing i kept stayin at ws see them troubleshoot. collected car at day 3 evening after work.

i hinted to boss he probably misdiagnosed but he insisted ac pipe freeze must first check internal ac components within dash. his ac in-charge can still claim air compressor cost 7-800 when i oredi know beforehand price is 300 fr stockist.

Bad Service with Tomika @ Ubi

Went to tomika @ ubi road 1 on 30th may due to aircon not cold and have hissing sound. Did a gas topup a week before and the air con was not cold 2 days after the gas topup.

At Tomika, a balding old uncle that look like their boss handled my case, his staff came to do a visual check and says it could be the cooling coil that is leaking and recommend to change it. My car was then driven by their staff to their Bukit Merah branch for the repairs as they are short on manpower that day. The uncle confirms that the new cooling coil will come with 6 months warranty.

When the car was returned to me on that day, the boss showed me a old looking cooling coil that looks similar to one of the cooling coil that pile up at their side of the shop and say the old part has been changed out and this is it. The price for replacing the cooling coil and relays plus workmanship cost me $565 in total including gst.

When i drove my car home, i noticed that the car was not as cold as it used to be (when it is good) though a bit better than what i am previously experiencing. To my dismay, two days later, my aircon have the hissing sound again and the old problem is back.

Went back to the shop again actually on the 7th day. This time another Tomika staff handled me. Now i was told that the compressor spoiled. I will need to pay 520 not including gst to change compressor out. Worrying that it could be due to the cooling coil not installed properly or faulty, i ask whether there is a warranty for cooling coil, he says "no warranty, but u will have warranty for your compressor if u decide to change it with us".

Furthermore. The staff keep assured us that they have already given all the discount they can give and mention that kmowing i am here for the second time, they will charge me less

Decide to look for 2nd opinion, i went to another workshop. did a dye test and confirms my compressor leaks. Changed it for S$380 (nett. No GST).

This workshop guy seem surprised when i mentioned to him i had just changed the cooling coil before. Because he cannot tell that the joint from the valve to the cooling coil has been tempered with. He says the screws on the joint do not looked like having been unscrewed before, and the rubber seal between the screw and the plate also have no sign of tempering. I am not an expert so i just post a photo of that joint between the valve to the cooling coil assembly ( photo taken standing facing the bonnet). All comments welcomed!

No way i will go back to Tomika again. Last time review was very good, my friend also changed his cooling coil there last year and no complaints on their service. But this whole experience is really hell...

it just takes one alibaba event to break the trust, just like my encounter above. i think ws boss quite down-to-earth; twas his ac-in-charge guy not so honest but i felt boss was tryin to cover his own staff when i exchanged pointers w him.

I am sorry, but this shop is a con shop, and the boss and technician is the same accomplices...

they play good guy and bad guy to try to con you.

Neutral Newbie

u r not alone; i oso changed coolin coil last year due to freezing of ac piping. ended up removed dash n found coolin coil like new. imagine payin for labor when things r ok. then fixed back everythin still freeze; checked pressure n noted compressor kept pumpin refrigerant that y froze - so pointed to compressor n possible thermostat issue. downtime for both events 2 days. only gd thing was wc boss gave me a compli rental car for day 2 after seeing i kept stayin at ws see them troubleshoot. collected car at day 3 evening after work.

i hinted to boss he probably misdiagnosed but he insisted ac pipe freeze must first check internal ac components within dash. his ac in-charge can still claim air compressor cost 7-800 when i oredi know beforehand price is 300 fr stockist.

it just takes one alibaba event to break the trust, just like my encounter above. i think ws boss quite down-to-earth; twas his ac-in-charge guy not so honest but i felt boss was tryin to cover his own staff when i exchanged pointers w him.

My personal experience tells me something is wrong with how Tomika is run.

One day can tell me got warranty, next day can tell me no warranty. 560 dollar job leh...

Within 7 days go back somemore.

Neutral Newbie

Try Kim Aircon further down the row.

Hi. Care to share what you services you engaged Kim Aircon for and why you recommend them? Thanks!

Hi. Care to share what you services you engaged Kim Aircon for and why you recommend them? Thanks!

for review and comments you may want to do a search on the forum or merchant review. read the reviews and you can decide if you would want their service. sometimes by asking here is very difficult.

Almost 2 years ago, I changed cooling coil at $700, big job, removed entire dashboard, 1 day.

Then 3 months after cooling coil change, fan motor died.. $120.

Then last year compressor died when I drive to KL.. drive without air con in KL traffic.. and KL mechanic says compressor spoilt and 6 hours down time. No time to hang for 6 hours, drove back SG and changed compressor.. 3 hours+ job, plus the shop cleaned out the air con condensing and says lucky the air con oil didn't got sucked into the condenser else have to change.$600+...

All done at Kim. At least they not so crowded

Supersonic
(edited)

Almost 2 years ago, I changed cooling coil at $700, big job, removed entire dashboard, 1 day.

Then last year compressor died when I drive to KL.. drive without air con in KL traffic.. and KL mechanic says compressor spoilt and 6 hours down time. No time to hang for 6 hours, drove back SG and changed compressor.. 3 hours+ job, plus the shop cleaned out the air con condensing and says lucky the air con oil didn't got sucked into the condenser else have to change.$600+...

Aircon oil or PAG oil is mixed together with coolant. While the coolant is used for cooling by being compressed and expanded, the PAG oil is used to lubricate the compressor. Everything passed through the condenser.

Strange thing to do say that oil didn't got sucked into the condenser.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Aircon oil or PAG oil is mixed together with coolant. While the coolant is used for cooling by being compressed and expanded, the PAG oil is used to lubricate the compressor. Everything passed through the condenser.

Strange thing to do say that oil didn't got sucked into the condenser.

haha KB you so technical don't understand.. I lagi don't understand haha

(edited)

I am sorry, but this shop is a con shop, and the boss and technician is the same accomplices...

they play good guy and bad guy to try to con you.

Wow this is strong comment from you

Edited by Panerex77
↡ Advertisement