Kok Kee's wonton noodle is worth the wait

Blackseal

Overrated in my opinion. Pathetic serving portion even for $4. The noodle is worth some mention. I am pretty sure the way it is made in the first place is different from your typical run of the mill wanton noodles. But thats about it to be honest. The wanton is forgettable. The soup smacks of MSG and the sauce is sometimes not mixed well, i could have sworn i bit into salt granules from time to time.

↡ Advertisement

the "best Black Sauce Wanton Mee" for me is Lucky Wanton Mee at Bkt Timah Food Centre.

I still like the Joo Chiat wanton mee, and the chilli sauce, but think it's too overpriced.

There is one that puts every single one of these so-called "best" wtm to shame! It's only for the initiated, so I won't be saying His name out loud. Suffice it to know that the legendary 食神 exists!!!

I find kok kee just ok only nowadays, although it's really good about 20-30 years ago...

The one i like these days is in the coffee shop at the corner of Rangoon Rd and Dorset Rd... it suits my taste [thumbsup] ... texture and taste of the noodle is good, the 1-tons are tastey... soup good, service is good... queue not too long

I find kok kee wanton mee losing it's tastiness compare to more than 10 years ago when i first ate it. I still prefer the chubby uncle's cooking than the skinny uncle's cooking. But $5 a plate and still have to que and self service don't really worth it already. Anyway I used to visit around 3 times a week, now 3 months may not even visit once.

Patronize for 10 over years, price getting more and more ex, noodles getting lesser and char siew getting thinner.

Coz their landed property is getting bigger bigger and their luxury cars are getting bigger cc too... <_<

Frankly I never eaten their wanton noodles before and never will...IMO the best wanton noodles are cooked by my mom... [:)]

Last time she was a kopitiam stall owner operating a wanton mee stall in the 80's era, near the hotel new world where it collapsed...

I remember we use kerosene to fire up the stove to cook the soup and the noodles...and is those black noodles. 1 bowl at $1.20 with 5 wanton and self made charsiew. Every friday my dad would make foochow fishballs to supplement income also. Haha. Duno any bros in their 50s here eaten?? [rolleyes]

one way to confirm whether any bros have eaten your mom's noodle before:

she free to make some nowadays so that we can taste and confirm?? .... thank you

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coz their landed property is getting bigger bigger and their luxury cars are getting bigger cc too...

Frankly I never eaten their wanton noodles before and never will...IMO the best wanton noodles are cooked by my mom...

Last time she was a kopitiam stall owner operating a wanton mee stall in the 80's era, near the hotel new world where it collapsed...

I remember we use kerosene to fire up the stove to cook the soup and the noodles...and is those black noodles. 1 bowl at $1.20 with 5 wanton and self made charsiew. Every friday my dad would make foochow fishballs to supplement income also. Haha. Duno any bros in their 50s here eaten??

Edited by KARTer

Neutral Newbie

No point patronizing this stall already!! $4 small, very small. Char siew 2 piece, Wanton 2 piece.

Now only tourist pay to eat, very highly NOT recommended!

smaller portion very small. ingredients also very stingy. even a kid also feel hungry after eating. its an over-rated store. i give it the thumbs down. not worth it.

ever wondered how much kok kee makes a month on avg?

i too also a fan of kk, but now will only go to satisfy the urge! [rolleyes]

old timers told me the original kk stall was the best, really power!

i rate my mee based on the quality of the noodles and taste (so chilli is a no no!),

hope to see more recommendations in this thread! [thumbsup]

wife always make me queue

haiz....

"fa zhan" (kena punhised by standing )

for 20minutes or more usually

Neutral Newbie

Ya, super How Lian!!!! And the ingredient is like feeding ants! Not worth a Q!

stall owner should rename to call COCKY wanton mee even better

There wantan mee...I ate once in my lifetime....and never ever eat again....overrated and overpriced.....

Just had the Kok Kee noodles about three hrs ago... really, really overated! At $5 per plate (big plate), the portion is soooo small...

Just had the Kok Kee noodles about three hrs ago... really, really overated! At $5 per plate (big plate), the portion is soooo small...

Many other wanton mee stalls have overtaken KK in quality and pricing. I now eat at either one stall at the tiong bahru foodcentre (below the roof top carpark), the kopitiam behind the Cathelic church / Esso station near MRT tracki at AMK (between ave 1 and 3), one at Owen Rd..... KK is overpriced and under-achieved compared with these stalls [:)]

The char siew at the 2nd stall above is heavenly

↡ Advertisement