Hainan Island Tour

Seaweed

I was told before hainan island don't have chicken rice stall. Not being there before not sure wheher true

In Haikou, there are few Hainanese chicken restaurants.  

Wen Zhang after the exit from highway have 3 chicken rice restaurant. Have eaten there, not bad, can compare with SG standard.

But travelled all the way there to eat 'Chicken Rice' ....  :slow:

There are much more varieties of live seafood to eat there in Hainan Island especially in Sanya where 'live' abalone with the size of a small bowl cost only S$8/-. Cooking is on the spot and enjoy your meal.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hainanese chicken rice originate locally back in the 30's beside the Singapore River where busy tongkang trading took place. Seah Street is near to SG river and where most of Hainanese speaking linger around.

That's was where fast food means, eat & goes back to work. So a plate of rice with slice chicken meats. After boiling the chicken, they used to throw away the broth. Someone suggested to use the broth to cook the rice and made it tastier.  

Same for those Hokkien speaking groups. They gathers around Telok Ayer & Amoy Street area and their fast food (lunch) was meat with bone cook with spices in earthen pot over slow fire. That's where "Bak Kut Teh" comes to picture. 

Heard this two dishes from my father. 

I believe the Teochew fast food was porridge with 'kiam chye' (salted vegetable) & salted duck egg. And later they added "Kuay Chap" to the list....

Didn't know about others dialect groups.... ^_^

Nowadays, our children knowledge of fast food were, Mac, KFC, Burger King, .... etc.     :lll._.:

I can confirm the sentence in bold is true. My mum used to tell me they used to stay at Telok Ayer and we are of hokkien dialect.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

not bad leh ... you all also know these kind of things :a-good:  .... i dun even know where is the clan association although i have heard about it ... dunno what goes on there or what ever happened .... :a-panic:  :a-confused:

This one was in the news what....

Some fellow punch another fellow. I not hainanese also know.

Hypersonic

In Haikou, there are few Hainanese chicken restaurants.  

Wen Zhang after the exit from highway have 3 chicken rice restaurant. Have eaten there, not bad, can compare with SG standard.

But travelled all the way there to eat 'Chicken Rice' ....  :slow:

There are much more varieties of live seafood to eat there in Hainan Island especially in Sanya where 'live' abalone with the size of a small bowl cost only S$8/-. Cooking is on the spot and enjoy your meal.

But I heard a lot of story of Hainan, if you don't have local people to bring around or you don't know the market rate.

The  [knife]  [knife] there are very very sharp.. ...Even don't Hainan Chinese tourist also kanan  [knife]  [knife]  (Shanghai friend told me)

Don't talk about foreigners....

• Praise 1

anyone can confirm if our local hainanese chicken rice originated from hainan island?

The last I ask around when I was in haikou, the locals either don't know about this dish or haven't heard of it, sort of concluded that this dish was created in SG by hainanese but not from hainan island itself

If i am not wrong ..............our hainanese chicken rice is actually evoluted from the 文昌鸡 of hainan..........more like a local dish......... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

If i am not wrong ..............our hainanese chicken rice is actually evoluted from the 文昌鸡 of hainan..........more like a local dish......... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

You are hainanese?

• Praise 1

Hainanese chicken rice originate locally back in the 30's beside the Singapore River where busy tongkang trading took place. Seah Street is near to SG river and where most of Hainanese speaking linger around.

That's was where fast food means, eat & goes back to work. So a plate of rice with slice chicken meats. After boiling the chicken, they used to throw away the broth. Someone suggested to use the broth to cook the rice and made it tastier.  

Same for those Hokkien speaking groups. They gathers around Telok Ayer & Amoy Street area and their fast food (lunch) was meat with bone cook with spices in earthen pot over slow fire. That's where "Bak Kut Teh" comes to picture. 

Heard this two dishes from my father. 

I believe the Teochew fast food was porridge with 'kiam chye' (salted vegetable) & salted duck egg. And later they added "Kuay Chap" to the list....

Didn't know about others dialect groups.... ^_^

Nowadays, our children knowledge of fast food were, Mac, KFC, Burger King, .... etc.     :lll._.:

some idea of how it came about but dunk how much truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUIxXImLnCo

yup... they like it tough !! and the chilli sauce also different ... there they use diced ginger whereas here us ground ginger.

go take a look, it definitely look nicer and more developed  than it used to be 10 years ago. ... but I cannot vouch for the ppl there.

and my wife is from Hainan ... and she's married to me ... I still want to have pure hainanese blood running in the family.

as far as I am concerned, those hainanese chicken rice all how siao one ... unless the cook is a hainanese.

and as long as the cook is hainanese, the food can all be labeled hainanese food.

same for all dialect groups.

ps : anyway, I dun like hainanese chk rice ... as long as boiled white chicken I dun eat.

OIC. 

I was told before hainan island don't have chicken rice stall. Not being there before not sure wheher true

I think have.   My ex colleague who went to Hainan island and work for few years told me have.  But their version and ours are different like what Ysc3  mentioned.

Jman888 and uncle2 - you both hainanese?

Who else is Hainanese?  Very comfort to find so many Hainanese  here.  We are the minority dialect group in Singapore.

Who else is Hainanese?  Very comfort to find so many Hainanese  here.  We are the minority dialect group in Singapore.

[nod]  [nod]   :D

Twincharged

OIC.

I think have. My ex colleague who went to Hainan island and work for few years told me have. But their version and ours are different like what Ysc3 mentioned.

Who else is Hainanese? Very comfort to find so many Hainanese here. We are the minority dialect group in Singapore.

Your want to "feel at home" then go shing shiong more often ... Most of the cashiers there speak the same dialect.

Your want to "feel at home" then go shing shiong more often ... Most of the cashiers there speak the same dialect.

[laugh] later they say i seow

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I dun think so... Not asking you to kow-suah them also... Just listen and you will hear them when they converse with each other.

• Praise 1

Cai Lan said hainanese chicken rice originated from SG ! In one of his shows.

the non hainanese @tianmo say they dun call it hainanese chicken in china, so cai lan is right in a way.

i believe it is more of the way they cooked it in china, just boiled the chicken, then come to singapore when people here further 'enrich' the recipe and the taste. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2