• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
139 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:54 PM

Yuan
  • Premium member
    Yuan
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Of late, my last few checks on my engine oil dipstick showed that my engine oil level has increased. This was first discovered about a month ago.

There are 2 tips on the dipstick. I noticed that since last month, the oil level has exceeded the upper tip of the dipstick. First check was in the morning when the engine was cold for more than 8 hours since the car was parked the night before. Did 2 further checks over the course of last few weeks. Level was above the upper tip. The increase was not slightly or too much during those cold or room temperature. There was also no oil leakage found.

However, when the car was driven and parked for a few hours, the oil level exceeded the upper tip by a bigger length (of course engine was still slightly hot and this is understandable).

Not sure whether this should be cause for concern. I know that if oil level drops, we need to take note or go workshop to top up by the same grade and brand engine oil. But for my case, it increases..... sweatdrop.gif

I am using OWS NA engine oil. No grade was stated. First time trying this oil. Been using it for more than 8,500km mileage. My car's mileage is more than 86,000 km.

Hope to have some views from knowledgeable bros in this forum. Thanks! wave.gif
|1994|Legum Baccalaureus-Legum Magister|Financial Prudence|HDB|MedisaveApproveIntegratedPlan-Insurance|Manchester United FC|Genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Specifications-Parts-Accessories|Suzuki Swift GS|Mitsubishi Lancer CS 3|Volkswagen Golf MKVI|Audi A4B9|

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

Bornno1
  • Bornno1
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

maybe a head gasket leak, which means coolant is leaking into your engine oil. Check for any white residue on underneath your engine oil cap or go to a ws and do a compression test.

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

Leepee
  • Leepee
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Maybe overfilled?
Best to go change the engine oil to see any water coolent mixing.

Always heartpain and worried for my car too.

++++++++++++++++++
+ I am handsome hor! +
++++++++++++++++++

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

Kyojin
  • Kyojin
    5th Gear
    Author Image

how soon do you check your dipstick after shutting off the engine? you should let it stand for about 5 min before checking because oil is flowing back into the sump.

if it's indeed overfilled, you should get some sucked out asap. overfilling oil is a bad thing because it will froth up and provide little protection for your engine.

i usually fill up to about 7/8 when i do my oil changes. when the oil gets hot, it will hoover close to about full.

if it's head gasket leak, you'll also find oil in your coolant. and chances are you'll have white smoke/steam coming out of your tailpipe and you'll need to top up your coolant quite often.

Of late, my last few checks on my engine oil dipstick showed that my engine oil level has increased. This was first discovered about a month ago.

There are 2 tips on the dipstick. I noticed that since last month, the oil level has exceeded the upper tip of the dipstick. First check was in the morning when the engine was cold for more than 8 hours since the car was parked the night before. Did 2 further checks over the course of last few weeks. Level was above the upper tip. The increase was not slightly or too much during those cold or room temperature. There was also no oil leakage found.

However, when the car was driven and parked for a few hours, the oil level exceeded the upper tip by a bigger length (of course engine was still slightly hot and this is understandable).

Not sure whether this should be cause for concern. I know that if oil level drops, we need to take note or go workshop to top up by the same grade and brand engine oil. But for my case, it increases..... sweatdrop.gif

I am using OWS NA engine oil. No grade was stated. First time trying this oil. Been using it for more than 8,500km mileage. My car's mileage is more than 86,000 km.

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

Ithunk
  • Ithunk
    Supercharged
    Author Image

ok jus release some engine oil from the center base of the car.....the engine oil level should be level with the 2nd top marking....

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

Ithunk
  • Ithunk
    Supercharged
    Author Image

nothing to worry about if over by abit its ok...but if it is below and i mean the 2nd marking yr in trouble....jus drive or rev the engine and the oil will dissipate

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

Yuan
  • Premium member
    Yuan
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

maybe a head gasket leak, which means coolant is leaking into your engine oil. Check for any white residue on underneath your engine oil cap or go to a ws and do a compression test.

Thanks for all your advice.

Hmmm....what would cause a head gasket leakage?
|1994|Legum Baccalaureus-Legum Magister|Financial Prudence|HDB|MedisaveApproveIntegratedPlan-Insurance|Manchester United FC|Genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Specifications-Parts-Accessories|Suzuki Swift GS|Mitsubishi Lancer CS 3|Volkswagen Golf MKVI|Audi A4B9|

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

Yuan
  • Premium member
    Yuan
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

how soon do you check your dipstick after shutting off the engine? you should let it stand for about 5 min before checking because oil is flowing back into the sump.

if it's indeed overfilled, you should get some sucked out asap. overfilling oil is a bad thing because it will froth up and provide little protection for your engine.

i usually fill up to about 7/8 when i do my oil changes. when the oil gets hot, it will hoover close to about full.

if it's head gasket leak, you'll also find oil in your coolant. and chances are you'll have white smoke/steam coming out of your tailpipe and you'll need to top up your coolant quite often.

It was longer than 5 min after I shut down the engine that I went back to check the oil and dipstick.

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

Yuan
  • Premium member
    Yuan
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

nothing to worry about if over by abit its ok...but if it is below and i mean the 2nd marking yr in trouble....jus drive or rev the engine and the oil will dissipate

Not too much but I won't say it is a lot.....

Hmmm...looks like I will go down to workshop for a check.

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:00 PM

Bornno1
  • Bornno1
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

wear and tear esp for old cars. quite common among COE cars.

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

Yuan
  • Premium member
    Yuan
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

wear and tear esp for old cars. quite common among COE cars.

Thanks....lol....

My car only 4 years old....

I will go for a check.

Appreciate your prompt reply. thumbsup.gif

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

Octopus
  • Premium member
    Octopus
    Supercharged
    Author Image

That is strange....

1) Does the oil on dip stick showing sign of water contamination? Check the dip stick within few minutes after engine shut down (after a short trip), see if oil got milky colour? If so, could be engine head gasket leakage. Radiator fluid any abnormal decrease recently?

2) On a cold engine, start it for 5 sec or so then stop engine. Pull out the dip stick and smell if there's any petrol scent in engine oil. If so, could be fuel injector leaking.

Other that the two checks, I not sure what any other possible cause that would result in engine oil increase....

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

Octopus
  • Premium member
    Octopus
    Supercharged
    Author Image

By the way, in the "VX engine oil in Carrefour" thread I did ask you how come your CS3 takes 3.5 litre per oil change where as mine only 3 litre. Could it be overfilling? sly.gif

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:27 PM

Yuan
  • Premium member
    Yuan
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

By the way, in the "VX engine oil in Carrefour" thread I did ask you how come your CS3 takes 3.5 litre per oil change where as mine only 3 litre. Could it be overfilling? sly.gif

Possible. That could be the reason. No sign of any contamination or milky content.

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:37 PM

Ithunk
  • Ithunk
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Thanks for all your advice.

Hmmm....what would cause a head gasket leakage?

overfilling of engine oil would cause a gasket leak....so it is important not to over fill....car would also be heavier...

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

Fcw75
  • Fcw75
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Since your last oil change is 8500km ago, just go for a early oil change and make sure they pour in the right amount. I always ensure my mechanic does that. In fact, I pour the oil myself into the measuring bottle.

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:54 AM

Yuan
  • Premium member
    Yuan
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

overfilling of engine oil would cause a gasket leak....so it is important not to over fill....car would also be heavier...

Thanks for your information.

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

Yuan
  • Premium member
    Yuan
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Since your last oil change is 8500km ago, just go for a early oil change and make sure they pour in the right amount. I always ensure my mechanic does that. In fact, I pour the oil myself into the measuring bottle.

I am going for an early servicing. Probably this week. Thanks for your sharing.

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks....lol....

My car only 4 years old....

I will go for a check.

Appreciate your prompt reply. thumbsup.gif

==================

Oh this is very serious. Anytime your engine cud explode & cause fire. U better not drive anymore. Immediately send to agent for a engine overhaul.

But seriously. The increase is sometimes caused by moisture accumulating in the engine oil due to condensation.

If u r those slow slow type driver, the moisture cannot get burned off. Try to take your car for a long fast drive & see if the oil level drops back to the normal level. Then u have just burned off all that moisture that has accumulated in the oil sump.

But when & how u check is also important. Must always b the same style. If u leave it overnight, the level sud b slightly higher. If just a short while after u switch off engine, the level sud b lower.

Best is to check after parking overnight for a more accurate reading.

Anyway a reading slightly over the "max" mark is ok. Just not too much.

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

Yuan
  • Premium member
    Yuan
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

==================

Oh this is very serious. Anytime your engine cud explode & cause fire. U better not drive anymore. Immediately send to agent for a engine overhaul.

But seriously. The increase is sometimes caused by moisture accumulating in the engine oil due to condensation.

If u r those slow slow type driver, the moisture cannot get burned off. Try to take your car for a long fast drive & see if the oil level drops back to the normal level. Then u have just burned off all that moisture that has accumulated in the oil sump.

But when & how u check is also important. Must always b the same style. If u leave it overnight, the level sud b slightly higher. If just a short while after u switch off engine, the level sud b lower.

Best is to check after parking overnight for a more accurate reading.

Anyway a reading slightly over the "max" mark is ok. Just not too much.

It is over the mark by a bit. Not too much and not too little to render it as a micron.

Anyway, I am popping by my mechanic by this week.

Wah, you wake up so early? sly.gif

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

Tags: Increase, engine, level, found and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users