Increase of engine oil level found in dipstick

Yuan

Of late, my last few checks on my engine oil dipstick showed that my engine oil level has increased. This was first discovered about a month ago.

There are 2 tips on the dipstick. I noticed that since last month, the oil level has exceeded the upper tip of the dipstick. First check was in the morning when the engine was cold for more than 8 hours since the car was parked the night before. Did 2 further checks over the course of last few weeks. Level was above the upper tip. The increase was not slightly or too much during those cold or room temperature. There was also no oil leakage found.

However, when the car was driven and parked for a few hours, the oil level exceeded the upper tip by a bigger length (of course engine was still slightly hot and this is understandable).

Not sure whether this should be cause for concern. I know that if oil level drops, we need to take note or go workshop to top up by the same grade and brand engine oil. But for my case, it increases..... [sweatdrop]

I am using OWS NA engine oil. No grade was stated. First time trying this oil. Been using it for more than 8,500km mileage. My car's mileage is more than 86,000 km.

Hope to have some views from knowledgeable bros in this forum. Thanks! [wave]

↡ Advertisement

maybe a head gasket leak, which means coolant is leaking into your engine oil. Check for any white residue on underneath your engine oil cap or go to a ws and do a compression test.

Maybe overfilled?

Best to go change the engine oil to see any water coolent mixing.

Always heartpain and worried for my car too.

how soon do you check your dipstick after shutting off the engine? you should let it stand for about 5 min before checking because oil is flowing back into the sump.

if it's indeed overfilled, you should get some sucked out asap. overfilling oil is a bad thing because it will froth up and provide little protection for your engine.

i usually fill up to about 7/8 when i do my oil changes. when the oil gets hot, it will hoover close to about full.

if it's head gasket leak, you'll also find oil in your coolant. and chances are you'll have white smoke/steam coming out of your tailpipe and you'll need to top up your coolant quite often.

Of late, my last few checks on my engine oil dipstick showed that my engine oil level has increased. This was first discovered about a month ago.

There are 2 tips on the dipstick. I noticed that since last month, the oil level has exceeded the upper tip of the dipstick. First check was in the morning when the engine was cold for more than 8 hours since the car was parked the night before. Did 2 further checks over the course of last few weeks. Level was above the upper tip. The increase was not slightly or too much during those cold or room temperature. There was also no oil leakage found.

However, when the car was driven and parked for a few hours, the oil level exceeded the upper tip by a bigger length (of course engine was still slightly hot and this is understandable).

Not sure whether this should be cause for concern. I know that if oil level drops, we need to take note or go workshop to top up by the same grade and brand engine oil. But for my case, it increases..... [sweatdrop]

I am using OWS NA engine oil. No grade was stated. First time trying this oil. Been using it for more than 8,500km mileage. My car's mileage is more than 86,000 km.

ok jus release some engine oil from the center base of the car.....the engine oil level should be level with the 2nd top marking....

nothing to worry about if over by abit its ok...but if it is below and i mean the 2nd marking yr in trouble....jus drive or rev the engine and the oil will dissipate

maybe a head gasket leak, which means coolant is leaking into your engine oil. Check for any white residue on underneath your engine oil cap or go to a ws and do a compression test.

Thanks for all your advice.

Hmmm....what would cause a head gasket leakage?

how soon do you check your dipstick after shutting off the engine? you should let it stand for about 5 min before checking because oil is flowing back into the sump.

if it's indeed overfilled, you should get some sucked out asap. overfilling oil is a bad thing because it will froth up and provide little protection for your engine.

i usually fill up to about 7/8 when i do my oil changes. when the oil gets hot, it will hoover close to about full.

if it's head gasket leak, you'll also find oil in your coolant. and chances are you'll have white smoke/steam coming out of your tailpipe and you'll need to top up your coolant quite often.

It was longer than 5 min after I shut down the engine that I went back to check the oil and dipstick.

nothing to worry about if over by abit its ok...but if it is below and i mean the 2nd marking yr in trouble....jus drive or rev the engine and the oil will dissipate

Not too much but I won't say it is a lot.....

Hmmm...looks like I will go down to workshop for a check.

wear and tear esp for old cars. quite common among COE cars.

Thanks....lol....

My car only 4 years old....

I will go for a check.

Appreciate your prompt reply. [thumbsup]

That is strange....

1) Does the oil on dip stick showing sign of water contamination? Check the dip stick within few minutes after engine shut down (after a short trip), see if oil got milky colour? If so, could be engine head gasket leakage. Radiator fluid any abnormal decrease recently?

2) On a cold engine, start it for 5 sec or so then stop engine. Pull out the dip stick and smell if there's any petrol scent in engine oil. If so, could be fuel injector leaking.

Other that the two checks, I not sure what any other possible cause that would result in engine oil increase....

By the way, in the "VX engine oil in Carrefour" thread I did ask you how come your CS3 takes 3.5 litre per oil change where as mine only 3 litre. Could it be overfilling? [sly]

By the way, in the "VX engine oil in Carrefour" thread I did ask you how come your CS3 takes 3.5 litre per oil change where as mine only 3 litre. Could it be overfilling? [sly]

Possible. That could be the reason. No sign of any contamination or milky content.

Thanks for all your advice.

Hmmm....what would cause a head gasket leakage?

overfilling of engine oil would cause a gasket leak....so it is important not to over fill....car would also be heavier...

Since your last oil change is 8500km ago, just go for a early oil change and make sure they pour in the right amount. I always ensure my mechanic does that. In fact, I pour the oil myself into the measuring bottle.

overfilling of engine oil would cause a gasket leak....so it is important not to over fill....car would also be heavier...

Thanks for your information.

Since your last oil change is 8500km ago, just go for a early oil change and make sure they pour in the right amount. I always ensure my mechanic does that. In fact, I pour the oil myself into the measuring bottle.

I am going for an early servicing. Probably this week. Thanks for your sharing.

↡ Advertisement