Increase of engine oil level found in dipstick

Yuan

Thanks....lol....

My car only 4 years old....

I will go for a check.

Appreciate your prompt reply. [thumbsup]

==================

Oh this is very serious. Anytime your engine cud explode & cause fire. U better not drive anymore. Immediately send to agent for a engine overhaul.

But seriously. The increase is sometimes caused by moisture accumulating in the engine oil due to condensation.

If u r those slow slow type driver, the moisture cannot get burned off. Try to take your car for a long fast drive & see if the oil level drops back to the normal level. Then u have just burned off all that moisture that has accumulated in the oil sump.

But when & how u check is also important. Must always b the same style. If u leave it overnight, the level sud b slightly higher. If just a short while after u switch off engine, the level sud b lower.

Best is to check after parking overnight for a more accurate reading.

Anyway a reading slightly over the "max" mark is ok. Just not too much.

↡ Advertisement

==================

Oh this is very serious. Anytime your engine cud explode & cause fire. U better not drive anymore. Immediately send to agent for a engine overhaul.

But seriously. The increase is sometimes caused by moisture accumulating in the engine oil due to condensation.

If u r those slow slow type driver, the moisture cannot get burned off. Try to take your car for a long fast drive & see if the oil level drops back to the normal level. Then u have just burned off all that moisture that has accumulated in the oil sump.

But when & how u check is also important. Must always b the same style. If u leave it overnight, the level sud b slightly higher. If just a short while after u switch off engine, the level sud b lower.

Best is to check after parking overnight for a more accurate reading.

Anyway a reading slightly over the "max" mark is ok. Just not too much.

It is over the mark by a bit. Not too much and not too little to render it as a micron.

Anyway, I am popping by my mechanic by this week.

Wah, you wake up so early? [sly]

By the way, in the "VX engine oil in Carrefour" thread I did ask you how come your CS3 takes 3.5 litre per oil change where as mine only 3 litre. Could it be overfilling? [sly]

================

Maybe the new ws overfill his oil.

that is a very common problem with many ws. I always give my mech just enough or slightly less than required for EO & ATF.

Later I will slowly do a top-up to the correct level. Old mech like to overfill as those old cars burn oil so its safer. Very high EO or ATF can damage the engine or autobox.

newer cars with tight engines hardly burn any oil unless its whacked everyday.

My car dont need to top-up EO for the full 10K km till the next service. Thats why I am considering changing my 40weight to 30weight oil.

Thanks for your information.

===============

Its quite unlikely that a 4yo modern car wil have gasket leak unless yr car overheated & the water dried up causing the head to warp.

More likely its some other reason.

If its slightly over the max mark, no worries. Just drive as normal as long as there is no milky colour in the EO or oily residue in the radiator water.

There is a device to "smell" the rad water to see if got hydrocarbons in the water but I seldom see any ws here using it.

They run engine till hot & suck some rad water into a tube with some coloured liquid inside. If the colour changes, it has detected hydrocarbons which indicates a gasket leak.

I am going for an early servicing. Probably this week. Thanks for your sharing.

=============

Aiyah dont waste your $$$ lah. If no other indication of other problems, just drive till 10K km next service.

=============

Aiyah dont waste your $$$ lah. If no other indication of other problems, just drive till 10K km next service.

Thanks for your advice.

My treat on the next meetup. And I am serious..... :D

===============

Its quite unlikely that a 4yo modern car wil have gasket leak unless yr car overheated & the water dried up causing the head to warp.

More likely its some other reason.

If its slightly over the max mark, no worries. Just drive as normal as long as there is no milky colour in the EO or oily residue in the radiator water.

There is a device to "smell" the rad water to see if got hydrocarbons in the water but I seldom see any ws here using it.

They run engine till hot & suck some rad water into a tube with some coloured liquid inside. If the colour changes, it has detected hydrocarbons which indicates a gasket leak.

That is what I think so.

It is over the mark by a bit. Not too much and not too little to render it as a micron.

Anyway, I am popping by my mechanic by this week.

Wah, you wake up so early? [sly]

===============

Slightly over is fine. Dont panic. Just drive as normal & relax.

U also wake up so early. I going to buy bfast soon. Just needed to check some emails 1st. [:)]

Thanks for your advice.

My treat on the next meetup. And I am serious..... :D

================

Hahaha. No need lah.

We just share some friendly advice to learn more as we go along.

I also benefitted alot from car forums & learn as I go. [grin]

===============

Slightly over is fine. Dont panic. Just drive as normal & relax.

U also wake up so early. I going to buy bfast soon. Just needed to check some emails 1st. [:)]

Wah....Loving hubby and father..... [laugh][laugh]

================

Hahaha. No need lah.

We just share some friendly advice to learn more as we go along.

I also benefitted alot from car forums & learn as I go. [grin]

[thumbsup][thumbsup] I hope to work something out next week.

So far I have never come acrosss any car workshop measuring the engine oil when doing replacment but is widely use in motorcycle shops when doing top ups.

post-272-1270949736_thumb.jpg

So far I have never come acrosss any car workshop measuring the engine oil when doing replacment but is widely use in motorcycle shops when doing top ups.

No leh, quite a few workshops use the measuring bottle. I went to Riverview and Auto spritze and they all use that. The mechanic that I go to now also use that. As he know I quite particular abt the amount, I pour the new oil into the bottle myself.

================

Maybe the new ws overfill his oil.

that is a very common problem with many ws. I always give my mech just enough or slightly less than required for EO & ATF.

Later I will slowly do a top-up to the correct level. Old mech like to overfill as those old cars burn oil so its safer. Very high EO or ATF can damage the engine or autobox.

newer cars with tight engines hardly burn any oil unless its whacked everyday.

My car dont need to top-up EO for the full 10K km till the next service. Thats why I am considering changing my 40weight to 30weight oil.

yes that is correct...very high EO or ATF can damage the engine or autobox.

Edited by Ithunk
↡ Advertisement