Increase of engine oil level found in dipstick

Yuan

if coolant leak... good luck to him...

anyway, collant mixed with engine oil will give the kind of milky colour... just like water added into any oil...

No milky colour found or discovered.

↡ Advertisement

I know of another mechanic also based in AMK Industrial Park 2 who uses such method to extract engine oil.

But I heard this is not as effective as draining through the plug.

Maybe someone can clarify or share some thoughts/views.

Frankly, I also prefer to drain the used oil thru' the plug. That's what the drain plug is for isn't it? :D

it could be because your fuel is leaking into the engine oil, diluting it. usually water entering the engine will look like 'mayonnaise'

i fill my engine oil to the middle or closing the 3/4 mark on the dipstick. the rest is left for expansion.

overfilling can result in aeration of the oil, or cause the engine to be sluggish to respond.

it could be because your fuel is leaking into the engine oil, diluting it. usually water entering the engine will look like 'mayonnaise'

i fill my engine oil to the middle or closing the 3/4 mark on the dipstick. the rest is left for expansion.

overfilling can result in aeration of the oil, or cause the engine to be sluggish to respond.

Thanks for your sharing bro! [thumbsup]

Will check it....

I know of another mechanic also based in AMK Industrial Park 2 who uses such method to extract engine oil.

But I heard this is not as effective as draining through the plug.

Maybe someone can clarify or share some thoughts/views.

==================

I wud prefer to drain tru the plug cos most of the sediment sud settle near there & opening the plug wil release the contaminants out quickly.

===============

Too high level of EO wil cause "piston slap" where the bottom of the piston wil hit the oil. This can cause severe damage to the engine.

Another result is the oil wil leak out tru the valve stems causing lots of white smoke when this oil is expelled tru the exhaust manifold & out the exhaust pipe.

==================

I wud prefer to drain tru the plug cos most of the sediment sud settle near there & opening the plug wil release the contaminants out quickly.

That was what my old mechanic told me.

That was what my old mechanic told me.

================

1 thing I noticed is that nobody here ever changes the plug washer whenever they drain EO.

I hear it recommended by so many foreign mechs but so far, neither myself nor any other pple here encountered any problems of leaking cos of washer damaged? [confused]

From my observation to date, water temp remains normal.

This morning I also check my exhaust. No white fumes.

No contamination found in engine oil.

Dear Brother Yuan,

Me receive below advise sometime ago from a guru on morning exhuast smoke checks.

About doing this test on your veh, about asking someone to start your engine while you stand behind the car and observe the exhaust pipe for blue smoke? This test will comfirm if its valve seal problem.

Some background of Valve stem seal matters for your reference: Hopes not confusing you.

The valve seal is actually located at the cylinder head. Usually it gets harden or wear and tear and oil seeped through when engine is stopped and not running. Once engine started, it'll burn at the combustion chamber and you'll then see blue smoke at the tail-pipe and when valve-stem gets heated up, it expands and that will stop the oil from further seeping through the seals.

Not fixing this problem in the long run will cause sticky valves, that means oil will get burnt in the combustion chamber and screwed up the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust valves and by the time it will be even more costly to fix.

Mine case was reverse of yours, loosing engine oil over time but ,yet, no leak and smoke out from exhaust...!

Already coming to a year... yet to find root cause....Very Sad indeed...! [bigcry]

Edited by Newcar

Dear Brother Yuan,

Me receive below advise sometime ago from a guru on morning exhuast smoke checks.

About doing this test on your veh, about asking someone to start your engine while you stand behind the car and observe the exhaust pipe for blue smoke? This test will comfirm if its valve seal problem.

Some background of Valve stem seal matters for your reference: Hopes not confusing you.

The valve seal is actually located at the cylinder head. Usually it gets harden or wear and tear and oil seeped through when engine is stopped and not running. Once engine started, it'll burn at the combustion chamber and you'll then see blue smoke at the tail-pipe and when valve-stem gets heated up, it expands and that will stop the oil from further seeping through the seals.

Not fixing this problem in the long run will cause sticky valves, that means oil will get burnt in the combustion chamber and screwed up the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust valves and by the time it will be even more costly to fix.

Mine case was reverse of yours, loosing engine oil over time but ,yet, no leak and smoke out from exhaust...!

Already coming to a year... yet to find root cause....Very Sad indeed...! [bigcry]

Thanks for your sharing. [thumbsup] Will take note of it.

================

1 thing I noticed is that nobody here ever changes the plug washer whenever they drain EO.

I hear it recommended by so many foreign mechs but so far, neither myself nor any other pple here encountered any problems of leaking cos of washer damaged? [confused]

Maybe people don't even know when washers are damaged or look out for tell tale signs/symptoms.

errr, tell tale signs is ur parking lot got oil stains and ur engine oil level drop? :D

Er, my oil level increase leh. :D

And my parking lot very clean and no oil stain.

shouldn't whatever sediment be filtered off by the oil filter liao ?

Oil filter only filter engine oil after passing thru oil pump.

Sump -> oil pump -> oil filter -> engine various component -> sump.

The sump may contain some particle which return from circulation, not yet filtered by oil filter. This is one reason oil pump may be subjected to higher wear then engine component because it is pumping 'dirty' oil all the time.

I hope your oil pump is not creating air bubbles and they may cause virtual rise in the oil level.

What would cause the oil pump to create air bubbles?

Low oil level, low pressure, screen blockage, diluted oil, low vicosity oil,damge pump gasket, etc

↡ Advertisement