Bubbles in radiator

Ruggles

Neutral Newbie

Hi all recently i was testing the integrity of my fl n16 sunny's cooling system. Wat i did was open the rad cap after park overnight. Noted water slightly below the lower brim of rad. Start engine & idle. During initial idle the water level started rising till overflow the brim however when its hot ard 1/2 on the temp gauge & fan started running the water level started going down & bubbles started forming on the water surface. When fan stop the water level rises again & cycle repeats. Is this normal?

↡ Advertisement

its normal... that is why u only fill the radiator water up to the max mark at the reservoir. Not FULL.

If your radiator needs more water, it will wirthraw the water from the reservoir, when it has too much water, it will flow back to the reservoir. Thats the use of the radiator reservoir...

Neutral Newbie

Hi chiangauto i believe u r right. So if its not normal is it serious? Wat can be done to fix it? Thks

Hi chiangauto i believe u r right. So if its not normal is it serious? Wat can be done to fix it? Thks

Dont be stupid. Chiangauto doesn't know s--t what was happening. There is nothing wrong with your radiator or your engine.

Your radiator system is supposed to operate at slightly high pressure which in turn will make the water's boiling point higher.

The phenomenon you're seeing of water level rising and dropping is due to water expanding and contracting when heated and cooled.

So put back your radiator cap and drive as normal.

Neutral Newbie

Hi i accept the explanation abt the rise & fall of the water level however wat abt the presence of bubbles? Thks

Hi i accept the explanation abt the rise & fall of the water level however wat abt the presence of bubbles? Thks

Obviously housework has escaped you.

Go to the kitchen and boil some water first before I continue. Just to add: Watch the water boil too.

Edited by Gendut

With cap off the cooling system water will boil at 100 deg C. The purpose of the cap is to pressurised the system so that cooling water will have higher boiling point. By adding anti-freeze the boiling temp can be a\further increase.

Without knowledge of how the cooling system works and behaviours , how are you going to carry out the system integrity test.

the tiny bubbles that make the radiator "foam up" is the result of exhaust gas leaking into the radiator.

wah... u mod ur car until so jialat ahh?? people turbo charged car connect the exhaust fume to intercooler but u connect ur exhaust to radiator? [laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tigershark1976

Dont be stupid. Chiangauto doesn't know s--t what was happening. There is nothing wrong with your radiator or your engine.

Your radiator system is supposed to operate at slightly high pressure which in turn will make the water's boiling point higher.

The phenomenon you're seeing of water level rising and dropping is due to water expanding and contracting when heated and cooled.

So put back your radiator cap and drive as normal.

no lah, chiangauto upgraded his turbo liao.. but try to save money on intercooler, so he directed his exhaust to radiator directly instead. water cooling more efficient mah.... 1st in SG, probably 1st in the world as well [laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tigershark1976

Neutral Newbie

hi ruggles

i think it is normal, unless when u open ur rad cap after overnight park and u got to top up abt a glass of water, then got problem.

when the radiator is cool, the water level in the radiator is always below the brim, abt 3 cm down, the the resrvoir level at max line. as long as ur coolant reservoir nv decrese fast then its fine.

Neutral Newbie

maybe chiangauto always have to think so deep that he failed to deduce simple problems....a blown head gasket against a missing rad cap?both give blubbles but one cost a hand and a leg to fix and the another one almost free.. [laugh]

To think that he troubleshoots other peoples car! It just gives me the shudders.

http://dennischiang.blogspot.com/

WHAT??? is it coincident that the workshop shares the same name as him so he put the link in his signature or he is really related to the workshop? or maybe some competitors trying to screwup the workshop reputation?? I really cannot believe someone with technical background would say radiator water bubbling caused by exhaust gas leaked into radiator!

Edited by Tigershark1976

Lets give him the benefit of doubt, he maybe referring to combustion gases leaking into the cooling system via the cylinder head gasket. We must not assume that all mechanics have the opportunity to undergo formal or approved training programms.

Edited by Yeobh

Lets give him the benefit of doubt, he maybe referring to combustion gases leaking into the cooling system via the cylinder head gasket. We must not assume that all mechanics have the opportunity to undergo formal or approved training programms.

Noted Yeobh. But as a professional in the industry to give:

"the tiny bubbles that make the radiator "foam up" is the result of exhaust gas leaking into the radiator."

without any other alternative possibilities is at the very least, mischievious.

bro, think u r simply too kind...