Volvo S60 crashes during safety demonstration

Safety is expected when you're Volvo, and when something goes wrong it's particularly embarrassing. Such was the case this week when media were invited to a demonstration of one of Volvo's latest latest safety technologies. The collision warning system on the S60 is supposed to detect an impending impacts and then autonomously apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a halt, like this. Except it didn't!

The S60 was launched at 30 mph toward the back of a parked truck and the crowd watched as it rolled straight into it without ever braking. Volvo representatives later claimed human error in the preparation of the vehicle for the test. On the plus side, the car showed no apparent damage to the passenger compartment, again demonstrating that, even if a Volvo does crash, it will protect its occupants. In the meantime, we'll just to go back to being active participants in the driving process. Check out the video after the jump. Hats off to all the tipsters!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/07/volvo-s...olli/#continued

[source: Wired, YouTube]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

well this goes to show that all electronics, no matter how high tech they are, do fail. best is using the driver's own two feet to control.

Maybe the metal guard at the rear of the lorry is insignificant to be detected.

Or of course the human error of setting the system off, thinking it was set on. You know how to keep turing on/off a certain feature until you are confused of its status.

30mph is around 50kph only leh....

and it already sustained such damages....

well, the same experiment was done for Mercedes' Distronic Plus Radar Guided Cruise control....

they also crashed the S-Class....

Reported: Driver forgot to on the safety guidance system....

meaning, you gotta on all the tech gizmos on the S-Class, before you can operate them....

this being a safety feature, is just like saying you gotta activate the airbag with a switch before it inflates....

utter nonsense....

well this goes to show that all electronics, no matter how high tech they are, do fail. best is using the driver's own two feet to control.

That's right, if everything depends on electronics to work, human reaction will be slower and human will become more stupid as a result. Even if the car comes with the best gadget but there are switches to on/ff the operation, if driver forgot to activate them and mistaken that they have, that is a losing deal.

Best is still to depends on our own human instinct. No matter how intelligent electronics gadgets are, sometimes, still can't beat human...

Yes, I do agree that some do really help to reduce accidents drastically, like the fool proof ABS or EBD, and also the long serviced traction control...

Turbocharged

30mph is around 50kph only leh....

and it already sustained such damages....

well, the same experiment was done for Mercedes' Distronic Plus Radar Guided Cruise control....

they also crashed the S-Class....

Reported: Driver forgot to on the safety guidance system....

meaning, you gotta on all the tech gizmos on the S-Class, before you can operate them....

this being a safety feature, is just like saying you gotta activate the airbag with a switch before it inflates....

utter nonsense....

i will say this damage is pretty mild consider what it hit.

all those are brake systems....

fortunately we don't have to turn them on separately via a switch, like a cruise control....

imagine the Mercedes S-class have so many features and gizmos in the car....

switching them all on and using all the features in the car will probably be harder to fly a Boeing 747!!!

in a real life situation,

if you're gonna e-brake from a stationary trailer in front of you,

you'll probably jam the brakes, causing the car to nosedive quite severely,

the impact will be much worse than what you see in the video, without the car bothering to attempt to stop....

when the car nosedive due to the braking forces, the front portion of the car has a lower total surface area to dissipate the impact crash forces,

so the whole front will probably be under the trailers rear, and all crumpled up....

the crumple zones are there so that the front portion of the car crumples to absorb the crash impact,

however, for cars with really short bonnet, if it crumples all the way, the impact will reach the passenger compartment....

so in a real accident, say at 80kph, cars with longer bonnets will probably survive the accident better....

Safety is expected when you're Volvo, and when something goes wrong it's particularly embarrassing. Such was the case this week when media were invited to a demonstration of one of Volvo's latest latest safety technologies. The collision warning system on the S60 is supposed to detect an impending impacts and then autonomously apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a halt, like this. Except it didn't!

The S60 was launched at 30 mph toward the back of a parked truck and the crowd watched as it rolled straight into it without ever braking. Volvo representatives later claimed human error in the preparation of the vehicle for the test. On the plus side, the car showed no apparent damage to the passenger compartment, again demonstrating that, even if a Volvo does crash, it will protect its occupants. In the meantime, we'll just to go back to being active participants in the driving process. Check out the video after the jump. Hats off to all the tipsters!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/07/volvo-s...olli/#continued

[source: Wired, YouTube]

On the candid side, it makes me wonder whether they have started introducing Geely parts in their latest safety technology?

Regards,

Turbocharged
(edited)

in a real life situation,

if you're gonna e-brake from a stationary trailer in front of you,

you'll probably jam the brakes, causing the car to nosedive quite severely,

the impact will be much worse than what you see in the video, without the car bothering to attempt to stop....

when the car nosedive due to the braking forces, the front portion of the car has a lower total surface area to dissipate the impact crash forces,

so the whole front will probably be under the trailers rear, and all crumpled up....

the crumple zones are there so that the front portion of the car crumples to absorb the crash impact,

however, for cars with really short bonnet, if it crumples all the way, the impact will reach the passenger compartment....

so in a real accident, say at 80kph, cars with longer bonnets will probably survive the accident better....

apparently this Volvo did not even brake.

plus look at the pic and location of crash again. no way for anycar with bonnets to nose dive under the trailer rear.

Edited by Joseph22

hi...

do read my post carefully....

line 4- without the car (Volvo S60) bothering to stop....

and i've seen accidents before on our roads, a normal Altis whole bonnet under a Toyota Dyna pickup truck...

don't even have to be a trailer lor....

i think if trailer, the whole car go under the wheels of the truck....

What he says was in a real life situation... I do agree his logical explanation which makes sense, but not all cars equipped with auto sensing and applies brakes for the driver, this technology is limited to high end brands only... I believed such technology will definitely work well in countries with no speed limit highways but in local context, drivers play a more important role...

But if the electronic fails, it is as good as equal to none...

every car will nose dive under heavy braking/ deceleration....

as for Volvo's safety system, i think it only works at speeds below 30kph (slow speeds), and it's unlike Mercedes system whereby it maintains a safe pre-set distance (you gotta set it yourself again manually), from the vehicle in front...and if the vehicle in front e-brakes,

your car (Mercedes with the Distronic Plus) will brake the car for you till 0kph if necessary....but on normal circumstances, it'll brake rather gently....so you're in for a smooth ride....you can use this system for slow traffic or traffic jams....

no more movement of your feet!!!

Turbocharged

hi...

do read my post carefully....

line 4- without the car (Volvo S60) bothering to stop....

and i've seen accidents before on our roads, a normal Altis whole bonnet under a Toyota Dyna pickup truck...

don't even have to be a trailer lor....

i think if trailer, the whole car go under the wheels of the truck....

I see a Volvo on the road hitting a Pickup truck on highway before, a part from bonnet bended, nothing happen. trailer? look at the trailer againt leh. tell me how is the car going to nose dive under it when the whole rear plateform is lower than even the tire of Volvo.

↡ Advertisement