High cost of living in SG

Speedz76

Are we priced out of living in SG?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Are we priced out of living in SG?

• OMFG, of course we are!!
    • No, its very affordable living here
    • I dun really care

It's becoz of the sub-letting the stall to other hawkers. There were previously talks on stopping hawkers from doing so. Dunno how it has progress into. For example NEA lease the stall to hawker A for $600/mth and Hawker A illegally sub-let the stall to Hawker B for $1500/mth...what do you think will happen to hawker food prices?

This kind of black market for subletting exists because there is a shortage leh. You think Hawker B wants to pay 1500 if he can find a 600/mth stall?

And even if they do clamp down on subletting, you think hawker A whose stall is worth 1500 per mth based his food charges on 1500 or 600?

↡ Advertisement

You never notice meh? You go around eat zichar order food like horfun...used to have lots of ingredients like seafood and slices of pork...now, the shrimp so small like size of 50cent coin and only a few pieces....pork slices replaced with thin fishcake slices. Really cmi. The hawker dare not raise prices, worried that ppl will runaway. Give this kinda sub-par food standard. Those zichar in coffee shop ones pay very high rentals.

Come, let me intro u to the zi char stall near my place. Ingredients remains the same since I ate there when I was very very very young. The price increase but ingredients remain the same. But the cooking lose out a bit if its the kids cooking.

post-2654-0-67352600-1462684578_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-93573900-1462684560_thumb.jpg

• Praise 4

This kind of black market for subletting exists because there is a shortage leh. You think Hawker B wants to pay 1500 if he can find a 600/mth stall?

And even if they do clamp down on subletting, you think hawker A whose stall is worth 1500 per mth based his food charges on 1500 or 600?

Mostly is because foreigners cannot rent hawker stalls. Only for Singaporean or PR. 

Come, let me intro u to the zi char stall near my place. Ingredients remains the same since I ate there when I was very very very young. The price increase but ingredients remain the same. But the cooking lose out a bit if its the kids cooking.

This one is famous for the beef horfun is it? Name quite familiar.

Given what you mentioned Hawker A would close shop in no time if his food charges is based on $1500/mth. For one simple reason he has to compete with other hawkers in the hawker center.

Given what you mentioned Hawker A would close shop in no time if his food charges is based on $1500/mth. For one simple reason he has to compete with other hawkers in the hawker center.

Actually hor, I know of a hawker, able to survive on $2,100/mth rent. Its a corner unit, directly lease from NEA.

Actually hor, I know of a hawker, able to survive on $2,100/mth rent. Its a corner unit, directly lease from NEA.

He gave me a scenerio mah. If hawkers in a hawker center pay the same rent there's competition. Any hawker confident to raise price or drop standard they will stand to loose.

I know of 1st generation hawkers pay less rent in certain parts of Singapore. Their MP in the area help "fight" to keep their rental low becoz they are quite old liao and becoz to win votes. If you ask me there are many different scenerios different backgrounds. If want to apple to apple compare best is compare within hawker center in the same area.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

He gave me a scenerio mah. If hawkers in a hawker center pay the same rent there's competition. Any hawker confident to raise price or drop standard they will stand to loose.

I know of 1st generation hawkers pay less rent in certain parts of Singapore. Their MP in the area help "fight" to keep their rental low becoz they are quite old liao and becoz to win votes. If you ask me there are many different scenerios different backgrounds. If want to apple to apple compare best is compare within hawker center in the same area.

The next door unit of the $2,100/mth cost $800/mth. Same hawker centre. Golden Mile hawker centre aka "Army Market". I am a regular there. Lunch and dinner settle there for the past 12 years. Most hawkers there know me, so they willing to share their rentals with me.

• Praise 1

The next door unit of the $2,100/mth cost $800/mth. Same hawker centre. Golden Mile hawker centre aka "Army Market". I am a regular there. Lunch and dinner settle there for the past 12 years. Most hawkers there know me, so they willing to share their rentals with me.

Your picture looks like a corner unit. Is it the same floor area as the next unit? Coz usually zichar stall rent a bigger unit.

I used to frequent the one a Redhill market and hawker center (near the Redhill mrt). After the previous renovation they told me is $600/mth. It's some time ago so rental could have went up. I also heard sauces, spices and uncooked food prices keep rising which they find it tough not to raise prices.

Your picture looks like a corner unit. Is it the same floor area as the next unit? Coz usually zichar stall rent a bigger unit.

I used to frequent the one a Redhill market and hawker center (near the Redhill mrt). After the previous renovation they told me is $600/mth. It's some time ago so rental could have went up. I also heard sauces, spices and uncooked food prices keep rising which they find it tough not to raise prices.

That picture is not a hawker stall lah. That zichar is in a coffee shop.

I dont have photo of the hawker stall. They are of the same size. Just that one is corner unit and one is not. Both leased from NEA. Corner unit $2,100/mth. Non corner unit $800/mth. Dont ask me why, have to ask NEA. Same hawker centre, side by side unit.

• Praise 1

That picture is not a hawker stall lah. That zichar is in a coffee shop.

I dont have photo of the hawker stall. They are of the same size. Just that one is corner unit and one is not. Both leased from NEA. Corner unit $2,100/mth. Non corner unit $800/mth. Dont ask me why, have to ask NEA. Same hawker centre, side by side unit.

It's about where the stall is located. Haha...

Mostly is because foreigners cannot rent hawker stalls. Only for Singaporean or PR. 

there are loads of PR's now in Singapore too now..... so one can imagine.....they might be vying for the hawker stores too....

Also we local's complain that prices are rising (I fully agree) and that our pay packets are in stagnation ; wonder why still foreigners still wanna come and set up home here, even now their kids public school fees/medicals  have gone up, there  is the X factor for sure here that attracts them to settle down here; I know one foreigner whom has EP and is now struggling to put his kids thru' JC and his Company is not doing well too and cut his pay and he downgrade from condo to 3 room HDB flat now; just to save $1000/- monthly; I think all across the board majority people have been affected in the last 2 years; Just sharing and Chit-chatting my $0.02        

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 2

there are loads of PR's now in Singapore too now..... so one can imagine.....they might be vying for the hawker stores too....

Also we local's complain that prices are rising (I fully agree) and that our pay packets are in stagnation ; wonder why still foreigners still wanna come and set up home here, even now their kids public school fees/medicals  have gone up, there  is the X factor for sure here that attracts them to settle down here; I know one foreigner whom has EP and is now struggling to put his kids thru' JC and his Company is not doing well too and cut his pay and he downgrade from condo to 3 room HDB flat now; just to save $1000/- monthly; I think all across the board majority people have been affected in the last 2 years; Just sharing and Chit-chatting my $0.02        

Most foreigners from Asia I know who setup home here, cos of kids education. Most of them will leave SG after their kids finish Uni.

Ang mo and Malaysians are different. Those who setup home here will stay here permanently.

• Praise 1

So how long before we can hire Obama to parliament?

Cheaper than most ministers too

Parliament maybe not

But I heard he can now run for presidency in SG

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3