High cost of living in SG

Speedz76

Are we priced out of living in SG?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Are we priced out of living in SG?

• OMFG, of course we are!!
    • No, its very affordable living here
    • I dun really care

5th Gear

You very sure once the vote is against PAP, Singaporean will not have all these kind of s**t?

If you don't try, you will continue with this s--t.

↡ Advertisement

give you one example:

singaporean finishes polytechnic and goes on to serve ns.... foreigner finishes study and comes to singapore to work

singaporean serve ns for 2 yrs... foreigner joins mnc, gains experience, whacks ot, earns big money

singaporean finishes ns.... foreigner already promoted and has increment, already bought resale flat

singaporean joins mnc as freshie and works under the foreigner and tries to slowly climb up the ladder

in this case wouldn't the singaporean feel that the cost of living is higher in singapore as compared to the foreigner even though both have same skills? nothing to do with govt?

it does have something to do with the govt, i fully agree.

but your example is a lousy one becos firstly you are comparing one dimension of time and secondly you assume that the foreigner climbs 3X faster than a local regardless.

a difference of 2 yrs is not so great.

Even that is the case, it is not becos of NS.

I stand by the 2 yrs of NS. it's one of the best policies our govt have implemented.

maybe you can give a better case of an example

Don't forget about reservist, sometimes it can disrupt your work.

and sometimes it gives a refreshing break needed away from work. *smile*

Neutral Newbie

Don't forget about reservist, sometimes it can disrupt your work.

speaking of which... i have a friend who was pressured to resign because he was not physically fit and had to do RT every year. even when he had to do RT he was not paid a single cent or given time off....

btw he did shift work... thats why clashes with RT

Neutral Newbie

it does have something to do with the govt, i fully agree.

but your example is a lousy one becos firstly you are comparing one dimension of time and secondly you assume that the foreigner climbs 3X faster than a local regardless.

a difference of 2 yrs is not so great.

Even that is the case, it is not becos of NS.

I stand by the 2 yrs of NS. it's one of the best policies our govt have implemented.

maybe you can give a better case of an example

not assuming... real story

even the buying of resale flat was real

and yes i agree NS is important

Turbocharged

give you one example:

singaporean finishes polytechnic and goes on to serve ns.... foreigner finishes study and comes to singapore to work

singaporean serve ns for 2 yrs... foreigner joins mnc, gains experience, whacks ot, earns big money

singaporean finishes ns.... foreigner already promoted and has increment, already bought resale flat

singaporean joins mnc as freshie and works under the foreigner and tries to slowly climb up the ladder

in this case wouldn't the singaporean feel that the cost of living is higher in singapore as compared to the foreigner even though both have same skills? nothing to do with govt?

the way you are saying, machiam all MNC heads are foreigner.. Which i strongly disagree. i have encubtered a fair share of singaporeans earning $300,000 a year (late 20s to mid 30s), and also singaporeans earning $2mil & above (30s and older). I have also come across lots of ang moh who earn $120,000 (SGD) a year and works under singaporean boss.

Time to widen our mind and be more competitive. As long we are serious in our career and give our very best, shouldn't be too bad financially. Frankly speaking, some people who cry father cry mother are not the most "on" worker in workplace. They seems to always have reasons why they dun do well, and some lame reasons on why others are doing well (sour grape mostly).

i hope i wouldnt offend anyone, just given my little 2 cents.

• Praise 1

not assuming... real story

even the buying of resale flat was real

and yes i agree NS is important

Yes even if it were a real story.

It was just that one story.

Cannot use it as a benchmark case study.

thats my point

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

the way you are saying, machiam all MNC heads are foreigner.. Which i strongly disagree. i have encubtered a fair share of singaporeans earning $300,000 a year (late 20s to mid 30s), and also singaporeans earning $2mil & above (30s and older). I have also come across lots of ang moh who earn $120,000 (SGD) a year and works under singaporean boss.

Time to widen our mind and be more competitive. As long we are serious in our career and give our very best, shouldn't be too bad financially. Frankly speaking, some people who cry father cry mother are not the most "on" worker in workplace. They seems to always have reasons why they dun do well, and some lame reasons on why others are doing well (sour grape mostly).

i hope i wouldnt offend anyone, just given my little 2 cents.

the way i am saying machiam all mnc heads are foreigners? sorry that was not my intention. my intention was to show that that ppl of the same age and ability can end up having different income due to govt intervention.

just bcos i live a happy life doesn't mean i can ignore my frens who are in pain

not crying father crying mother.... rather feeling sad for singaporean bros

Edited by Blackwind

Neutral Newbie

Yes even if it were a real story.

It was just that one story.

Cannot use it as a benchmark case study.

thats my point

singaporean boys who served ns will always be behind by 2 years financially..... if you compare apple with apple

ofcourse singaporean boys can make up for the deficit with extra hardwork but that is like comparing orange with apple

not true?

Supercharged

To me, the article only serves to tell that Singapore is a shopping paradise & SG is earning tourist $, which is good for the country. And I agree with what Throttle2 mentioned. Live within your means lah, quoting someone "Do you want three meals in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant?" [laugh]

5th Gear

and sometimes it gives a refreshing break needed away from work. *smile*

I do agree it is a refreshing break. :D

5th Gear

the way i am saying machiam all mnc heads are foreigners? sorry that was not my intention. my intention was to show that that ppl of the same age and ability can end up having different income due to govt intervention.

just bcos i live a happy life doesn't mean i can ignore my frens who are in pain

not crying father crying mother.... rather feeling sad for singaporean bros

Agree. For me I have no problem living here, in fact it is enjoying. I am more concern about those Singaporean who is struggling.

singaporean boys who served ns will always be behind by 2 years financially..... if you compare apple with apple

ofcourse singaporean boys can make up for the deficit with extra hardwork but that is like comparing orange with apple

not true?

I'm saying that you cant and shouldnt compare it that way.

and the reason being that no 2 lives run the same course exactly.

so it is not a hard formula as you have placed.

my point is also that 2 yrs difference is not too great in the bigger scheme of things.

If we are industrious, we can catch up on that 2 years.

You cant say it's comparing orange with apple becos as i mentioned no 2 lives run the same course.

You either take a starting point to compare or not compare at all.

If you take a starting point to compare, i think many of us here are at a higher chance to do better than foreigners of our age living in Singapore.

which again boils down to my earlier point and that is that govt does make a difference but we ourselves make the bigger difference.

5th Gear

To me, the article only serves to tell that Singapore is a shopping paradise & SG is earning tourist $, which is good for the country. And I agree with what Throttle2 mentioned. Live within your means lah, quoting someone "Do you want three meals in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant?" [laugh]

True enough, we need to live within our means, but not bringing the foreigner to squeeze the Singaporean. Indeed we need foreign talent, but it should be those top notch positions, not those executives competing directly with local graduate here. Don't tell the local graduate can't do those jobs. The government has done their job, but not good enough.

Neutral Newbie

my point is also that 2 yrs difference is not too great in the bigger scheme of things.

You cant say it's comparing orange with apple becos as i mentioned no 2 lives run the same course.

If you take a starting point to compare, i think many of us here are at a higher chance to do better than foreigners of our age living in Singapore.

which again boils down to my earlier point and that is that govt does make a difference but we ourselves make the bigger difference.

maybe

agree

agree

hmm... very well

disagree. as a starting point some foreigners have strong financial backing and have good network just like some singaporeans who have strong financial backing and network

agree. so govt does make a difference

Honestly, for low income and lower middle class Singaporeans, I think life is very good compared to those in most other countries. HDB is relatively cheap for those below the income ceiling, compared to say Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Bangkok, etc. in relative terms. Someone in Beijing can make less salary but pay about the same price of new 3-room HDB flat, for a smaller one-bedroom apartment in a Beijing suburb (longer to commute than in Singapore for bigger city) with higher mortgage interest rates. How to compare ? OK, healthcare is relatively cheaper in Bejing if you're local but poorer quality and fewer choices. Food is cheaper, cars are cheaper. Import goods way more expensive. There is economies of scale from Taobao.com etc. much like ebay.com and amazon.com; and Singapore is too small to have any decent online shopping with good prices.

↡ Advertisement