Would you pay $15 to jump start your car ...??

Fattychubby

My stock battery died finally.. after 3 yrs ++..i was so lucky , at least , that it happened at a Shell petrol kiosk.

Checked with the shell autoserve .. quoted my $180++ for amaron battery.. told me that is the mkt rate etcc.. i remembered reading some where. it probably cost around $150..i suspected they must have took advantage of my situation and quoted me a sky high price ....

I rejected them and requested they jump start my car.. guess wat.. i was told they charge a flat rate of $15 and that is non negotiable..

no way i am going to give .. what the hell, $15 just for a 1 minute job and they were like giving me this heck care attitude..

I politely rejected them and went out to the petrol pumps asking for help .. and thank goodness.. a fellow motorist driving a white Toyota Wish gave me a helping hand..... ( Thank you to this gentleman who helped me on saturday morning at Shell 722 Upper Bukit Timah). I then headed to Filtec at Defu lane for a Hyundai Enercell battery which only cost me $80.25..

just want to have a show of hands.. how many of you would pay for the $15 to jump start ur car in this situation..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I wont.

In fact, I have a jump start kit which is essentially a battery with the red and black cable for jump starting. Had one ever since a bad experience of not able to start my car. luckily my friend got the jump start kit and was around at that time.

I have helped some friends and stranger to jump start, w/o charging...

My stock battery died finally.. after 3 yrs ++..i was so lucky , at least , that it happened at a Shell petrol kiosk.

Checked with the shell autoserve .. quoted my $180++ for amaron battery.. told me that is the mkt rate etcc.. i remembered reading some where. it probably cost around $150..i suspected they must have took advantage of my situation and quoted me a sky high price ....

I rejected them and requested they jump start my car.. guess wat.. i was told they charge a flat rate of $15 and that is non negotiable..

no way i am going to give .. what the hell, $15 just for a 1 minute job and they were like giving me this heck care attitude..

I politely rejected them and went out to the petrol pumps asking for help .. and thank goodness.. a fellow motorist driving a white Toyota Wish gave me a helping hand..... ( Thank you to this gentleman who helped me on saturday morning at Shell 722 Upper Bukit Timah). I then headed to Filtec at Defu lane for a Hyundai Enercell battery which only cost me $80.25..

just want to have a show of hands.. how many of you would pay for the $15 to jump start ur car in this situation..

If I'm stranded and have the 15 bucks I would do it. But most probably if I think my battery is dead or about to change, I will just call in for a battery replacement.

BTW there are some hear-says about how jump start will shorten/damage the lifespan of the good battery, myth?

If I'm stranded and have the 15 bucks I would do it. But most probably if I think my battery is dead or about to change, I will just call in for a battery replacement.

BTW there are some hear-says about how jump start will shorten/damage the lifespan of the good battery, myth?

haha...i guess if suay suay really kena stuck in a dire situation with a flat out battery with no help around then die die also must pay...ya so best safeguard is to change the batt around 2-3 yrs.

• Praise 1

(edited)

haha...i guess if suay suay really kena stuck in a dire situation with a flat out battery with no help around then die die also must pay...ya so best safeguard is to change the batt around 2-3 yrs.

Either that, or sign up as AA member at reasonable annual membership fee. Called them a few times to jump start. Free. The guy will also have new batteries for you to purchase if you think the price is right.

Edited by Fishman
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

i paid $25 for tat.

Just get Esso mastercard, they tied up with Star Auto. FREE Jump start at anytime of the day at any location. Once my battery went dead because I forgot to switch off my headlight. Called them at 0130am and by 0200am, the friendly guy is already helping me to jump start my car. This is the best deal so far!! [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Jump starting another car will not wreck your current car's battery

I had a suzuki swift 1.0 GL in perth as a student, that car had jumped start countless other student crap cars and nothing bad happened to it.

For the 3 years I was there, it didn't die.

• Praise 1

$15??? wth. . . i won't even give a cent. . .

i rather trouble my dad or close frens to jump start the car for me and buy them kopi. . .

really CMI, the autoserv really all out to chop you seeing you in that situation. . . [smash] [smash]

Supersonic

Either that, or sign up as AA member at reasonable annual membership fee. Called them a few times to jump start. Free. The guy will also have new batteries for you to purchase if you think the price is right.

Will they do it within a Shell Autoserv, though (referencing the OP's story)? I'm also an AA member, and I know they'll do it from home, but not sure if they'll do it anywhere else, especially on another mechanic's turf.

I won't do it. This is pure exploitation.

Turbocharged

I won't do it. This is pure exploitation.

agree...it is the unwritten of roadmanship. Always render help to another motorist. Its akin to giving water to another traveller. The shop shld be ashamed of themselves. [thumbsdown]

Will they do it within a Shell Autoserv, though (referencing the OP's story)? I'm also an AA member, and I know they'll do it from home, but not sure if they'll do it anywhere else, especially on another mechanic's turf.

AA will do it anywhere in Singapore [thumbsup] why should they cant whose turf that their client is?

Neutral Newbie

Hi Fatchubby,

Coincidentally, my batt died on me today. My colleague helped to jumpstart the car with cables to his vehicle but failed.

I removed the battery, went to workshop to get an aurora branded one 110$ and installed it by myself.

:o

After that was fine.

I think the autoserve shop charged u too high for batt/jump start.

I tried autoseve b4 at tanjong katong road. Aircon was running ok, except it not as cold as i wanted. Asked the guy to pump aircon gas and he pump all the gas into the low pressure line. the aircon jam and he mentioned $300 to service.. I drove out of autoserve and went another shop to solve it for 10$.

• Praise 1

Nope I won't. Cause I would rather ask someone else for else to jump start the car. I did help others to jump start their cars before.

Some say help others to jump start blah blah can damaged the batt blah blah. But it won't matter as long as your batt capacity is higher than theirs (esp. the CCA rating).

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1