Would you pay $15 to jump start your car ...??

Fattychubby

agree...it is the unwritten of roadmanship. Always render help to another motorist. Its akin to giving water to another traveller. The shop shld be ashamed of themselves. [thumbsdown]

================

I think u refering to the Mariners rule that all vessels must render assistance to another vessel in distress lah. [bounce1][bounce2]

Motorists, many heck care if they see another stranded motorist along the road but it wil b different if its along a dark & lonely road late at night.

Now many pple also scared to stop & help as maybe kenna rob by the "stranded" motorist even. Just call police & tell them got someone needs help at what location. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

I keep a set of jumper cables in the car, and will always help anyone that has a flat battery.

Also, I always keep my eyes open for those that have flat tyre and need help, and will help those guys (particularly [gorgeous] ) but guys, nopt to worry - if you want help I won't expect you to shave your legs [kiss]

==============

OK so now I know what to do if I stranded on the road.

I have to buy a mask of a [gorgeous] & put it on so u wil stop & give me help. Maybe if I shiok, I wil give u a big kiss even. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

if those small lorry, ( pickup ) it should be fine, as long as + to +, - to - ,

if its those giant lorry, then i not sure , any 1 try b4 can give some comment, giant lorry, jump start normal car , correct connection, will it damage our car??

must be 12 v to 12 v ( i know some giant lorry, its 24 v , then GG lol )

=============

Last time my car battery flat & only a small lorry stop & I use his battery to jump start but his battery is 2 pcs of 12v each so I just connect my jumper cables to one battery only & start.

No damage at all. If I connected to his 24v circuit, it wud have fried my electrical system.

Neutral Newbie

just want to have a show of hands.. how many of you would pay for the $15 to jump start ur car in this situation..

No way! would rather push it, I am sure others would help. [cool]

• Praise 1

depends lar. If cannot start in my carpark definitely won't pay.

But if I am stranded in some ulu place with my mistress, $50 also gotta give. [laugh] No aircon sibeh siong.

I keep a set of jumper cables in the car, and will always help anyone that has a flat battery.

Also, I always keep my eyes open for those that have flat tyre and need help, and will help those guys (particularly [gorgeous] ) but guys, nopt to worry - if you want help I won't expect you to shave your legs [kiss]

Reminded me of something.

Recently, I played SOS to jump start a car that was stranded on the highway. I have to reverse and drive the opposite way to rescue it, dangerous. That was because the jump start cable is just to short to link from his car to the front of my car.

Once done, I even left my jump start cable behind as I was really late for appointment. How sad... <_<

Regards,

I will strongly recommend everyone to buy a jump start cable.... it cost less than or about $15. but to find someone willing to help is another thing... something you have screw up friends who wont help, sometimes strangers can be better than friends... hahaha.... Jump start cable can get it at any DIY shop, carrefour, giant, or if you go msia lagi best cos its same price as Singapore but in RM.. hahaha... good to keep one set of those in the car... I have one set at home cos share with 3 cars and I not scared cos got 2 cars to rescue me if s--t happens... hahahaha... but if you have no one to help you, please go keep inside your car... i know of alot of friendssssss got stuck in a situation like this..

Have AA membership is good as well, but always good to have jump start cable at least the waiting time is not so long hahahhaa.... also keep 2-3 numbers on your hp for 24 hours emegency towing and battery change... i got battery change so now looking for good reliable towing service number to keep as well...

Dun be surprise lor, my friends were stuck in Sungei Buloh cos they went on nature walk, next thing they know battery died... no one around to help, got one car can help got no jump start cable, i think in this situation, i will pay $20 just to jump start my car...

My stock battery died finally.. after 3 yrs ++..i was so lucky , at least , that it happened at a Shell petrol kiosk.

Checked with the shell autoserve .. quoted my $180++ for amaron battery.. told me that is the mkt rate etcc.. i remembered reading some where. it probably cost around $150..i suspected they must have took advantage of my situation and quoted me a sky high price ....

I rejected them and requested they jump start my car.. guess wat.. i was told they charge a flat rate of $15 and that is non negotiable..

no way i am going to give .. what the hell, $15 just for a 1 minute job and they were like giving me this heck care attitude..

I politely rejected them and went out to the petrol pumps asking for help .. and thank goodness.. a fellow motorist driving a white Toyota Wish gave me a helping hand..... ( Thank you to this gentleman who helped me on saturday morning at Shell 722 Upper Bukit Timah). I then headed to Filtec at Defu lane for a Hyundai Enercell battery which only cost me $80.25..

just want to have a show of hands.. how many of you would pay for the $15 to jump start ur car in this situation..

How much time you spent for looking a helpful person (save $15) and I doubt your new $80 battery can last you another 3 yrs?

Some people have time to waste which I don't have, I will pay $180 to change my battery at once.

• Praise 1

(edited)

yeah i will pay $180 for the battery...want to rip $30 from me so be it. i dun want to wait for kind soul also.

anyway its not like something we buy car battery every mth ... if its $180 so be it.

if its $15 i will pay also. yes its 1 min job but u know how to do it urself? or u want to wait for kind soul indefinately?

just like web designer charges thosuands for creating html websites when any kids can do it....wait for kids w kind soul to do for me?

Edited by Babyt
  • Praise 1

got jump start cable also useless if there is no battery ard to assist in the jump start process....unless connect to the 2 balls (+ve. -ve)...LOL

(edited)

Low grade copper wire - high resistance therefore less current can flow through resulting in high temp built up.

PS the best cables are those used in arc welding machines.

Edited by Yeobh

(edited)

If the battery voltage is far too low ( less than 6 volt) chances of electric spikes will go stray and end up in one of the more electronic modules/acc.

Assumping that a starter is 1.5 hp ( 745watt x 1.5) = 1117.5watt. Divide 1117.5 by 12volt = 93amp. Unless this 93 amp is fully utilised to crank the starter if not the high amp will go stray and may just BBQ some elcetronic modules/acc

PS for safety it's best to use cables with built in spikes arrestor.

Edited by Yeobh

Yes I would pay. I won't waste time begging passer by one by one whether they have jump start cable. Yes I can call a friend, but how many friends are available during working hours and how many is nearby? Is it fair for a friend to come a long way just to give you a jump start? Yes, you may save $15 but at the expense of your friend's time and fuel he used to come to you. I think that is plain selfishness or should I say penny wise, pound foolish. Beside, you're wasting your own time waiting for rescue too.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

got jump start cable also useless if there is no battery ard to assist in the jump start process....unless connect to the 2 balls (+ve. -ve)...LOL

yep..happened to me 2 days ago...forgot to turn off the interior light...battery became flat. I have a jump start cable......approached 2 drivers...one says his battery is weak, another says he's rushing for time....gave up asking...waited for AA to come.

Once in the same situation at Genting highlands....Malaysian are more forthcoming to help.

Kinda of sad that Singaporean are so self centered now-a-days..... [bigcry][bigcry]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1