Would you pay $15 to jump start your car ...??

Fattychubby

Anyone remember the old punggol yacht club? Right at the tail end of punggol. Many years never been there after they have re-developed that place.

There was this good spot where u drive through an illegally cut-open fence (yacht club property), proceed through some un-paved sandy road/bushes till the edge of the coastline. A superb good spot for couple to............ watch sunrise. Not to deviate from the thread title, [bigcry] ..batt died on me once. So evetually seek the yacht club security to ALLOW the mechanic to come in and jump start for me in the morning wee hour. FYI, that place was a hot spot whenever i go always need to recky for good spot to watch....sunrise. The best spot always taken up after 10pm. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Some of you might ask. Why don't seek the help of other car instead of approaching the yacht club security. Hmmmm seriously would you approach a car middle of the nite with engine running and window cover with mist (dense)... I would rather approach the sercurity on the safe side. [:p]

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement

For 24volt system with 2units x 12volt batteries, they are linked in series. You will only have to connect to just one of the two batteries. If not sure best not to conduct such jump as the chances of electrical damage to the dead car is high.

I think the really cheapo one is the one who's stuck and refuse to pay the $15. btw, who's oblige to help you jump start your car? I wld happiliy pay the $15 then drive to a workshop to hv my battery replaced.

• Praise 1

Guess it's only practical to spend the $$ if one really need to. From my driving experience, I hardly come across another driver asking to jumpstart their car although I would help if asked. Now that I have a jumpstart equipment, I look forward to help a motorist with weak or flat battery because I want to know how effective the equipment is.

So friends, if you happen to stay in Tampines or Simei and need help to jumpstart your car, pm me and I'll give you my no. for assistance whenever possible and/or practical.

Cheers! [;)]

Nice! I have a jumpstart kit too and would like to help as well. Those staying ard Eunos MRT can PM me and I will be glad to help if I am available at that time.

Edited by Fcw75

So we are giving only 12V to a 24V system. With connection to one battery, still able to jump start, correct?

No you got wrong, if yr dead battery is 12volt and the assist truck comes with 24 volt system, logically you should cable up to only one battery (12v to 12volt.)

Edited by Yeobh

Neutral Newbie

I will not pay.

I will call my family members for help. I also have the sambong in my car everyday and also had helped a few cars jump start before.

I don't understand why people cannot just extend such simple help when it does not cost them a single cent.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I ever jump started my uncle's lorry before. His battery is almost double of mine. My battery is still healthy.

This part 12 receipent to 12V helper I understand.

But it is the 12V helper and 24 volt receipent, that I kind of blur. We can only connect to one of their 12V battery. So will this way jump start the 24V system.

Thanks again

Many years ago, I remembered the battery in my old 1982 Nissan Sunny died in the car park. I pushed the car to get the vehicle back to life again!

You can do that but it will put alot of pressure on the 12volt assist battery. 24volt system road vehicles are 100% diesel powered engines, the initial kick start amp surge is very high maybe three time more than petrol for the same engine HP.

I disagree bro. I remember years back i have a jump start cable from giant. (after my ordeal at punggol) I tried using it one at MSCP washing bay but fail me badly. According to the mechanic that came to my assitance, size of the cable does matter. Those 10, 20 dollars cmi. His cable was very old, dirty and worn out but quite thick. I reckon three or four time the thickness from those giant's cable. One crank i was able to start my car. [laugh]

Thanks for sharing.

I learn something new today. [thumbsup]

My stock battery died finally.. after 3 yrs ++..i was so lucky , at least , that it happened at a Shell petrol kiosk.

Checked with the shell autoserve .. quoted my $180++ for amaron battery.. told me that is the mkt rate etcc.. i remembered reading some where. it probably cost around $150..i suspected they must have took advantage of my situation and quoted me a sky high price ....

I rejected them and requested they jump start my car.. guess wat.. i was told they charge a flat rate of $15 and that is non negotiable..

no way i am going to give .. what the hell, $15 just for a 1 minute job and they were like giving me this heck care attitude..

I politely rejected them and went out to the petrol pumps asking for help .. and thank goodness.. a fellow motorist driving a white Toyota Wish gave me a helping hand..... ( Thank you to this gentleman who helped me on saturday morning at Shell 722 Upper Bukit Timah). I then headed to Filtec at Defu lane for a Hyundai Enercell battery which only cost me $80.25..

just want to have a show of hands.. how many of you would pay for the $15 to jump start ur car in this situation..

autoserve at shell kiosks are suckers.

everything expensive.

Knn. Forgot to turn off my lights in the car (previous car had auto turn off function) and now it can't start. 

Anyone know if Anker is a good brand for those battery starters?

Knn. Forgot to turn off my lights in the car (previous car had auto turn off function) and now it can't start. 

Anyone know if Anker is a good brand for those battery starters?

yes, it is. reviews from Amazon and other sites would attest to that as well.

btw, your car didn't beep continuously to warn you when you opened the driver's door?

• Praise 1

yes, it is. reviews from Amazon and other sites would attest to that as well.

btw, your car didn't beep continuously to warn you when you opened the driver's door?

sometimes such noise just get lost in the background and you accidentally shut it out of your mind... same thing happened to me before, didn't think it could happen.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1