Working overtime is bad for the heart - Reuters

Darkblue

Memo to boss: 11-hour days are bad for the heart

By Ben Hirschler

LONDON - People working 10 or 11 hours a day are more likely to suffer serious heart problems, including heart attacks, than those clocking off after seven hours, researchers said on Tuesday.

The finding, from an 11-year study of 6,000 British civil servants, does not provide definitive proof that long hours cause coronary heart disease but it does show a clear link, which experts said may be due to stress.

In all, there were 369 cases of death due to heart disease, non-fatal heart attacks and angina among the London-based study group -- and the risk of having an adverse event was 60 percent higher for those who worked three to four hours overtime.

Working an extra one to two hours beyond a normal seven-hour day was not associated with increased risk.

"It seems there might a threshold, so it is not so bad if you work another hour or so more than usual," said Dr Marianna Virtanen, an epidemiologist at the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health and University College London.

The higher incidence of heart problems among those working overtime was independent of a range of other risk factors including smoking, being overweight or having high cholesterol.

But Virtanen said it was possible the lifestyle of people working long hours deteriorated over time, for example as a result of poor diet or increased alcohol consumption.

More fundamentally, long hours may be associated with work-related stress, which interferes with metabolic processes, as well as "sickness presenteeism," whereby employees continue working when they are ill.

Virtanen and colleagues published their findings in the European Heart Journal.

Commenting on the study, Gordon McInnes, professor of clinical pharmacology at the University of Glasgow's Western Infirmary, said the findings could have widespread implications for doctors assessing patients' heart risks.

"If the effect is truly causal, the importance is much greater than commonly recognized. Overtime-induced work stress might contribute to a substantial proportion of cardiovascular disease," he said.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20100511/tbs...me-7318940.html

↡ Advertisement

Employee dies from heart attack n employer insurance is liable? Thot liable only if is work related? Anyone can clarify abt this case?

http://www.singaporelawwatch.sg/slw/index.php/component/cck/?task=download&file=attached_document&id=85500&utm_source=web%20subscription&utm_medium=web;src=judgments

even if company have insurance cover for employee, i think there were cases that the employee (or family) not able to claim the payout.

Employee dies from heart attack n employer insurance is liable? Thot liable only if is work related? Anyone can clarify abt this case?

http://www.singaporelawwatch.sg/slw/index.php/component/cck/?task=download&file=attached_document&id=85500&utm_source=web%20subscription&utm_medium=web;src=judgments

Already in the first page. Workman comp aka Work Injury Compensation Act. It's mandatory for all companies to buy this insurance.

Somemore he was warded during his working hours. No horse run. Once something like this happen must quickly inform the insurance broker or the insurance company. Regardless employees have pre-existing conditions or whatever. The workman comp is to protect the employees interest. As long as something happen to them in the workplace, or during their work hours or even on their way to work, all these are covered, work related or not. Not kidding. On their way to work is also covered.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/workplace-safety-and-health/work-injury-compensation

Already in the first page. Workman comp aka Work Injury Compensation Act. It's mandatory for all companies to buy this insurance.

Somemore he was warded during his working hours. No horse run. Once something like this happen must quickly inform the insurance broker or the insurance company. Regardless employees have pre-existing conditions or whatever. The workman comp is to protect the employees interest. As long as something happen to them in the workplace, or during their work hours or even on their way to work, all these are covered, work related or not. Not kidding. On their way to work is also covered.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/workplace-safety-and-health/work-injury-compensation

He felt unwell during his working hours.

But his "unwellness".. Does not appear to be a result of work? Still liable?

If this is true.. Then who dare hire old / fat/ sick ppl.

(edited)

Two points here.

1 . This is assuming you hate your job.

2. Another factor be considered is that not working overtime might bring more health risk. Less over time, less profit, less salary or no job, no money, poorer health.

I got this from a book where a person was driving a Jeep dangerously fast to escape the arrows being fired by the natives to him The conpanion shouted to the driver to slow down as he was dangerously fast. He shouted back,"yes I am driving dangerously fast but with all these arrows flying towards us, its more dangerous to drive slower."

I do agree that overtime brings health risk but in a high cost of living society with little safety net, unless one is lucky, choosing not to work overtime might bring more health risks in form of poor nutrition or stress. From stress of projects undone to stress on finding money for next meal.

Two cents.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 1

good idea, companies should do it here.

A tech company is making employees walk 10,000 steps a day, or do push-ups if they fail
BY YVETTE TAN
22 HOURS AGO

A Chinese company is in the spotlight for trying to relieve its sedentary employees of their desks — by making it mandatory that they clock 10,000 steps a day.

The seemingly well-meaning but strictly enforced rules also deal a penalty of 50 to 100 push-ups to people who fail to meet the 10,000 step count mark.

The Chongqing Evening News quotes one of the new employees at the unnamed technology firm, Hu, who said that on his first day, the company's HR department made him sign up for a feature on the WeChat messaging app that tracks the number of steps they take each day.

"As long as I do my job well, why should I be asked to walk?" Hu grumbled. He now walks 20 minutes a day to the subway instead of driving in order to meet the required amount of steps.

"Many of my colleagues now no longer spend lunch playing games on the computer but go out together for walks," he added.

10,000 steps equals to about eight kilometres, or an almost two-hour walk, depending on your walking speed and stride.

The company, which has not been named, has defended their policy.

"Many of our staff sit in an office all day and sometimes have to work overtime," said an official at the company, identified only as Guo.

"Many of them are young but are already having health issues such as neck and shoulder problems. We make walking 10,000 steps compulsory so staff can have a healthier life," she said.

The company also added that employees who actively do sports do not have to participate in the programme.

British experts had previously advised office workers to stand for at least two hours a day, adding that those who spent most of their days sitting were more likely to be fat, have heart problems, cancer and even die earlier.

Perhaps walking doesn't seem that bad of an idea after all.

They should introduce adjustable height table here in SG. It is mandatory requirement for offices in Denmark. I like it.

i dont think they make standard tables for 1.9m + guys...  yours hv to be tailor made.. 

Better be safe than sorry.

I am clocking out at 6pm.

To save my company health care cost.

:D

your thinking is so flawed..   

as per the headline.. 

the converse is true

leave early today.. good for the heart!

• Praise 2

They should introduce adjustable height table here in SG. It is mandatory requirement for offices in Denmark. I like it.

Electric-Height-Adjustable-Tables.jpg

They should make this mandatory in Sg as well.

I have always like the standing position myself.

i dont think they make standard tables for 1.9m + guys...  yours hv to be tailor made.. 

your thinking is so flawed..   

as per the headline.. 

the converse is true

leave early today.. good for the heart!

Ok I go home now then.

They should make this mandatory in Sg as well.

I have always like the standing position myself.

you can sit on the opposite of the tall table while she is working   :D

The truth is chairs are killers and should be banned.

Actually you are right. (ok... you are always right).

Gym ball is the best "chair" for the office.

Only $50-$100. Much cheaper than any office chair.

• Praise 3