Rebadging of the VW Passat to Proton Perdana?

Kelpie

From Yahoo! News:

Malaysia's Proton hints on VW tie-up, posts profit

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia

↡ Advertisement

IMO, VW would not let Any other car-makers( be it partners,etc) to rebadge their latest model. Its just like you would not share everything with others because you would not have that advantage. Thus, even if Proton got the deal, the VW they will be rebadging most likely the outdated and "not so advanced " technology model.

Unless they have the joint partnership like Mistubishi I with EU partners ( Citrogen/Peugeot)....Which i don't see a point with VW n Proton......

Just my opinion....

IMO, VW would not let Any other car-makers( be it partners,etc) to rebadge their latest model. Its just like you would not share everything with others because you would not have that advantage. Thus, even if Proton got the deal, the VW they will be rebadging most likely the outdated and "not so advanced " technology model.

Unless they have the joint partnership like Mistubishi I with EU partners ( Citrogen/Peugeot)....Which i don't see a point with VW n Proton......

Just my opinion....

Why not? Naza Cerato (Kia) is a good example. Nissan/Renault also another example. For example, Nissan Teana is being rebadge as Samsung Motors in Korea (Japan car wearing Korean badge).

Regards,

yup, still can make $$ out of old toolings which r suppose to b write off [rolleyes]

The meaning of rebadging is quite different from using old engine (or as you put it, old toolings) :huh: . Ssangyong is licensed to use older Benz engine. They use the Benz engines and mount them to their cars.

Naza Cerato is a good example of rebadge. The whole car simple looks like the Kia cerato but instead of using Kia logo, they slap it with a Naza logo. Nissan Teana is another example. For the same car, in Singapore , they used the Nissan badge but in Korea, they use the Samsung Motors badge.

So, if VW and Proton really mean it. It means we are going to see a real VW Passat with a Proton logo [laugh] . Hopefully price is far apart and Singaporean will have access to a cheaper option to drive a VW Passat.

Regards,

(edited)

Why not? Naza Cerato (Kia) is a good example. Nissan/Renault also another example. For example, Nissan Teana is being rebadge as Samsung Motors in Korea (Japan car wearing Korean badge).

Regards,

Naza Cerato (kia) is a budget car. They have signed agreement in bringing Complete Built Unit (CBU) first thereafter Complete Knock Down(CKD). One of the major advantage of rebadging in Malaysia is about being cheaper as their GOVT tax alot in Foreign make due to Proton/Perodua.

However, the current VW model is Jetta is not a budget car. There is no reason to risk rebadging it for cheaper price. Furthermore, Malaysia is an Auto Hub which is known to skip alot of QC. Maybe you can do some research on problems in Malaysian CKDs ( Wira, Myvi, Viva, Naza models) which are domestic products. I am not refering to exporting models but models for Malaysians .

So why would VW risk bringing in models where Proton is still having problems in making/rebadging a good car?

Just my 2 cents...cheers... [laugh]

Edited by Mike1234

actually i think they're badging the current jetta as the new perdana. link from autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/27/is-vw-l...laysias-proton/

Bro, besides that Proton will also be rebadging Mitsubishi Lancer as their new Proton Waja which is due this November/December.....Maybe it will reach our shores either this or next year. There will also be technology transfer which means there will not be Campro engine in it.

Note: Mitsubishi Lancer will most likely not be the Lancer EX in SG but most probably the Lancer in EU countries.....(Lancer Fortis)

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Malaysia is an Auto Hub which is known to skip alot of QC. Maybe you can do some research on problems in Malaysian CKDs ( Wira, Myvi, Viva, Naza models) which are domestic products. I am not refering to exporting models but models for Malaysians .

So why would VW risk bringing in models where Proton is still having problems in making/rebadging a good car?

My first car was a Citroen assembled by Proton. I do not think there were serious quality issues due to assembly. My second car is a Hafei assembled by Naza. I have not heard of serious widespread assembly-related issues. Some of its parts are not durable, but this is the problem of the Chinese manufacturer, not the Malaysian assembler. Both are domestic models. The Naza-assembled domestic Peugeot 206 looks okay too. The issues the owners face seem to be due more to aging parts of clearance stock and problems of original Peugeot parts, rather than the assembly process of Naza.

Edited by Hwt

My first car was a Citroen assembled by Proton. I do not think there were serious quality issues due to assembly. My second car is a Hafei assembled by Naza. I have not heard of serious widespread assembly-related issues. Some of its parts are not durable, but this is the problem of the Chinese manufacturer, not the Malaysian assembler. Both are domestic models.

Bro i know they are Malaysian make models....But domestic models which i meant are models which are made and sold only in Malaysia itself. The ones we got here are considered " Export models" which are generally stricter abit in QC but still.....There's still some problems...I wouldn't say 100% got problem....But quite many...

Neutral Newbie

Bro i know they are Malaysian make models....But domestic models which i meant are models which are made and sold only in Malaysia itself. The ones we got here are considered " Export models" which are generally stricter abit in QC but still.....There's still some problems...I wouldn't say 100% got problem....But quite many...

I was referring to those sold in Malaysia, because all my cars are Malaysia-registered ones. I have not bought a car in Singapore, yet.

Naza Cerato (kia) is a budget car. They have signed agreement in bringing Complete Built Unit (CBU) first thereafter Complete Knock Down(CKD). One of the major advantage of rebadging in Malaysia is about being cheaper as their GOVT tax alot in Foreign make due to Proton/Perodua.

However, the current VW model is Jetta is not a budget car. There is no reason to risk rebadging it for cheaper price. Furthermore, Malaysia is an Auto Hub which is known to skip alot of QC. Maybe you can do some research on problems in Malaysian CKDs ( Wira, Myvi, Viva, Naza models) which are domestic products. I am not refering to exporting models but models for Malaysians .

Just my 2 cents...cheers... [laugh]

I guess Proton is trying to get VW to buy a equity stake in the company. When a company has a stake in it, things may change. So if there is money to be made and to dispose ex-stock, surely they will consider. After all VW is a "people's car". If they can use Proton to beat the budget sector which is clouded by the Korean and etc, why not right?

It reminded me of Renault again. Renualt buy into Nissan and start selling their cars using Nissan Badge or Samsung Motors badge.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Wah, it they rebadge Passats as Perdana, then I'll cry man....Hope VW not so stupid to let the brand name go down the drain. Once VW cars gets rebadged as Protons, many VW customers will start thinking about changing brands, no doubt.

I certainly don't want to be driving a Passat and people start asking me "eh you driving a Plotong ar?"

Edited by Dunno

Please lah....it will not be cheap lah. Most likely more expensive than VW direct!

Look at the few proton models.....cheaper than korean/japanese makes or not?

Proton vs Kor/Jap price range around the same although its just transport across a bridge.

So dont expect proton passat/jetta to be cheap...also the mentality of Singporeans will not likely to but a previous model 'new' car!

↡ Advertisement