car vehicle recorder

• Search this thread
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
6428 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Tom_kkh
  • Tom_kkh
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

has been hunting around for one.

budget abt $250 any recommandation.

I wan those can run direct from car battery.

Checked around for three weeks cant decide. any advice?

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

Picanto
sg.carstore

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

Maxoo
  • Premium member
    Maxoo
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I'm also looking for one. Really cant decide which one to get. some more all at $300 plus above for those good review.$300 plus can get a good camera such as canon to install on our car. The only things is its lacks some feature .

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

Tom_kkh
  • Tom_kkh
    6th Gear

i have seen those above $300 ones, resolution also not very good lei.

Headache....... scare buy already than cannot even read the license plate of the front car, than waste $

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed

Hi there,

It is so difficult to decide on one, probably due to the following reasons:

1. Too bulky. Imagine hanging an unsightly camera on your front windscreen. I'm looking for one that is hidden away but there isn't such a product in the market yet.

2. Wire. I wanted a hidden camera that It would start recording the moment I start my engine. No messy wire or the need to recharge the battery.

3. Design. Even if one is to accept a desktop or overhanging model, the size is still too big. All those on the market simply do not make the cut as far as style is concerned.

Guess, we're just too demanding laugh.gif. In the end, still have not fixed up one.

Regards,
Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. You may feel displeased which in this case, my sincere apologies and do kindly seek moderator's advice if need be. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. My motto is we agree to disagree. No profanity or obscenities of any kind. No personal attacks on other users. Thank you.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

Parkingidiot
  • Parkingidiot
    6th Gear

exactly... the perfect device may be out there.. or not... in the meantime... better have a backup plan just in case.
I've personally gone thru several devices since a few years ago.

I first started with my normal DV video cam, but it was too bulky and needed recharging constantly - I did not have a car charger for it. And it uses tape - whilst ok, and can rotate the tapes - this was very cumbersome. The plus points were: it was very very clear! And with zoom and wide angle lens, can record a whole range of stuff. And with the LCD can actually see what you are recording. But without a proper mounting, it also suffered from vibration problems. And I did not want to leave it in the car too long under hot sun less it got damaged.

Another device I used was a mobile phone vid cam. The plus point - very convenient, as always carry it around. Very small so unobtrusive when mounted on the dashboard. And by then there were those ubiquitous windscreen mounting thingies, so quite easy to mount. But a major minus point was that when a call came in, the recording stopped! So it got too inconvenient and irritating to keep activating the video everytime after a call.

Another device I got was a small usb pen cam from one of the bros at MCF. This one cam with a car charger, very tiny and easy to mount. The plus points - it's got a 4MB flashdrive - which allows quite a bit of recording (i only have to erase after a few days). The minus points is that the quality is rather poor so not very good in too bright a light or too dark at night; need a computer to delete the recordings, as there is no built-in feature to do so, can't see what I am recording, so have to guess at the angle to mount (not really difficult); and the way I mounted, there is an ugly wire dangllng from it to the cigarrete lighter for charging. Can hide the wire, but too lazy at this time.

So.. I am still on the lookout for a better system... but in the meantime I have recorded several incidents - near misses esp when taxis cut into your lane without signalling, idiots who beat red light, people who cut across double white lines or chevrons into your lane, and monkey pedestrians who jump onto the road without checking for traffic. So far lucky no accident... but if do... these recordings may save me a lot of grief.
Visit http://carcameras.blogspot.com/ for HD Digital Camcorders for car use

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

Chrispie
  • Premium member
    Chrispie
    Supercharged

i dont think that the clarity of number plate is crucial. What is more impt is recording the situation just before the accident. With the cam recording the impact etc, dont think number plate matters. Both vehicles would have impact zones that match those on the video clip, and dont think anyone can stage the exact accident, especially when there's also time stamp on the video.

if video shows u traveling straight and a kuku car jz barged in and smash your side, that alone should do a lot for your claim on the other party. Even if your cam is super clear, you wont be able to get the license plate if its a side impact anyway. i fixed mine DIY with hidden wires etc for 125 niah... VGA quality.. not HD, but it does the job!

only complain are from the passengers coz of the blinking LED when its recording.. quite irritating to them, coz i mounted the cam on the passeger side, beside my rear view mirror.

Edited by Chrispie, 05 June 2010 - 11:47 AM.

Live the moment. 

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Shanhz
  • Premium member
    Shanhz
    4th Gear

i dont think that the clarity of number plate is crucial. What is more impt is recording the situation just before the accident. With the cam recording the impact etc, dont think number plate matters. Both vehicles would have impact zones that match those on the video clip, and dont think anyone can stage the exact accident, especially when there's also time stamp on the video.

if video shows u traveling straight and a kuku car jz barged in and smash your side, that alone should do a lot for your claim on the other party. Even if your cam is super clear, you wont be able to get the license plate if its a side impact anyway. i fixed mine DIY with hidden wires etc for 125 niah... VGA quality.. not HD, but it does the job!

only complain are from the passengers coz of the blinking LED when its recording.. quite irritating to them, coz i mounted the cam on the passeger side, beside my rear view mirror.

simple solution, just paste a black piece of paper or something over the lights

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    NOS-ed

has been hunting around for one.

budget abt $250 any recommandation.

I wan those can run direct from car battery.

Checked around for three weeks cant decide. any advice?

I recommend this one : http://www.dealextre...ls.dx/sku.35356

- High resolution of WXGA 1280*720 Pixels clearly recognize the faces or car plate
- View range: 120°wide-angle
- Video codec: H.264
- SD/MMC card slot, support up to 64GB
- Built-in 500mAh rechargeable battery
- Charged via USB, external power supply offers a non-stop recording
- Date and time simultaneous display on Video
- Port: Mini USB / HDMI / SD Card Slot

It cost only US$152 w/ free shipping. US$152 x 1.4(exchange rate) = S$212

I using it as my rear view car camera. Love the LCD screen which most car camera lacks.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Eyke
  • Premium member
    Eyke
    6th Gear

also sold here: http://www.mycarforu...p;#entry3190004

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    NOS-ed

also sold here: http://www.mycarforu...p;#entry3190004

Price a lot of difference. lipsrsealed.gif Look at TS budget.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

Mcf777
  • Mcf777
    6th Gear

anyone keen to organise a group buy?

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

Osiris
Hi Adrian,
Prior to the incident, how do you power the unit via the car charger or tap to somewhere?
quite ugly with a wire running down windscreen tapping to car charger

To lodge all power in one party and keep it there is to insure bad government and the sure and gradual deterioration of the public morals

Mark Twain

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    NOS-ed

Wire is ran under the roof liner -> to the A pillar -> under steering column -> to the cig lighter.

Totally out of sight.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Tom_kkh
  • Tom_kkh
    6th Gear

actually i don mind paying upto 350 for a good set. CCD lens will be great!

with or without monitor doesnt matter to me. no date and time stamping also no problem, so long it is clear enough to record the car plate no., day and night.

no need surveillance too. just plain driving. but must be connect ot the car battery for auto on and off....think for my budget not too tough la hor?

the set recommended got many complaints for not satisfactory night vision.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

Osiris

Wire is ran under the roof liner -> to the A pillar -> under steering column -> to the cig lighter.

Totally out of sight.

Thanks for the wire routing info. will keep that in mind if decide to change

To lodge all power in one party and keep it there is to insure bad government and the sure and gradual deterioration of the public morals

Mark Twain

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

Heartbreakkidz
  • Premium member
    Heartbreakkidz
    3rd Gear

- High resolution of WXGA 1280*720 Pixels clearly recognize the faces or car plate
- View range: 120°wide-angle
- Video codec: H.264
- SD/MMC card slot, support up to 64GB
- Built-in 500mAh rechargeable battery
- Charged via USB, external power supply offers a non-stop recording
- Date and time simultaneous display on Video
- Port: Mini USB / HDMI / SD Card Slot

It cost only US$152 w/ free shipping. US$152 x 1.4(exchange rate) = S$212

I using it as my rear view car camera. Love the LCD screen which most car camera lacks.

Is it easy to install? just plug and play? plug into the cig lighter hole,then press rec? and it will start rec? Need to press stop when we off the engine? or it will auto stop? soli and thx for the guidance :)

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

Booboon
  • Booboon
    6th Gear

the device will start recording once u on engine. It will stop recording once u off engine. Plug n play.
Nick Foo, 37
IT Trainer
Sometimes I quite Eng.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

Kenney
  • Kenney
    1st Gear

Hi bros

Something to share.

Some recorders having that 3~4 seconds of data loss during file transfer. (meaning- when file is completed, device needs to create another file)

Do enquire before you make the purchase. I have come across an accident video clip that missed out the most crucial evidence. No joke!

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

Friendstar
  • Friendstar
    NOS-ed

actually i don mind paying upto 350 for a good set. CCD lens will be great!

with or without monitor doesnt matter to me. no date and time stamping also no problem, so long it is clear enough to record the car plate no., day and night.

no need surveillance too. just plain driving. but must be connect ot the car battery for auto on and off....think for my budget not too tough la hor?

the set recommended got many complaints for not satisfactory night vision.

my requirement is:
1) date and time
2) must see car plate day and night
3) connect to car battery auto on/off when engine starts
4) no need to look nice, can have wires.
5) no need LCD

budget 300.
possible?

Back to Accessories  ·  Aftermarket Top

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

BlackVue DR550GW-2CH

BlackVue DR550GW-2CH  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Voltage  |  2nd Gear

Best recorder I have used so far!!!

Good reliable recorder. HD videos and wifi function makes it easy to retrieve videos. Accurate and fast GPS positioning. Fast startup from engine start. Option to add on parking mode function

BlackVue DR500GW-HD

BlackVue DR500GW-HD  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Voltage  |  2nd Gear

Best recorder I have used so far!!!

Best single channel car camera I have used so far. Good resolution. Wifi function makes it easy to setup and retrieve videos. Good start up time from engine start. Option to add on parking mode as well.

Related Product Guide search on sgCarMart.com : Video Recorder

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)