In car vehicle recorder

Tom_kkh

has been hunting around for one.

budget abt $250 any recommandation.

I wan those can run direct from car battery.

Checked around for three weeks cant decide. any advice?

↡ Advertisement

I'm also looking for one. Really cant decide which one to get. some more all at $300 plus above for those good review.$300 plus can get a good camera such as canon to install on our car. The only things is its lacks some feature .

i have seen those above $300 ones, resolution also not very good lei.

Headache....... scare buy already than cannot even read the license plate of the front car, than waste $

Hi there,

It is so difficult to decide on one, probably due to the following reasons:

1. Too bulky. Imagine hanging an unsightly camera on your front windscreen. I'm looking for one that is hidden away but there isn't such a product in the market yet.

2. Wire. I wanted a hidden camera that It would start recording the moment I start my engine. No messy wire or the need to recharge the battery.

3. Design. Even if one is to accept a desktop or overhanging model, the size is still too big. All those on the market simply do not make the cut as far as style is concerned.

Guess, we're just too demanding [laugh]. In the end, still have not fixed up one.

Regards,

exactly... the perfect device may be out there.. or not... in the meantime... better have a backup plan just in case.

I've personally gone thru several devices since a few years ago.

I first started with my normal DV video cam, but it was too bulky and needed recharging constantly - I did not have a car charger for it. And it uses tape - whilst ok, and can rotate the tapes - this was very cumbersome. The plus points were: it was very very clear! And with zoom and wide angle lens, can record a whole range of stuff. And with the LCD can actually see what you are recording. But without a proper mounting, it also suffered from vibration problems. And I did not want to leave it in the car too long under hot sun less it got damaged.

Another device I used was a mobile phone vid cam. The plus point - very convenient, as always carry it around. Very small so unobtrusive when mounted on the dashboard. And by then there were those ubiquitous windscreen mounting thingies, so quite easy to mount. But a major minus point was that when a call came in, the recording stopped! So it got too inconvenient and irritating to keep activating the video everytime after a call.

Another device I got was a small usb pen cam from one of the bros at MCF. This one cam with a car charger, very tiny and easy to mount. The plus points - it's got a 4MB flashdrive - which allows quite a bit of recording (i only have to erase after a few days). The minus points is that the quality is rather poor so not very good in too bright a light or too dark at night; need a computer to delete the recordings, as there is no built-in feature to do so, can't see what I am recording, so have to guess at the angle to mount (not really difficult); and the way I mounted, there is an ugly wire dangllng from it to the cigarrete lighter for charging. Can hide the wire, but too lazy at this time.

So.. I am still on the lookout for a better system... but in the meantime I have recorded several incidents - near misses esp when taxis cut into your lane without signalling, idiots who beat red light, people who cut across double white lines or chevrons into your lane, and monkey pedestrians who jump onto the road without checking for traffic. So far lucky no accident... but if do... these recordings may save me a lot of grief.

(edited)

i dont think that the clarity of number plate is crucial. What is more impt is recording the situation just before the accident. With the cam recording the impact etc, dont think number plate matters. Both vehicles would have impact zones that match those on the video clip, and dont think anyone can stage the exact accident, especially when there's also time stamp on the video.

if video shows u traveling straight and a kuku car jz barged in and smash your side, that alone should do a lot for your claim on the other party. Even if your cam is super clear, you wont be able to get the license plate if its a side impact anyway. i fixed mine DIY with hidden wires etc for 125 niah... VGA quality.. not HD, but it does the job!

only complain are from the passengers coz of the blinking LED when its recording.. quite irritating to them, coz i mounted the cam on the passeger side, beside my rear view mirror.

Edited by Chrispie

i dont think that the clarity of number plate is crucial. What is more impt is recording the situation just before the accident. With the cam recording the impact etc, dont think number plate matters. Both vehicles would have impact zones that match those on the video clip, and dont think anyone can stage the exact accident, especially when there's also time stamp on the video.

if video shows u traveling straight and a kuku car jz barged in and smash your side, that alone should do a lot for your claim on the other party. Even if your cam is super clear, you wont be able to get the license plate if its a side impact anyway. i fixed mine DIY with hidden wires etc for 125 niah... VGA quality.. not HD, but it does the job!

only complain are from the passengers coz of the blinking LED when its recording.. quite irritating to them, coz i mounted the cam on the passeger side, beside my rear view mirror.

simple solution, just paste a black piece of paper or something over the lights

has been hunting around for one.

budget abt $250 any recommandation.

I wan those can run direct from car battery.

Checked around for three weeks cant decide. any advice?

I recommend this one : http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35356

- High resolution of WXGA 1280*720 Pixels clearly recognize the faces or car plate

- View range: 120

Hi Adrian,

Prior to the incident, how do you power the unit via the car charger or tap to somewhere?

quite ugly with a wire running down windscreen tapping to car charger

Wire is ran under the roof liner -> to the A pillar -> under steering column -> to the cig lighter.

Totally out of sight.

actually i don mind paying upto 350 for a good set. CCD lens will be great!

with or without monitor doesnt matter to me. no date and time stamping also no problem, so long it is clear enough to record the car plate no., day and night.

no need surveillance too. just plain driving. but must be connect ot the car battery for auto on and off....think for my budget not too tough la hor?

the set recommended got many complaints for not satisfactory night vision.

Wire is ran under the roof liner -> to the A pillar -> under steering column -> to the cig lighter.

Totally out of sight.

Thanks for the wire routing info. will keep that in mind if decide to change

the device will start recording once u on engine. It will stop recording once u off engine. Plug n play.

↡ Advertisement