Nitrogen pumped up tyres...

Ken4555

hi all...

this topic has been discussed before i'm sure...

well lately i read tis article by NUS motoring club Mr. MAHINDRA... he said his tyres were pumped with nitrogen and that his tyre pressur was STILL THE SAME AFTER 10000KM... sure anot???

i understand Nitrogen in present in the air... so there will be nitrogen in our tyres even if we used a normal air pump... after awhile air will escape... in a matter of a few day as i have noticed.... but the nitrogen inside will still be there... so after say 20000km of driving and pumping once a week... the percentage of nitrogen WILL increase correct?... maybe if tyres last long enuf eventually will be mostly nitrogen in the tyres... haha [laugh]

anyways those of you who have nitrogen filled tyres... is it true 10000km still same tyre pressure??? if yes i am going to head off immediately to fill my tyres with nitrogen... keke... ^_^

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

for me, after 1 month pressure drop already, top up one more time and pressure still drop.

so now back to normal air, free and less hassle.

for me, after 1 month pressure drop already, top up one more time and pressure still drop.

so now back to normal air, free and less hassle.

tats wat i thought... 10000km never drop pressure never drop???? maybe he measured when tyres were VERY hot...

hi all...

well lately i read tis article by NUS motoring club Mr. MAHINDRA... he said his tyres were pumped with nitrogen and that his tyre pressur was STILL THE SAME AFTER 10000KM... sure anot???

i understand Nitrogen in present in the air... so there will be nitrogen in our tyres even if we used a normal air pump... after awhile air will escape... in a matter of a few day as i have noticed.... but the nitrogen inside will still be there... so after say 20000km of driving and pumping once a week... the percentage of nitrogen WILL increase correct?... maybe if tyres last long enuf eventually will be mostly nitrogen in the tyres... haha [laugh]

anyways those of you who have nitrogen filled tyres... is it true 10000km still same tyre pressure??? if yes i am going to head off immediately to fill my tyres with nitrogen... keke... ^_^

i believe the percentage of nitrogen present will maintain the equilibrium amount due to its partial pressure in the atmosphere

(edited)

tats wat i thought... 10000km never drop pressure never drop???? maybe he measured when tyres were VERY hot...

My experience with Nitrogen filled tires is that this is not possible at all. Furthermore, I religiously checked my tires every week and make an effort to top up once a fortnight. The difference is that lesser air are being released from the rubbers as compared to using normal air and this difference is simply too insignificant. It may make a little more difference if you have a damaged tyre punctured by a sharp object (still stuck inside the tyre) which I did not know until 1 week later I went to check my tires. My workshop mechanic told me that for normal air filled tyres, I would have seen the flattening of the affected tire.

Anyway, I have switched back to normal air which contains 78% nitrogen. Might as well you pay me S$5 bucks and I use the air pump in petrol kiosk to pump yr rubbers. [laugh]

Edited by Yuan

hi all...

my own experience with nitrogen tyre , yes they last longer, u can compare, its only 20 buks to solve your querly.

and yes i can 100% confirm they dun increase in pressure as much as normal air, u can test your self also, normal air, u pump 32 psi, u drive to work, u check again,

then u switch to nitrogen 99% inflat tyres, u drive to work, ( same gauge use when before and after )

100% nitrogen $5

Air 78%, then must pay $3.90 to pump air next time :D

i believe some places, u buy the tyre from them u got life time free top up, and some places even provide free nitrogen pump , ( u must line up of course )

Actually each time you check the tire pressure, when you pull out the pressure gauge some air pressure will escape. So for those who check every week might as well dun pump 100% nitrogen, waste your money, go back to normal air.

I'm on my 3rd set of nitrogen filled tires. Previous set I only ask AD to check and fill up when I do my 10000km interval servicing, after that I dun even have to touch or check them until the next servicing. It's a pay one time $40 and dan anytime can go fill up w/o further charges. I changed the tires after 40000km of usage, tires grooves still there can last another 10000km+- before totally botak.

For those who are tire pressure fanatic checkers I suggest you get a TMPS(Tire pressure monitoring system). No need to use the pressure gauge to check so frequently. And it will give you that peace of mind.

Actually each time you check the tire pressure, when you pull out the pressure gauge some air pressure will escape. So for those who check every week might as well dun pump 100% nitrogen, waste your money, go back to normal air.

I'm on my 3rd set of nitrogen filled tires. Previous set I only ask AD to check and fill up when I do my 10000km interval servicing, after that I dun even have to touch or check them until the next servicing. It's a pay one time $40 and dan anytime can go fill up w/o further charges. I changed the tires after 40000km of usage, tires grooves still there can last another 10000km+- before totally botak.

For those who are tire pressure fanatic checkers I suggest you get a TMPS(Tire pressure monitoring system). No need to use the pressure gauge to check so frequently. And it will give you that peace of mind.

TPMS might not be accurate enough for very minute change.

• Praise 1

IMHO, there is a possibility depending on driving pattern which is why there is different outcome among drivers who use nitrogen.

In my own experience, when the tyre heats it, the pressure is lower with nitrogen than with air. Thus, this could be a concern for drivers using nitrogen who pump at the recommended tyre pressure.

To me the nitrogen or regular air pump makes the difference. Most important part is the air dryer which removes the moisture content present in the air. Water is what causes the fluctuation in air pressure in most cases.

To me, good to have, but not Must have.

If free during normal svcing by certain wkshop, why not..

Paying $5 per pump, can last for how long? i rather spend the $$ for makan.

• Praise 1

In the past, I have to pump air into the tires every month, but I have not done that ever since nitrogen goes into my tire. I pump nitrogen when I first changed my tires after getting my ride. After 3 months, the tires still look fully inflated, and no sign of under-inflation. I'm sure if tested scientifically using instruments, there will be indication of some loss of air, but the fact is, 3 months I've not pumped air into the tyres and I do not feel the the car is being dragged by under-inflated tyres.

So nitrogen in the tyres works for me.

• Praise 1

In the past, I have to pump air into the tires every month, but I have not done that ever since nitrogen goes into my tire. I pump nitrogen when I first changed my tires after getting my ride. After 3 months, the tires still look fully inflated, and no sign of under-inflation. I'm sure if tested scientifically using instruments, there will be indication of some loss of air, but the fact is, 3 months I've not pumped air into the tyres and I do not feel the the car is being dragged by under-inflated tyres.

So nitrogen in the tyres works for me.

Just to let you know, at a glance, my screw punctured tyre at 150kpa looks the same as the other which is 220kpa.

believe it or not, there is nothing in this world that can make 100% concentrated.

so, this nitrogen gas theory is not true.

once a certain percentage of "other gases" went into your so-called nitrogen filled tyre, there will still be a leak.

end of the day, just my opinion -> pump your tyres at the nearest petrol station.

by the way, you can choose not to believe me if so happen that your nitrogen filled tyres work wonders for you. :-)