Nitrogen pumped up tyres...

Ken4555

imho.. dun need nitrogen... esp for those who check tyre pressure once a fortnight, u might as well stick to the normal air pump at petrol station

anyway, its good to check your tyres at least once every fortnight.. by pumping air.. at least if theres any leakage or watever, u may be able to detect.. and its convenient (maybe not for all)

fill up nitrogen must still go back the same tyre shop? i feel its quite troublesome...

nitrogen filled tyres.. nice to have.. but not necessary...

for me.. that is..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My experience with Nitrogen filled tires is that this is not possible at all. Furthermore, I religiously checked my tires every week and make an effort to top up once a fortnight. The difference is that lesser air are being released from the rubbers as compared to using normal air and this difference is simply too insignificant. It may make a little more difference if you have a damaged tyre punctured by a sharp object (still stuck inside the tyre) which I did not know until 1 week later I went to check my tires. My workshop mechanic told me that for normal air filled tyres, I would have seen the flattening of the affected tire.

Anyway, I have switched back to normal air which contains 78% nitrogen. Might as well you pay me S$5 bucks and I use the air pump in petrol kiosk to pump yr rubbers. [laugh]

haha... cause i see stamford tyres at Tuas got a nitrogen pump can help yourself right? if i not their customer can use anot ah? will they know? or must show some pass or receipt?

[laugh]

thanks for sharing all your points...

i have my conclusion now...

nitrogen filled tyres to last 10000km without losing presure is b-------t... so i will not spend a cent to pump my tyres when i can get free air at almost any station if not all stations... :D

my findings on air pumps at stations...

*some stations pumps are in great condition... fills fast... some are half dead... fills slow...

*my company van i pump 50PSI... some stations pump got no strenght to reach the pressure and you must wait like mad...

*air pumps at stations are never accurate... so i usually pump till the beep comes along... then i pump again for the beep a 2nd time... this usually pisses ppl waiting in queue [laugh] ... but i normally smile to them so less likey they get pissed... except for once this malay biker he... never mind long story....

I've been using for 5 years already..nitrogen loses the air pressure slower..don't think can last 10k..sounds so far fetched [laugh]

Actually each time you check the tire pressure, when you pull out the pressure gauge some air pressure will escape. So for those who check every week might as well dun pump 100% nitrogen, waste your money, go back to normal air.

I'm on my 3rd set of nitrogen filled tires. Previous set I only ask AD to check and fill up when I do my 10000km interval servicing, after that I dun even have to touch or check them until the next servicing. It's a pay one time $40 and dan anytime can go fill up w/o further charges. I changed the tires after 40000km of usage, tires grooves still there can last another 10000km+- before totally botak.

For those who are tire pressure fanatic checkers I suggest you get a TMPS(Tire pressure monitoring system). No need to use the pressure gauge to check so frequently. And it will give you that peace of mind.

but if you are not an aggressive drive coupled with good wear tyres, they can last more than 40k km. not a factor caused by nitrogen

but if you are not an aggressive drive coupled with good wear tyres, they can last more than 40k km. not a factor caused by nitrogen

this is how nitrogen fill tyre affect wear on tyres.

lets say u pump a tyre with normal air 32psi, u run pie start to end or, u go n.s highway , end of trip u check your tyre pressure , around 40psi? if u are frequently doing those kind of run , and your tyre alway travelling at 40 psi (aga aga) , end result??

u might have uneven wear tyre, cos its over pressure.

ok , now case 2, u pump the tyre with nitrogen same 32 psi , end of trip , u compare the different in tyre pressure with using normal air, different test come out with different reading,

but 1 thing is for sure, the pressure is lower by alot , its allow your tyre to run at a more constant pressure, and extend tyre life.

100% nitrogen $5

Air 78%, then must pay $3.90 to pump air next time :D

Shhh... [lipsrsealed] ..What if the petrol kiosks read this? [:p]

My very first set of nitrogen filled tires lasted me over 50k mileage.

But I decided to change after that for safety reasons.

lets say u pump a tyre with normal air 32psi, u run pie start to end or, u go n.s highway , end of trip u check your tyre pressure , around 40psi? if u are frequently doing those kind of run , and your tyre alway travelling at 40 psi (aga aga) , end result??

ok , now case 2, u pump the tyre with nitrogen same 32 psi , end of trip , u compare the different in tyre pressure with using normal air, different test come out with different reading,

but 1 thing is for sure, the pressure is lower by alot , its allow your tyre to run at a more constant pressure, and extend tyre life.

probably you are right. But u got me thinking

new tyres fill with air = 78% N, 21% O2, 1% others

loss of pressure ie O and other escape

Pump more air. history repeat

There will be a point where most of the gas in the tyres are N??

haha... cause i see stamford tyres at Tuas got a nitrogen pump can help yourself right? if i not their customer can use anot ah? will they know? or must show some pass or receipt?

[laugh]

Not sure about this. I think they do observe the rubbers that are running on your car. ST only distributes/sells certain brands of rubbers. Some people can install the tires at one ST outlet and go to another ST outlet to pump nitrogen at time of their convenience. I am not totally sure of how they work.

Yes. My pressure loss quite rapid thus after about 3 months (i think) i gradually pump less frequently.

Manufacturer recommend (at least on the tyre placard in my glove compartment) different pressure for normal load, maximum load and high speed - using normal air.

In your example, effectively, safety could be compromised because the tyre is running on lower pressure with nitrogen.

E.g.

if with normal air, at cold, the pressure is 32psi. After running in, the tyre pressure could be 36psi. That should correspond with the desired results.

if with nitrogen, at cold, the pressure is 32psi. After running in, the tyre pressure could be 34psi. That deviates from the recommended result.

probably you are right. But u got me thinking

new tyres fill with air = 78% N, 21% O2, 1% others

loss of pressure ie O and other escape

Pump more air. history repeat

thats wat i thought too... so my tyres should be 90+% nitrogen already... and the fact is that nitrogen filled tyres will never be 100% nitrogen unless you fill the tyres in a vaccum tank...

according to bro Cerano... the percentage of nitrogen present will maintain the equilibrium amount due to its partial pressure in the atmosphere

so with all these contridicting logic... paying $ to fill our tyres with Nitrogen is like adding additives in the fuel tank... different butt dynos get different results...

for me i have been fine with regular air for years... tyre wear rate doesnt cost me an arm or a leg...

so unless nitrogen air comes with the tyre package... i would not pay for it...

^_^

Manufacturer recommend (at least on the tyre placard in my glove compartment) different pressure for normal load, maximum load and high speed - using normal air.

In your example, effectively, safety could be compromised because the tyre is running on lower pressure with nitrogen.

E.g.

if with normal air, at cold, the pressure is 32psi. After running in, the tyre pressure could be 36psi. That should correspond with the desired results.

if with nitrogen, at cold, the pressure is 32psi. After running in, the tyre pressure could be 34psi. That deviates from the recommended result.

Good argument... [thumbsup]

thanks... now even more confused.... :wacko:

Good argument... [thumbsup]

thanks... now even more confused.... :wacko:

Simplified version.

1) If use air, you're alright - until the air slowly becomes mostly nitrogen where you'll need to go to 2)

2) If use nitrogen, you probably need to relook at your tyre pressure.

[;)]

P.S. Not really an argument but what I've experienced so far.

Hoho.... I don't believe in spending $$$ to pump air into the tyre. Yes, using N2 instead of air does affects tyre pressure but I don't really care. I just check my tyre pressure every week when I go pump petrol. Usual routine.

FYI, another gas to consider is CO2. Ferrari is using CO2 in their F1 tyres.

Hoho.... I don't believe in spending $$$ to pump air into the tyre. Yes, using N2 instead of air does affects tyre pressure but I don't really care. I just check my tyre pressure every week when I go pump petrol. Usual routine.

FYI, another gas to consider is CO2. Ferrari is using CO2 in their F1 tyres.

wat benefits could CO2 possibly have?

↡ Advertisement